Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

what dvds have you rented lately?
Old 11-15-2006, 09:39 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

what dvds have you rented lately?

or in Dan's case (copied)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: what dvds have you rented lately?
Old 11-15-2006, 09:51 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

The Wire, seasons 1-3. Really outstanding writing and acting. But makes it almost impossible to tolerate regular TV cop shows afterwards.
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:14 AM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

I normally do not rent DVD's I will buy them and then watch at my lesuire. I found it saves money in the long run.
Half elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:39 AM   #4

I stopped netflix when we went to Italy for a month--and never restarted. I had a hard time with online movie rental--the space between ordering a movie and receiving it too often resulted in my loss of interest. I sent a lot back unwatched. Now if I could download a movie the moment I became interested in it--I would get that service in a heartbeat! My husband and a colleague (software and hardware engineers, respectively) started designing a home server for that purpose about 10 years ago. Couldn't sell it to their employer or, after they left, get venture funding, although they did get to present their idea to several venture funds. I even named the company (first things first ). But I digress!

My bother buys a lot of DVDs so I borrow from him--actually, he just brings a few with him that he thinks we might like whenever he comes over. Recently he brought "V is for Vendetta' and "Sin City" for DH and "Thank You for Smoking" for both of us. And since we told our neighbors that we're planning to buy an RV soonish, they lent us "RV." Plan to watch it tonight.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:43 AM   #5

If someone wants my recommendations and you use netflix, i can add you to my friend's list. I'm a netflix regular.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 11:23 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I almost always borrow from the public library and the local community college libe. So, I don't always watch the newest. I reserve those I'm interested in and watch them while they come in, and browse through available stuff when I want to watch something soon.

Just saw "Capote" last week, and "Sliding Doors" a couple of weeks ago. Both were good--one serious and dark, the other light and funny.
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:42 PM   #7

Two of the best movies I've seen lately are:

Wedding Crashers - Road Trip/American Pie type humor. I thought it was hilarious.

Boondock Saints - about 2 brothers that start killing contract killers/mobsters/etc. Actually quite humorous if you like sick humor. Quite violent, lotsa language, minor nudity, etc.

-CC
Old 11-15-2006, 02:25 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

duh duh duh, duh duh duh duh...............MI-3. Was alright, again, more unbelievable action sequences. Not unbelievable as, "wow, I can't believe they just did that" but "wow, why did they even bother filming that"!
Old 11-15-2006, 02:48 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

I don't rent them any more. The last one that I checked out from th local library was The Great Raid

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:18 PM   #10

MI-3 - underimpressed
Davinci code - booooooring - turned it off after 30 minutes
Behind Enemy Lines 2 - Axis of evil - great! Set in N. Korea - provides historical context for movie (pretty good for an action movie).

All 6 star wars movies - the older 3 are "classics" to me

Las Vegas seasons 1-3 (the tv series) - great show

Michael Palin's Pole to Pole Adventure

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:20 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I normally do not rent DVD's I will buy them and then watch at my lesuire. I found it saves money in the long run.
How often do you watch the video? Around here it costs only $1 to rent a video, free at library or recorded from TV.

Quote:
Sliding Doors
I enjoyed this. We recorded it, but the DVR had a brain fart, and the last two minutes didn't get recorded (Viewus Interruptus!). But it came on TV again a month later so we finally saw the ending.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:37 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

The kid has a $15 DVD player in her TV stand, but we don't have one in ours. We don't even rent VHS anymore... just record & watch favorite cable programs.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:41 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

We just watched "The Lake House" with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock. I was pleasantly surprised.

Currently in the Netflix queue are "Smallville" season two and "The Flash". I'm going to have to have words with DH about why "The Frisco Kid" which I added to the queue back in... June? July?... hasn't come yet.
peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:54 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Elizabethtown - decent
Saw - skeery, but that genre is not really my cup 'o' tea
An American Haunting - ditto
Thank You For Smoking - interesting spoof, lots of cameos
Crash - not bad
You, Me, and Dupree - gag
Lake House - decent

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:20 PM   #15

Lake House - watched that last weekend, I liked it as a chick flick, there was enough twists for dh to like it too.

Aviator - very surprised that I liked it, dh loved it.

RV - We had an old RV at one time and we could relate to some of the situations in the movie, we also love Robin Williams. Laughed many times at the movie and ourselves.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
The kid has a $15 DVD player in her TV stand, but we don't have one in ours. We don't even rent VHS anymore... just record & watch favorite cable programs.
I don't own a DVD player, and I don't rent VHS either. I also don't have cable. What do I do? Maybe you've heard of it. It's called reading.

JG
Old 11-15-2006, 05:48 PM   #17

I saw "Thank you for not smoking" last week also....pretty funny...the title character reminded me a bit of CFB
Old 11-15-2006, 06:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._johngalt
I don't own a DVD player, and I don't rent VHS either. I also don't have cable. What do I do? Maybe you've heard of it. It's called reading.

JG
Reading? A new movie?
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:22 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

"See Spot run..."

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I enjoyed this. We recorded it, but the DVR had a brain fart, and the last two minutes didn't get recorded (Viewus Interruptus!). But it came on TV again a month later so we finally saw the ending.
I couldn't predict how it ("Sliding Doors") would end--part of the reason it was enjoyable. Good you finally saw the ending.

I like movies that have twists and are quirky and unpredictable but fun, like "Being John Malkovich", "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", "Adaptation", and even "Pulp Fiction" and "Memento" despite their violence.

I also like some old movies that I've seen just in the past few years: "All About Eve", "Twelve Angry Men", "To Kill a Mockingbird", "Meet Me in St. Louis", "Swing Time", "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof", "Arsenic and Old Lace". These were like new to me because I did not grow up watching them. There are still lots of old treasures I haven't seen.
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote