Join Early Retirement Today

What does the term "ER" mean to U?
Old 06-06-2006, 06:22 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

What does the term "ER" mean to U?

After reading this forum’s content the last few months, I started to think about the term “ER” and what it actually means.

The term is referred to in discussion http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...?topic=5392.15 but only as an acronym.

I don’t want to start an “argument”, but I do want to know what your definition of ER is.* I have my own, but I’ll let others contribute before I comment (no, I’m not afraid of being “beat up” – I’m just being a “gentleman”!)

According to Webster’s, one of the definitions of “retirement” is “withdrawal from one's position or occupation or from active working life”.

Consideration of this statement must include the definition of “active working life”.* If I work part-time (my decision) am I retired?* My son is disabled and receives a Social Security check (SSD – based upon his income when he was working).* Being that he’s also on Medicare, does this make him “retired” (actually ER) since he has “withdrawn from his position”?

Does being retired actually mean both people in a “partnership” arrangement?* My FIL worked in a mill for 35 years; my MIL stayed home during that time to maintain the household and raise the kids.* Did he retire (when he left the mill?)* Did my MIL ever “retire” (according to the dictionary, she never “withdrew from her position”)!

Like the word “millionaire”, the term ER could (and does) have several “interpretations”.

What’s yours?

- Ron

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: What does the term "ER" mean to U?
Old 06-06-2006, 08:02 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ron: I retired 20 years ago. Like your in-laws, my wife never worked outside of household.
After kids were pretty much raised, we left the area, and built a home in N. Calif. We never had a windfall, (Stock Options, Inheritence, nor will ever receive one).

Your question is a valid one. Especially on a board like this, where visitors are trying to get a handle on whether they can financially retire on their assetts.

For me personally, (for practical purposes, and no other reason), I tend to lose interest in a posters game plan when one member of the household is still working, and contributing income, health ins. etc.

I stumbled onto this board about 2 and a half years ago, and have found that I have very little in common (financially) with the majority of the posters. However, the entertainment value has kept me in the ball-game.

In any case, my definition of "retired" (as relates to this board), is the absence of earned income in the household.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
[quote

Ron:* I retired 20 years ago.* Like your in-laws, my wife never worked outside of household.
After kids were pretty much raised, we left the area, and built a home in N. Calif.* We never had a windfall, (Stock Options, Inheritence, nor will ever receive one).

Your question is a valid one.* Especially on a board like this, where visitors are trying to get a handle on whether they can financially retire on their assetts.

For me personally, (for practical purposes, and no other reason), I tend to lose interest in a posters game plan when one member of the household is still working, and contributing income, health ins. etc.

I stumbled onto this board about 2 and a half years ago, and have found that I have very little in common (financially) with the majority of the posters.* However, the entertainment value has kept me in the ball-game.

In any case, my definition of "retired" (as relates to this board), is the absence of earned income in the household.

Jarhead, you right, man.* No earned income in this household.* However, there are those who would dispute whether anything I ever received was "earned".** Now, my only assignment is to live as long as you.* It's tough, but somebody's gotta do it.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:15 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting to hear your thoughts, Jarhead. *

I guess I don't really mentally separate the FI from the RE of FIRE. *If you have the cabbage to RE, then you are your own person and are no longer beholden to a paycheck/employer. *IOW, you can do what you damn well please. *If that includes working in some fashion, who am I to turn my nose up at what someone wants to do with their time?

As for the "non-working" spouse, I think that in most cases I wouldn't consider them "retired" until the kids are grown up.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:20 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I worked, wife worked. Neither of us works now. *Total attitude change . *Every day is saturday. *Do what we want. *I guess that sums it up. *
Old 06-06-2006, 08:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a
...If I work part-time (my decision) am I retired?...
You are semi-retired. *

To me, semi-retirement means working anywhere from 1 to about 20 hours a week on average where YOU decide the number of hours of work you will do and YOU decide when you are going to work. *Ideally, you want to find a low-stress or no-stress job for yourself that allows you to stop working after you reach a certain dollar amount.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*

I agree. When there is still someone in the household bringing in earned income of any kind or has a job providing health insurance for the household, at best you could say you are semi-retired.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
I agree.* When there is still someone in the household bringing in earned income of any kind or has a j*b providing health insurance for the household, at best you could say you are semi-retired.
Ok, here I go!

Yes, for me the above, and the reference of Jarhead of "absence of earned income in the household" fits my idea of the actual term of "retirement".

Now for some fun* .* I guess that we jointly think that CFB is not actually retired!!!!

- Ron
Old 06-06-2006, 09:09 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a

Now for some fun . I guess that we jointly think that CFB is not actually retired!!!!

- Ron
I try not to let my joint do my thinking for me.

Of course he isn't retired. He works full time as an auto buyer.

nm

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:20 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!

I try not to let my joint do my thinking for me.
Of course he isn't retired. He works full time as an auto buyer.

nm
Just curious: how did you get your joint a job as an auto buyer?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:27 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

So, let me understand. If I have a DBP which includes health insurance I cannot be considered retired? Most of us former feds will never get to be retired then. Also, if my spouse works part time, I'm not retired? How does her/his job have anthing to do with me? My spouse could make $15,000 a year, and I wouldn't be retired, but someone bringing in $150,000 in dividends is retired just because their income is passive. As we say out here in Iowa, I'm cornfused.

setab
Old 06-06-2006, 09:30 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Same as with stocks and stuff.

