What happened to my baking soda?

Payin-the-Toll

Recycles dryer sheets
Started keeping a glass of baking soda (Arm & Hammer) next to the toothpaste in the bathroom about 20 years ago (must have been ahead of my time, since I see a lot of toothpastes for sale have baking soda), and mix the 2 when brushing. The baking soda was always the consistency of flour, kind of powdery. Last box I bought was more the consistency of salt--what happened?--did they change the recipe or what?

There isn't a recipe. Baking Soda is sodium bicarbonate, pure and simple. I suspect your most recent box might have gotten exposed to moisture or too much heat or something. At a couple of bucks/box, if it bothers you I'd stick it in the fridge to absorb odors and buy a new box for the toothbrush.

Here is a an article discussing Arm & Hammer Baking Soda that I thought was interesting:
Arm & Hammer Baking Soda :: Branding Brand Baking Soda
Updating the packaging with "flow-through" boxes which allowed for a distinction between the baking soda used for cooking and the baking soda used to fight odor also increased the number of boxes found in homes ("Thinking Outside the Box", 2003). Who wants to use the same stuff in cookies that is used to fight a mildew smell in the fridge? This renewed interest in and increased awareness of the benefits of baking soda created a marketplace for new Arm & Hammer products containing the original formula of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda including gum, carpet, deodorizer, cleaning supplies, toothpaste, and even laundry detergent.
Packaging concepts continue to grow with the introduction of the Zip-Pak's Powder Proof reclosable zipper ("Baking Soda Gets Out of the Box", 2004). The new Zip-Pak will possibly reduce waste created by the poorly designed traditional cardboard box we all know so well. The familiar box was prone to water damage and moisture problems causing the box to disintegrate and fall apart or the baking soda to clump together. The new packaging is an attempt at increased storage life and more hygienic storage options, allowing the consumer to store the product in its original packaging instead of transferring it to a separate airtight container.
Church & Dwight Co. also recently introduced the plastic shaker bottle for Arm & Hammer Baking Soda. The granules in the shaker are slightly larger than the traditional granules in the cardboard box for increased scouring power and friction yet still providing scratchless cleaning power. The plastic container allows the shaker to sit beside the sink for easy access when needed without the cardboard box becoming water damaged and falling apart ("Thinking Outside the Box", 2003). The shaker is clearly labeled "not intended for antacid use" to discourage consumption. Though still harmless and consumable this version of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda is intended for cleaning and scouring.
I suspect that somewhere along the way they increased the size of the granules for the sake of efficiency so that the same sized granules could be used for both cooking and the other uses mentioned in the article.:) [emphasis is mine]

We buy the large bag of baking soda at the box store, break it down into smaller containers, and use it for everything (cleaning/deodorizing/baking). Naturally, the deodorizer soda is in a different [open] container than the soda used for baking ;^> So far, one bag has lasted for 6 years.

I even poured baking soda into impossibly stinky sneakers which the wearer wanted to throw away, let the shoes sit for a couple of weeks, then washed them. Voila - like new, odor gone.

Not into baking soda for teeth...have exposed roots which need fluoride toothpaste and fluoride rinses.

A.

Started keeping a glass of baking soda (Arm & Hammer) next to the toothpaste in the bathroom about 20 years ago (must have been ahead of my time, since I see a lot of toothpastes for sale have baking soda)

Back in 1978, I had a Dentist that recommended I brush with a baking soda, salt, and peroxide mixture for gum health, so you are not the only one ahead of your time:cool: My tooth paste now does essentially the same thing, but tastes better:D.

My dad - born in 1907 and a young adult during the Great Depression, said he was almost 40 before he used anything other than baking soda 'toothpowder'...

Baking soda is one of those things like aspirin! We use it to keep our drains clear. The drain from the kitchen to the outside runs the length of the whole house and uphill to boot! Needless to say, it clogged often and was a royal pain for years! Then we came across a recommendation (in an A&H 100 uses for baking soda pamphlet) that says to mix 1 part baking soda to 1 part salt. Dump enough down the drain to form a small "heap" in the sink, let it sit overnight, flush it through with hot water in the morning. Works like a charm! And now we're saving a fortune on drano!:dance:

Back
Top Bottom