Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-18-2016, 08:24 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We downsized by ~2000 ft2. The biggest challenge for us was getting more storage in the smaller house. We ended up installing two large racks that hang down from the ceiling in the garage and hold quite a lot of stuff. The other challenge we had, is that a lot of our furniture has been a poor fit both in size and appearance for this much newer home. We have been slowly replacing some furniture pieces and coming up with more functional and better appearing rooms.

Any how, downsizing worked out great, reduced our taxes by almost 50%, and the same with utility costs and house cleaning tasks. Further, our yards are maintained as part of the HOA expense, which has saved us both time and money compared to the former mega mansion's half acre.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2016, 09:16 AM   #42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
We downsized by ~2000 ft2. The biggest challenge for us was getting more storage in the smaller house. We ended up installing two large racks that hang down from the ceiling in the garage and hold quite a lot of stuff. The other challenge we had, is that a lot of our furniture has been a poor fit both in size and appearance for this much newer home. We have been slowly replacing some furniture pieces and coming up with more functional and better appearing rooms.

Any how, downsizing worked out great, reduced our taxes by almost 50%, and the same with utility costs and house cleaning tasks. Further, our yards are maintained as part of the HOA expense, which has saved us both time and money compared to the former mega mansion's half acre.
What a great change that must be! The cost of any new furniture you might select can eventually be covered by the lower costs of taxes, utilities, and so on.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:30 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
What a great change that must be! The cost of any new furniture you might select can eventually be covered by the lower costs of taxes, utilities, and so on.
I moved from a condo to an over 55 mobile home park with a manufactured home. Space rent is about $600 a month. My condo HOA was 400 and taxes were about $233, so I am at a break even point because my taxes are now $30 a month
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I moved from a condo to an over 55 mobile home park with a manufactured home. Space rent is about $600 a month. My condo HOA was 400 and taxes were about $233, so I am at a break even point because my taxes are now $30 a month
I hope you got a good price for your condo. That could be a boost to your nest egg, even though your monthly expenses are at a break even point.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:54 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I hope you got a good price for your condo. That could be a boost to your nest egg, even though your monthly expenses are at a break even point.
After living there 26 years it did not owe me anything. However, the proceeds were enough to pay for our new home and the balance divided among our 4 sons
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:25 PM   #46

Many members here don't have much use for the AARP, but they do offer some very good information for people in the retirement age bracket. Here's one particularly good article that goes into decluttering, along with some interesting estimates of cost to keep or get rid of.

Downsizing and Moving? Items to Throw Away Before Relocating - AARP
Old 06-07-2016, 03:47 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
DW is really good at getting rid of "stuff". So I have gradually adapted and we have a rule: If you have not used or referred to it in a year, you don't need it. It does not matter how good that book was. It goes to someone who might benefit from it.

If you find a need for it in the future, buy it online in soft copy. Far less of a fire hazard! And easier to move. We can leave books in the lobby of our condo and recycle automatically. In Mexico, there is a lovely coffee shop called "A Page in the Sun" who gives you partial credit against the purchase of other hard copy books in their extensive library.

(I think it was cassettes that taught me that lesson. Technology made them obsolete!)