Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-12-2010, 08:25 AM   #81
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I wonder if anyone here still likes going over to someone's house (not family) and having a sit-down dinner at a dining table in a dining room other than me? Pretty traditional I agree, but if you have good conversationalists there it can be a blast...or I hope so. I've always enjoyed attending these dinners even if the food is mediocre.
I'd hate to see this social activity die with the times myself.
I like that, too. It doesn't have to be a dining ROOM but even some dedicated dining area. Is fun.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Just noticed that many of the positive responses about dinner and conversation were from men...that is so cool!
We just had dinner and played board games at an old high school friend's new house this past Saturday. Hadn't seen her in 12 years since HS! They just built the house, and it is a fairly large house for the area (double the median housing value). I'm not sure what other rooms she has in the house, but she had a dinner table adjacent to the kitchen.

We spent the evening sitting at her dinner table having dinner*, drinking wine, and playing games. But the best entertainment was the conversations we had, catching up on 12 years of life, and each of us getting to know the other one's spouse. We didn't leave till almost 3:00 in the morning.

* pizza was served. The people make the event, not fancy meals.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM View Post
My dining room just got 3 coats of paint (moroccan spice)

I'm getting used to it. I think I like it. You could splash spaghetti sauce on it and not notice... thats a good thing.

Decorati | Moroccan Spice by Benjamin Moore

Nice color really. Warm and that will make folks more stimulated to eat, which is why restaurants use red or orange for decor often (FYI in case you didn't know that). When you sell restaurants you have alot of time waiting for the owners to come give you a check, so I picked up their reading material and learned this trivia.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:41 PM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM View Post
My dining room just got 3 coats of paint (moroccan spice)

I'm getting used to it. I think I like it. You could splash spaghetti sauce on it and not notice... thats a good thing.
I chose my new floor tile based on the color - coffee with cream...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our new house has a dining room -- but it also has an enormous eat-in kitchen area. We'll be buying a large table (around 10' long) as our kitchen table. We also have an island with stools for additional seating..

Going from the kitchen through the butler's panty leads one into the nominal dining room. But that is going to become our home theater room...
Old 07-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just found this thread, here is my $.02

It depends on when the house was built, and what the family which built the house "wanted" at the time.

I bought a 3400 sq ft home in 2005.
It has 2.5 bath, 4 BR, an office, dining room, living room, great room and a bonus room upstairs over garage.

When we looked, most other floor plans offered some of the above, but not all the above. For example we could get an office, but not bonus room, or a dining room or an office.

The common trend is to build big kitchens with a morning room attached. We did not do this... so the dining room is important if we have company (our kitchen might fit a 4x6 table, maybe 4x8). We do entertain some (thanksgiving, birthday parties, out of town family, a couple summer parties) where having the dining room get used helps, but 350 days a year its just space I pay property taxes on.

So if kitchen can hold a big table, why also have space set aside for a dining room? In most ranches I see, the dining room is still there, but its smaller than my current kitchen... and if someone needs an office in an older house, the dining room is probably among first rooms to get compromised.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Going ....... through the butler's panty ....
Old 07-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #88
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
Goingthrough the butler's panty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Wonder if the maid knew he was wearing hers?