Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-16-2011, 02:43 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This one is on amazon but w/ only 1 review...but perhaps there are other options on amazon too...Amazon.com: CLAIROL Professional Beautiful Collection Gentle Semi- Permanent Color No. B12D Medium Ash Brown Level 3-Base Violet-Neutral 3oz/88ml: Beauty

I tried henna once, it was very messy and smells - natural - like putting wet cut grass on your head that is dipped in ink? Not too bad but not pleasing either.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2011, 05:13 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofrugalformycat View Post
You read too much Jane Austen, or maybe Sherlock Holmes, as a child. So did I.
Grasping for the Wind: Etymology of "Gray"
"The distinction between British grey and U.S. gray developed 20c."
This must be it. I started in 3rd grade with Dickens' Tale of Two Cities and never stopped. Later I also read 18th century authors.

Ha

Old 01-16-2011, 07:56 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Brighteyes - I never heard of this product before, and it didn't come up during my own Amazon search. I think I will call Clairol about this product to be sure it does not contain ppd (p-phenylenediamine, a known skin irritant that appears in many 'non-peroxide, non-ammonia' hair color products).

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
This one is on amazon but w/ only 1 review...but perhaps there are other options on amazon too...Amazon.com: CLAIROL Professional Beautiful Collection Gentle Semi- Permanent Color No. B12D Medium Ash Brown Level 3-Base Violet-Neutral 3oz/88ml: Beauty

I tried henna once, it was very messy and smells - natural - like putting wet cut grass on your head that is dipped in ink? Not too bad but not pleasing either.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

You might consider not coloring your hair; you just have to get used to looking at yourself with gray hair. I stopped coloring when I retired at age 59. (I colored my hair from age 16 to 59!). My hair loks very healthy, soft, and shiny.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

true; I was letting my frustration spill over. From another perspective, many people in this world would say I'm lucky to have lived long enough to get gray/grey hair.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post

It's not that we don't care about the topic, we just have the good sense not to give advise about things we know nothing about. .
Old 01-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
true; I was letting my frustration spill over. From another perspective, many people in this world would say I'm lucky to have lived long enough to get gray/grey hair.

Amethyst
And some of us just want to have more hair, any color would do! Thanks for posting, though, I'm considering taking the plunge on coloring my hair but haven't got up the nerve and don't want to use anything too poisonous.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:47 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I would love to not color my hair, and I like healthy, shiny silver hair on other women (mine isn't silver yet, just brown with gray). Thing is, I have a pale, roundish face. My features need a darker frame, or else they will blend in with my hair, and I fear I will look like Mrs. Potato Head! OK, now I'm sure someone will suggest that I could wear a hat, a turban, or a scarf....

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glo View Post
You might consider not coloring your hair; you just have to get used to looking at yourself with gray hair. I stopped coloring when I retired at age 59. (I colored my hair from age 16 to 59!). My hair loks very healthy, soft, and shiny.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

whooops - I see I'm a day late on this thread, it is a window I had open in the background since then. Oh well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
(pardon a momentary hijack please) Your post caught my eye because you wrote "grey", which is how I spell it unless I am thinking and trying to use "gray." I grew up using "grey", but when I use the google link in one of the earlier posts everything comes up "gray".

Does anyone know if this a regional difference, or generational, or what?

Ha
I have a mental block to spelling the color gray/grey. I thought it was just me (I can't do possessives either). So I googled and..

wiki:

Quote:
grey gray Grey became the established British spelling in the 20th century, pace Dr. Johnson and others,[133] and it is but a minor variant in American English, according to dictionaries. Canadians tend to prefer grey. The non-cognate greyhound was never grayhound. Both Grey and Gray are found in proper names everywhere in the English-speaking world. The two spellings are of equal antiquity, and the Oxford English Dictionary states that "each of the current spellings has some analogical support".[134]
And from the website (believe it or not!): greyorgray.com

How do you spell the color Grey or Gray? Which is correct, "grey" or "gray" spelling?

Quote:
grAy is how it's spelled in America
grEy is how it's spelled in England
So now maybe I'll remember.

ERD50 (with more than a touch of grAy)
Old 01-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Humm, that seems to confirm that the Pacific NW has a strong Anglo Saxon heritage, at least linguistically. That is my defense and I am sticking too it.

Tags
gray hair, hair color, hair dye, peroxide