Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-28-2010, 11:55 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
This post is useless without a photo...
I would provide a photo but don't have a digital camera. I wouldn't know how to upload a photo anyway. I'm technologically challenged.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #62
Administrator

I have no use for a formal dining room although I would love a home gym, instead.

If I knew we were going to stay in New Orleans, I'd turn my very large dining room into a real, dedicated home gym - - I'd re-do the flooring, bring in gym equipment, and on the walls I would install mirrors, a big whiteboard on which to record my progress, and a flatscreen TV. I'd replace the chandelier with something more suited to a gym. That would be perfect and I would do the same in my next house if/when we move north, if it has a dining room.

Like you, Orchidflower, I have a matched dining room set complete with a lovely and very large china cabinet, sideboard, table and six chairs. I don't use any of it. The only reason I have it is that it came with the house. The prior owner of my house died, so I got all the furniture in the house from the heirs for nearly nothing.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I have a small(36sq ft)DR but never use it for dining. I eat in my bed. I lie down with the food real close to me over my stomach. I have my lap top on my thighs just past the food. Then if I look above the lap top I can watch tv. So, i'm lying down while eating, "surfing" and watching tv. That's how I like to spend about 90% of my waking hours. Too bad work gets in the way.
I hope your joking. If not that's gross.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:22 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had never really thought about it until this thread, but we don't have a formal dining room. I just realized that after living in the current house for 6.5 years.

We have a "dining area" of roughly 80 square feet that between the kitchen and the living room (all open to each other). I guess you would call it an eat in kitchen or a "breakfast nook" if you were a realtor describing our house. Works great for our family of 4. We dine right next to the kitchen so we can cook, run to the kitchen for things we have forgotten, and eat while maintaining conversation and being in the same room. We have a small-ish table that can comfortably seat 6, plus another small table that we can bring in if we are entertaining and expand the seating to 8-9, plus 3-4 more at the kitchen counter/bar. We occasionally have large birthday parties or host other family gatherings with 30-40+ people, and then people just eat wherever. We put up some folding tables inside and out to hold the food and also for additional seating.

If we are entertaining and just have one other family of 3-4 over for lunch or dinner, then we will sit in our "eat in kitchen" area since it is cozy.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
I fear that I wasn't clear in my earlier post. The choice I was thinking about was not having a dining room or not, but having a separate dining room vs. an open plan. Here is an example: the condo we came very close to buying.
Attachment 9553
It has a dining room, but it is open to the kitchen and living room so that the cook can participate in the party while preparing dinner. The island hides any mess in the kitchen.
A drawback of this floorplan is that the guest bedroom opens directly onto the dining room, but we were going to use that room as a study anyway...

Edit
Rats, some lines were missing from floorplan. Replaced it.
I like this plan and it is actually kinda similar to our house that I (with the help of an architect friend) designed. It is one open space divided into four corners, if you will, with the kitchen at one end and the huge pine table that seats 10 on the other, next to a seating area in front of the fireplace. No way would I want walls in there--it is too small of a space. Plenty of room for entertaining but not all chopped up.

None of my pictures of the room show it without about 50 of my friends dressed up for St. Pat's. I'll spare y'all.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have a small(36sq ft)DR but never use it for dining. I eat in my bed. I lie down with the food real close to me over my stomach. I have my lap top on my thighs just past the food. Then if I look above the lap top I can watch tv. So, i'm lying down while eating, "surfing" and watching tv. That's how I like to spend about 90% of my waking hours. Too bad work gets in the way.
I don't blame you for not using your DR. I'm pretty sure my king size bed is bigger than that!
Old 06-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I don't blame you for not using your DR. I'm pretty sure my king size bed is bigger than that!
I just measured my DR and I was a little off with my estimate of 36sq ft. It's actually 54sq ft. I do have a table for 2 set up but have never used it. It was free so no big loss. I would rather not have that 54sq ft. It's just more area I need to heat in the winter so it costs me money and doesn't add anything useful.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:28 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just measured my DR and I was a little off with my estimate of 36sq ft. It's actually 54sq ft. I do have a table for 2 set up but have never used it. It was free so no big loss. I would rather not have that 54sq ft. It's just more area I need to heat in the winter so it costs me money and doesn't add anything useful.
Could you fill it up with heat retaining rubble?
Old 06-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Could you fill it up with heat retaining rubble?
That definitly would not be for me. I don't like clutter. I probably have less than half the possessions of anyone else on this forum and probably less than 10% of what some people here have. Other than my queen size bed I could easily fit everything into the back of a pickup truck.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is all pretty funny - I love the variety!

