Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
I have a 2010 Prius (LOVE THAT CAR!) and am just getting ready to take it in for it's 2nd oil change at 20K miles (they changed the recommendation from 5K to 10K between changes just when I bought it).
I suspect that's all the excuse I'll need for our 2005 & 2006 models! Does the dealer specify a number of months in addition to mileage? It takes us over a year to put on 5K miles.

Quote:
But I do check the tires monthly, as I have found a significant drop-off in fuel mileage when they are just 3-4 pounds low, and the TPMS only flags a 25% drop in pressure (8-9 pounds low).
Yep. But I'm lazy. I don't know if there's a TPMS for the spare tire, and I've seen too many people burn themselves on that, so I'm careful about checking it. But otherwise I haven't made checking tire pressure a part of my regular routine.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I have a 2010 Prius (LOVE THAT CAR!) and am just getting ready to take it in for it's 2nd oil change at 20K miles (they changed the recommendation from 5K to 10K between changes just when I bought it).

But I do check the tires monthly, as I have found a significant drop-off in fuel mileage when they are just 3-4 pounds low, and the TPMS only flags a 25% drop in pressure (8-9 pounds low).

EDIT: I usually go to Discount Tire which offers free tire checks, just drive up and they'll check and fill them while you're in the car.
They went to 10K because they switched over to synthetic oil. You received the first 2 oil changes for free but the price of the oil change is double so no great $ savings, just time.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I'm getting pretty slack on tire pressure too. I only gas up monthly, and Costco doesn't have an air pump.
Nords,

Are you sure? Where I am, one of the stores has an air line inside one of the service bays but easily accessible from outside. It's one of those modern guys where you set psi and it delivers, then beeps. There may be an offset between your gauge and theirs that you may have to account for depending on whose you trust, but it's been a lifesaver since no more free air anymore.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Are you sure? Where I am, one of the stores has an air line inside one of the service bays but easily accessible from outside. It's one of those modern guys where you set psi and it delivers, then beeps. There may be an offset between your gauge and theirs that you may have to account for depending on whose you trust, but it's been a lifesaver since no more free air anymore.
There's no public air by the gas pumps at Oahu's Waipio Costco, but there's an air hose by their service bays.

Is that service-bay air hose open to the public? I was under the impression that you had to buy your tires at Costco to be able to use their free air, but I've never asked. I've always bought my tires (and rotated them) at the Pearl Harbor Navy Exchange Autoport... for over 20 years now.

OTOH I've bought 50+ pizzas/year from Costco's food court for the last decade, so if they don't care who uses their air then I wouldn't feel bad about using it either...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
They went to 10K because they switched over to synthetic oil. You received the first 2 oil changes for free but the price of the oil change is double so no great $ savings, just time.
I understand that if you start off using dino oil in your car, it may not be wise to switch to synthetic, as you may be inviting your seals to leak. At least that was the conventional wisdom a few years ago.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I understand that if you start off using dino oil in your car, it may not be wise to switch to synthetic, as you may be inviting your seals to leak. At least that was the conventional wisdom a few years ago.
I don't know, either.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #27

Quote:
This is true! I put some synthetic in the tranny of my 73 and it came out all over the floor. Lucas and others do make a chemical that will enlarge the seals to prevent this, I don't know if it works.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #28

Quote:
I suspect that's all the excuse I'll need for our 2005 & 2006 models! Does the dealer specify a number of months in addition to mileage? It takes us over a year to put on 5K miles.
Yes, it's 10K or 12 months, so it wouldn't make any difference to you. I happen to drive almost exactly 10K/year.
Just found this nifty maintenance chart over at PriusChat:
2010 Prius Maintenance Schedule (US) | PriusChat

Quote:
I don't know if there's a TPMS for the spare tire, and I've seen too many people burn themselves on that, so I'm careful about checking it. .
Ah, good point, I should be checking my spare at least every couple of months. Thanks for the reminder.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Ah, good point, I should be checking my spare at least every couple of months. Thanks for the reminder.
Give yourself some extra time. I don't know about your model, but in our 2005 & 2006 the spare tire is stored under the gear basket in the back-- tire stem down. It's a colossal PITA to get at it, release it, turn it over, top it off, and then reassemble the storage.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:11 AM   #30

Quote:
I doubt it's true today, no 'low end' car maker delivers a car with synthetic, and a few K miles make no differebce.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I don't know, either.
Me Too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
This is true! I put some synthetic in the tranny of my 73 and it came out all over the floor. Lucas and others do make a chemical that will enlarge the seals to prevent this, I don't know if it works.
Your 73 might have seals that are different than today's models. I run synthetic in my post 2000 cars with out problems. In my 1960's cars I have trouble finding oil containing ZDDP. It doesn't stop leaks but it does stop the engine from self-destructing.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
I doubt it's true today, no 'low end' car maker delivers a car with synthetic, and a few K miles make no differebce.

Me Too.

Your 73 might have seals that are different than today's models. I run synthetic in my post 2000 cars with out problems. In my 1960's cars I have trouble finding oil containing ZDDP. It doesn't stop leaks but it does stop the engine from self-destructing.

Kumquat, I don't think you need to go back to pre-2000 era cars for this to occur, but your point about switching to synthetic after low miles on dino is probably OK.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #32
Dryer sheet wannabe

Switching between oil types. What Mobil has to say...

I have done this with several cars and never had a problem. Other great topics at the site.

Switching From Conventional Motor Oil to Mobil 1
Old 06-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post

I use Chevron Delo LE CJ 15W/40 Diesel Oil in my Chevelle. This has ZDDP in it. I also use some EOS from a GM dealer. I've been using this since the 60's.
Valvoline also offers ZDDP in a stand alone container.

In my 2010 Camry it calls for 0 W/20 synthetic. I use Mobil 1 in the Camry.

In DW's MB I also use Mobil 1 synthetic.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Nords,
Hey, thanks again for asking this question, Kaneohe. I asked the Costco mechanic yesterday and he said the air hose is free for anyone with a Costco card, whether or not we actually happened to buy tires there.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey, thanks again for asking this question, Kaneohe. I asked the Costco mechanic yesterday and he said the air hose is free for anyone with a Costco card, whether or not we actually happened to buy tires there.
When I bought Costco tires, they came with the green valve cap, which I assume means nitrogen filled. Does the Costco air hose dispense nitrogen or do they keep that in a secret location?
Old 06-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #36

Nitrogen filled, (heh), you're kidding, right.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Does the Costco air hose dispense nitrogen or do they keep that in a secret location?
They keep it right next to the Swamp Gas and Magic Mileage Elixir.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 02:06 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Does the Costco air hose dispense nitrogen or do they keep that in a secret location?
I think Costco stopped dispensing nitrogen when they became a laughingstock among all the real garage mechanics...

Well, technically I guess they still do dispense nitrogen in their air hose. 77% of the time, anyway.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

OK, I guess I'll have to dish out the 77% stuff from the compressor in my garage.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover

When I bought Costco tires, they came with the green valve cap, which I assume means nitrogen filled. Does the Costco air hose dispense nitrogen or do they keep that in a secret location?
It's automotive grade 80% nitrogen.