I keep telling you people - ti's da hormones man - it's the hormones.

Why don't you cats listen!

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh
Old 06-06-2006, 09:36 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by setab
So, let me understand. If I have a DBP which includes health insurance I cannot be considered retired?
I think the poster specifically mentioned health care as the result of having a job:

Quote:
...or has a j*b providing health insurance for the household, at best you could say you are semi-retired.
Don't see having health insurance as a pension benefit as having any impact on the definition of being "retired". Now on how quickly you can get to retirement, that's an entirely different story.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:28 AM   #14

I know I'm retired because I'm just like all those old retirees who were in my way when I was at the grindstone:

1. I get my hair cut at lunch just to annoy the working guys who only have an hour.
2. I go to Walgreens for Frappacino at 7:45 just to clog the line. Make em late.
3. I act befuddled and slow at counting out change when a long queue is behind me.
4. I stop mid aisle with my cart and act puzzled.

A bit of fun in the Golden Years.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:40 AM   #15

We all seem to be talking past the question here. The real issue, as I see it is: how to interpret advice about funding your lifestyle in retirement from someone who has a working spouse or some other source of earned income if you don't expect to have such a source when you are "retired". I think we all tend to place more weight on advice from someone who is in the same or similar circumstances to ourselves. If I expect to have income only from a DBP and investments when I retire, then advice from someone who is "retired" but has a full time working spouse probably won't be too relevant. In the end it doesn't really matter how "retired" is defined as long as we make our circumstances explicit and don't expect everyone to interpret the state of being "retired" the same way.

Grumpy
Old 06-06-2006, 10:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
I know I'm retired because I'm just like all those old retirees who were in my way when I was at the grindstone:

1.* I get my hair cut at lunch just to annoy the working guys who only have an hour.
2.* I go to Walgreens for Frappacino at 7:45 just to clog the line.* Make em late.
3.* I act befuddled and slow at counting out change when a long queue is behind me.
4.* I stop mid aisle with my cart and act puzzled.

A bit of fun in the Golden Years.
I bet you do your grocery shopping at noon on a Saturday, also?

(I thought I saw your #4 last week...)

- Ron
Old 06-06-2006, 10:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Quote:
...or has a j*b providing health insurance for the household, at best you could say you are semi-retired.
Don't see having health insurance as a pension benefit as having any impact on the definition of being "retired".
I never said having health insurance as a pension benefit as having any impact on the definition of being retired. *I said having a job providing health insurance for the household. *There is a difference.

Having the additional comfort or security of having someone in the household bringing in cash and benefits is a huge help. *If you need $40K a year to "retire" and you have $800,000 in assets AND you have a spouse bringing in enough funds and benefits to allow you to take less than a 4% draw on your assets, it would be disingenuous to say you retired on $800,000.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:08 AM   #18
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

I'm not sure it makes much difference. The "FI" and "RE" acronyms were combined long ago because so many of the issues are the same.

Retired versus semi-retired versus FI/working? I think it has to be what you are doing and why.

To paraphrase the definition of "rich" from a Scott Burns column recently discussed elsewhere, if you are doing what you want, and you wouldn't change things much or at all if the money changed significantly, then you have achieved what people work a lifetime to achieve, and whether you call it "retired" or something else, you're doing what you want.

If you are no longer getting a paycheck, but feel you have to spend 25+ hours a month managing your stock investments, one could say that you are even less "retired" than the person who needs to work for a paycheck 10-20 hours a month to meet their income wants and needs. *

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:09 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
We all seem to be talking past the question here.* The real issue, as I see it is:* how to interpret advice about funding your lifestyle in retirement from someone who has a working spouse or some other source of earned income if you don't expect to have such a source when you are "retired".* I think we all tend to place more weight on advice from someone who is in the same or similar circumstances to ourselves.* If I expect to have income only from a DBP and investments when I retire, then advice from someone who is "retired" but has a full time working spouse probably won't be too relevant.* In the end it doesn't really matter how "retired" is defined as long as we make our circumstances explicit and don't expect everyone to interpret the state of being "retired" the same way.

* *Grumpy
Well said. *I agree.

setab
Old 06-06-2006, 12:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
We all seem to be talking past the question here.* The real issue, as I see it is:* how to interpret advice about funding your lifestyle in retirement from someone who has a working spouse or some other source of earned income if you don't expect to have such a source when you are "retired".* I think we all tend to place more weight on advice from someone who is in the same or similar circumstances to ourselves.* If I expect to have income only from a DBP and investments when I retire, then advice from someone who is "retired" but has a full time working spouse probably won't be too relevant.* In the end it doesn't really matter how "retired" is defined as long as we make our circumstances explicit and don't expect everyone to interpret the state of being "retired" the same way.

* *Grumpy
Hey Grumpster: I believe you're the only poster so far that interpreted correctly what I was trying to say.

Good job. Especially impressive is the fact that you're so young and inexperienced.

Regards, Jarhead