Our house was built in the early '60s and the rooms are large. In the front is a room - ~34' x 14' - and one end is the official DR (the realtor told me: there's a chandelier, therefore it is the DR. It is by far the ugliest chandelier I have ever seen but... $$$ to replace it. But I digress...). I found it weird - one long room - but now I like it. When I have a huge crowd I turn the table the long way and can seat 12 easily.

We tend to eat breakfast & lunch on the kitchen table, dinner in front of the TV in the (huge) den watching a movie if it's just the two of us. But we eat Sunday breakfast in the DR where we can spread out the newspaper in a leisurely fashion.

If I have friends over for dinner we always use the DR - the kitchen table is usually cluttered and has a little TV at one end. The DR table has leaves that pull out at the ends so it seats 6 - 12 easily, depending.

I like having a real DR - but then, I like to cook and entertain. Our dishwasher is very quiet - at Thanksgiving I load it up with the first bunch of dishes and no one ever hears it while we eat more in the next room.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #71

We have a dining room in our 1925 home, but being just two of us, we usually eat in the kitchen. The dining room does see a fair bit of use since we eat there when we have guests.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #72

I wonder if anyone here still likes going over to someone's house (not family) and having a sit-down dinner at a dining table in a dining room other than me? Pretty traditional I agree, but if you have good conversationalists there it can be a blast...or I hope so. I've always enjoyed attending these dinners even if the food is mediocre.
I'd hate to see this social activity die with the times myself.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I wonder if anyone here still likes going over to someone's house (not family) and having a sit-down dinner at a dining table in a dining room other than me? Pretty traditional I agree, but if you have good conversationalists there it can be a blast...or I hope so. I've always enjoyed attending these dinners even if the food is mediocre.
I do.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #74
Administrator

Me too.

Since we always use our dining room ourselves, when we have guests we always serve in the dining room. It is true, however, that most people tend to congregate in our kitchen before dinner (it is a 500 sqft kitchen, with an island that is 4 ft by 9 ft and perfect for gathering around)
Old 06-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Sure, and it's just as good in an informal dining area.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:36 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
+1 for me. I much prefer this format versus meeting friends at a loud bar. The dinner format isn't really relevant - it's the conversation and social interaction that is important.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:47 AM   #77

I can't think of a better way to spend an evening than to have friends over for dinner and talk, and I'd be willing to bet that Orchidflower is a master at it. I just like the open plan better, and think that a beautifully set table is just as delightful whether separated from the kitchen by a door or just an island.

Hey, no worries! There are plenty of houses (and buyers) for both approaches.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:19 AM   #78

Just noticed that many of the positive responses about dinner and conversation were from men...that is so cool!
Old 07-12-2010, 05:37 AM   #79

I live in a spec house built in 2004. I have a great room which comprises a dining area (large table with seating for 8) and a living room(large sectional, never sit here unless I have company). I also have an eat in kitchen with room for a table and 4 chairs (could fit six chairs if I did not have an antique corner cupboard sharing the space). A den is incorporated into the kitchen design and this is where I have a couch, TV, gas fireplace and a coffee table...I am a bit embarrassed to admit that the coffee table is where I eat most of my meals. The most practical thing for my lifestyle would be a breakfast bar in the kitchen with a couple of bistro chairs.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:19 AM   #80

My dining room just got 3 coats of paint (moroccan spice)

I'm getting used to it. I think I like it. You could splash spaghetti sauce on it and not notice... thats a good thing.