what dvds have you rented lately?

The two best recently were:

Little Miss Sunshine

and

Thank you for Smoking

Grumpy

Takes a really good movie to impress me anymore. Son-in-laws rented 'Little Miss Sunshine' over Christmas--pretty good but I can't believe it's getting all those nominations. Rented 'Devil Wears Prada' last weekend and took it when visiting daughter--wife and daughter liked it, didn't do much for me. Rented Showtimes 'Weeds' series--O.K., but not that great. Took the last 2 back to the video store the day they were due when out running all my errands. Always open and check the holders just to be anal--'Weeds' was still home in the DVD player-Grrrrrr--had to make 2 trips--gets me to thinking about that Netflix / Blockbuster mail thing. Next one I want to try is 'The Departed'.

I just saw Little Miss Sunshine last weekend...very funny....the little girl in it stold the show and has the funniest dance routine since Napoleon Dynomite ;) ....

2nd hand lions - just a great movie

Groundhog day - never get sick of it!

The movie I never get sick of is "What about Bob " . I always find it amusing .Maybe that's a seperate thread the movie you never get sick of.

Just finished Samurai Champloo (anime). Have "Is Paris Burning" up next.

I signed up for Blockbusters "total access" plan a few weeks ago. For $17.99 a month I get 3 movies at a time through their online site - I was always resistant to the idea of waiting for movies to arrive in the mail , but, with total access it takes care of that concern. Whenever I finish watching the movies that were mailed to me, I walk over to the local Blockbuster store and I can get three new movies to rent. Meanwhile they check the online movies in for me, and 3 new ones arrive two-three days later. It is a very cool program and I always have movies to watch.

I like documentaries and every so often I sign up with Netflix again so I can catch up with what I've missed.
Some favorites lately: "Murderball" and "The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill."

"Deadwood". Best TV show ever. The language is over-the-top
profane (you will probably hear the F-word 100+ times in a
typical episode) but authentic and makes total sense when you
hear David Milch (the great David Milch, I have to say now)
describing it. Basically, he has made cop shows for his entire
writing career (most notably "NYPD Blue") so he thought it
would be interesting to explore a community that is almost
completely lawless.

Last night we watched "The Times of Harvey Milk." Wow, that was a great documentary!

I love netflix Kinkyboots

Hearts-n-souls

Chocalat

My Cousin Vinny

I only do 'happily ever after'

The Magdalene Sisters
Sophie Scholl
L'enfant
(free library rentals)

want to see Marie Antoinette and Borat

we have "Munich" at home waiting to be seen, that we rented with the 1 free video coupon.

DW and I watched the Fellini classic "Nights of Cabiria".
I was deeply touched (I'm a real crybaby sometimes!) It was really a great, great film.

I liked Heart and Souls, but never saw the other three.

It sounds like you might enjoy some of the movies we've reviewed at our website.... (and bonus: Almost all of them we rented through Netflix)

Turtle said:
I love netflix Kinkyboots

Hearts-n-souls

Chocalat

My Cousin Vinny

I only do 'happily ever after'

I was in the mood for some light comedy and asked the young woman and young man behind the counter for a recommendation. They mentioned a couple of titles, one of them being "Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle". That was one of the silliest but also one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. If you are very orthodox/conservative in your outlook and lifestyle or easily take offense at stereotypes (and this movie makes fun of everyone!), you might not enjoy it. I think the target audience is probably those in their late teens or twenties. But I'm over 50 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Neil Patrick Henry and Chris Meloni had great bit parts in the movie.

"Office Space", which I had mentioned in a prior post, is another really funny one. Anyone who has ever worked in an office can relate to it. Highly recommend it.

mickeyd said:
I don't rent them any more. The last one that I checked out from th local library was The Great Raid

Me too mick. DW got us both hooked up with the area library system on line its free. We watch stuff like "24" and that dopey "Lost". FOR FREE and we watch the whole season in one week :p :)

Not to mention the books we order, nords?....

Bump on this thread....somebody suggested Huff and rented the first season...looks like it only lasted 2 on Showtime....it is really good to start but gets kinda cheesy by the end of the first season...the kid is pretty funny as is the lawyer and mom...I didnt watch it much when it was on tv, but Heroes on dvd is also good...

Last edited:
Transformers was funny

Marie Antoinette - lavish but eminently forgettable
Borat - painful

The Wire, seasons 1-3. Really outstanding writing and acting. But makes it almost impossible to tolerate regular TV cop shows afterwards.

The Wire is absolutely the best crime drama ever O0 - too bad no one watches it.

Back
Top Bottom