Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got a full set of china when I married in 1975. I've never used it. I still love the pattern, but haven't gotten around to pulling it out and using it. I should do that. And use my silver too.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #42
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Are china cabinets out of style also?
Have you ridden on an airplane lately? Or shopped at a Wal-Mart?

Anything remotely formal is apparently out of style... Sometimes it's hard to fathom how sloppy US society has become- I suspect many of these folks eat Thanksgiving Dinner off paper plates in their underwear in front of the TV, fighting over the Wii....

Grandma's good china got sold in the garage sale to pay for tattoos.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post

Those of you with open plans for the kitchen and living rooms....do you like it that way? Does kitchen noise (water running, disposal, appliances, cupboards closing) bother people in the living room? We have a kitchen TV that I use when preparing food or eating by myself and I know I'm not watching the same thing as the folks in the living room.

So far, I like the separation from the living room. I don't think I'd want an open plan.

I will answer that.. YES.. the noise bothers me... and ours is not an open plan... we have a kitchen and breakfast room... and then an opening into the 'great room' where I have my TV... while my wife is doing stuff in the kitchen... clanking pans, turning on water... etc. etc... it makes it hard to listen to the TV.... so I have to turn it up....

And as I said... it is NOT open, so the 'cook' etc. can not enjoy the company in the living room without getting into the opening...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Those of you with open plans for the kitchen and living rooms....do you like it that way? Does kitchen noise (water running, disposal, appliances, cupboards closing) bother people in the living room? We have a kitchen TV that I use when preparing food or eating by myself and I know I'm not watching the same thing as the folks in the living room.
Unless I'm in two places at once, nope, doesn't bother me...

Thankfully, my new dishwasher is much quieter than the old one. Can't say that for the washer or dryer, though. Just have to crank the tv volume. Of course, my house is still rather boxy, only less so after widening the doorway between the kitchen and DR.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:09 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not a bother, but we have an Asko dishwasher that you can be standing against and not know it is on and running since it is so quiet. My in-laws have such a noisy dishwasher that one cannot even think when standing outside the front door to the house.

The beauty of the open floor plan is that one can be in the family room and ask, "When's dinner gonna be ready?" or "Can you bring me another beer please?" without raising your voice.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I don't see why you can't put a nice china cabinet or hutch on a wall in an open or informal dining area.

I agree with LOL on the open plan, and the need for the quiet dishwasher. If you have a bunch of people, I could see the desire to keep the rooms more separate. For a smaller gathering, it's nice to be able to chat between the rooms.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:44 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

We also made darn sure we got one of the quietest dishwashers out there. On top of that, it has a 4 hour delayed wash feature.

Audrey
Old 06-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #48
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
We built our house 16 years ago with a dining room - a must for DW. We use it every Thanksgiving, and only on Thanksgiving.
Same age house, with same design and same reason.

Only difference is that we use it only for Christmas Day dinner...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #49
Gone but not forgotten

Our open plan includes a den at the end of the living room and that is where the TV is so no problem with noise except from the grandchildren .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I love open concepts myself. My only thought was it means someone will have to definitely pick up the dirty dishes after dinner from the table unless you want to stare at them all evening..not. But, you probably do that, anyway.

However, I think I will probably have to get a dining room since I have two dining sets.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:27 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

We had a formal dining room growing up but it was only used for holiday family dinners or entertaining. We ate in the kitchen nook. As a "grown up" I have a dining room (which opens onto the living room) which is used as my office/sitting room. I usually eat at the kitchen island. Funny how much things change......
Dancer373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
The choice I was thinking about was not having a dining room or not, but having a separate dining room vs. an open plan.
It has a dining room, but it is open to the kitchen and living room so that the cook can participate in the party while preparing dinner. The island hides any mess in the kitchen.
A drawback of this floorplan is that the guest bedroom opens directly onto the dining room, but we were going to use that room as a study anyway...
Our layout has the same ideas, with double pocket doors between the study and the diningroom.

The separation between our kitchen and diningroom is just a barstool counter. The parties tend to gather at the bar (or on the back lanai) and ooze flow into the diningroom.

The Navy helped us get rid of our china, one household goods move at a time, but we use the expensive fourth-generation silverware every day.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I love open concepts myself. My only thought was it means someone will have to definitely pick up the dirty dishes after dinner from the table unless you want to stare at them all evening..not. But, you probably do that, anyway.

However, I think I will probably have to get a dining room since I have two dining sets.
Don't you have a dump nearby? For a woman who wants to date, the open plan is 575% better. A bar and stools enable the conversation to flow easily and for people to be comfortable and most importantly, for you to be socializing with your date or guests.

When I was last condo hunting I saw a nice place about 1050 sq ft., $450,000. Starting from the SE corner and going north there was a kitchen, with a door! into the formal dining room and another doorway into the living room. Some middle aged bachelor lawyer lived there. It was too expensive, but nice as it was in many ways I would not have bought that floor plan for a third the price. It was last appropriate in the days of kitchen staff.

Ha
Old 06-28-2010, 08:55 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

What ever happened to dining rooms? We don't need to sit down to eat any more.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

My current home has a large formal dining area off the great room and it is visible from the kitchen. I have a large table that seats 10 max and a formal china hutch. We host several family dinners each year (mostly holidays and birthdays). We also have a couple of parties every year and utilize the space for that.

Our home is 4 years old now. The dining area was very important to us when we picked the floor plan. For once we could have the entire family at the same table. We have thoroughly enjoyed having it,
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:09 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisinthru View Post
For once we could have the entire family at the same table.
This is the reason I have a small dinng room...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:37 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Does anyone know if china cabinets are, also, out of style? I tried looking thru HGTV's website, but really did not get an answer there. Seems people need to put their "good" china somewhere other than their everyday cabinets, but who knows what is in style now? Are china cabinets out of style also?
I have a built-in corner china cabinet in my kitchen as well as a dining area. I also have a dining room with a china hutch that belonged to my grandparents. The hutch is at least 70 years old and if the house started to burn down, DH would save it before me. We use the dining room maybe twice a year....we just can't get rid of the furniture.

Our house was built circa 1984...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kitchen2.jpg (555.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg dining3.jpg (574.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

....and I do have to say those flower arrangements are silk. I think they are out of style too.

I thought about fruit, but I'm afraid they might get the fuzzies. For sure I won't get plastic fruit....
Old 06-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I have a small(36sq ft)DR but never use it for dining. I eat in my bed. I lie down with the food real close to me over my stomach. I have my lap top on my thighs just past the food. Then if I look above the lap top I can watch tv. So, i'm lying down while eating, "surfing" and watching tv. That's how I like to spend about 90% of my waking hours. Too bad work gets in the way.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #60
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I have a small(36sq ft)DR but never use it for dining. I eat in my bed. I lie down with the food real close to me over my stomach. I have my lap top on my thighs just past the food. Then if I look above the lap top I can watch tv. So, i'm lying down while eating, "surfing" and watching tv. That's how I like to spend about 90% of my waking hours. Too bad work gets in the way.
This post is useless without a photo...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote