Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What happened to no-peroxide home hair color??
Old 01-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What happened to no-peroxide home hair color??

If you don't color your hair, or if you use permanent hair color, this likely won't interest you, but...

I just lost my only known source of non-peroxide home hair color. Clairol sneakily added peroxide to their Natural Instincts non-permanent formula. I suppose other customers got tired of having to re-color every three weeks, but for me, it was worth it, to cover my gray hair so it is the same color as my non-gray hair, without damaging my considerable amount of natural brown hair. My hair is still shiny and bouncy, and the non-peroxide color I was using made it even softer.

Does anyone know of a hair color product that doesn't contain peroxide? Many products say they don't contain ammonia (which makes hair dye smell gross) but "peroxide" is in the ingredients list of every package I've examined.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
If you don't color your hair, or if you use permanent hair color, this likely won't interest you, but...

I just lost my only known source of non-peroxide home hair color. Clairol sneakily added peroxide to their Natural Instincts non-permanent formula. I suppose other customers got tired of having to re-color every three weeks, but for me, it was worth it, to cover my gray hair so it is the same color as my non-gray hair, without damaging my considerable amount of natural brown hair. My hair is still shiny and bouncy, and the non-peroxide color I was using made it even softer.

Does anyone know of a hair color product that doesn't contain peroxide? Many products say they don't contain ammonia (which makes hair dye smell gross) but "peroxide" is in the ingredients list of every package I've examined.

Amethyst
Sorry, I can΄t help you there!
Old 01-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Google brought me here: Hair Color With No Peroxide - Hair Care - Compare Prices, Reviews and Buy at NexTag - Price - Review
Old 01-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
gone traveling

http://www.ronco.com/rco_prodinfo.as...2&active=ascry

As it says, it solves "gray appearing between colorings"...

What a deal ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Have you checked beauty supply stores they might have something ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Yep, found that - they only have a few shades, and none of them are mine.

Ever noticed when a mother stands next to her teenage or 20's daughter, and they have the same hair color, but the daughter's hair shines and the mother's hair looks dry and dull? That's not age. It is what hair color chemicals do.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:43 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Did I miss something? This is spray-on bald-spot coverup, not hair color. Probably belongs in a thread of its own

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
http://www.ronco.com/rco_prodinfo.as...2&active=ascry

As it says, it solves "gray appearing between colorings"...

What a deal ...
Old 01-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I needed to get an Oregon drivers licence last month. I put down 'blonde with silver', the dmv clerk changed it to 'grey'. Waaaaa.....
Old 01-15-2011, 07:11 AM   #9
gone traveling

Quote:
Did I miss something? This is spray-on bald-spot coverup, not hair color. Probably belongs in a thread of its own
Hey, you did ask for a hair product that was "no-peroxide home hair color" .

This product does better. It colors existing hair and fills in those nasty bald spots (women or men). Of course, you could do the same thing with a can of shoe polish (and buff your dome to a shiny, shiny top that can be seen from an airplane )....
Old 01-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I needed to get an Oregon drivers licence last month. I put down 'blonde with silver', the dmv clerk changed it to 'grey'. Waaaaa.....
(pardon a momentary hijack please) Your post caught my eye because you wrote "grey", which is how I spell it unless I am thinking and trying to use "gray." I grew up using "grey", but when I use the google link in one of the earlier posts everything comes up "gray".

Does anyone know if this a regional difference, or generational, or what?

Ha
Old 01-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Ha, hijack all you want. You were long since beaten to it by the bald-headed shoe polish contingent I believe the sum total of all responses is a resounding, "Nobody (except the OP) gives a darn about this topic."

A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
(pardon a momentary hijack please) Your post caught my eye because you wrote "grey", which is how I spell it unless I am thinking and trying to use "gray." I grew up using "grey", but when I use the google link in one of the earlier posts everything comes up "gray".

Ha
Old 01-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Gray is evidently preferred. When I pronounce Zane Grey and gray there is no difference so it may be regional dialect. No wonder I am spelling impaired.

It's not that we don't care about the topic, we just have the good sense not to give advise about things we know nothing about. My beautician specializes in coloring hair but all I want is a cut.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:

Ha
Since I live about 10 miles from the original Crayola plant (the original company name being Binney & Smith, and Crayola a product name), I'll use their "color chart" which shows the spelling (blue) gray ...

Actually, some ladies use both colors (e.g both Blue and Gray) as they age; maybe it has something to do with the Civil War? ...

Talk about driving this train off the rails...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gray.jpg (147.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Years ago I noticed old women with a blue tint in their white hair. I wonder if that was the result of some hair coloring product.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ha, hijack all you want. You were long since beaten to it by the bald-headed shoe polish contingent I believe the sum total of all responses is a resounding, "Nobody (except the OP) gives a darn about this topic."

A.
Actually, I do care. I like soft hair on a woman, and it is disconcerting when it feels like one of those things you use to scrubb pots and pans.

How about henna? Only works if red will work for you, but it is a much more attractive red then what comes out of most home hair coloring kits.

Henna for Hair - The Science of Henna and Hair
Old 01-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the suggestion. I may try henna if I can't find a satisfactory substitute for the original "Natural Instincts." It might look good, since my mother had chestnut hair, my sister's hair used to be red, and I have fair skin, and brown eyes with a greenish cast. Henna is supposed to be a messy PITA to apply, though.

As for the notorious blue hair, I believe that results from overuse of a product that is meant to correct the natural "yellowing" that happens to white hair. I always wondered why such ladies didn't go blonde. Perhaps there simply comes a point where the scalp is too sensitive to accept hair coloring.

Amethyst

Quote:

How about henna? Only works if red will work for you, but it is a much more attractive red then what comes out of most home hair coloring kits.

Henna for Hair - The Science of Henna and Hair
Old 01-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

For those who are interested, Haha's link yielded a really encouraging picture of henna-dyed hair! Ha, you are the best!

Mehandi.com shop - Henna for Gray hair

Amethyst
Old 01-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Years ago I noticed old women with a blue tint in their white hair. I wonder if that was the result of some hair coloring product.
"Now the goose is on the table
And the pudding made of fig.
And a blue and silver candle,
That would just have matched the hair in Grandma's wig."

Old 01-15-2011, 11:02 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Ha
You read too much Jane Austen, or maybe Sherlock Holmes, as a child. So did I.
Grasping for the Wind: Etymology of "Gray"
"The distinction between British grey and U.S. gray developed 20c."
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:26 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Ah, that is the reason. Zane Grey, Jane Austen, Sherlock Holmes, Anne Frank ....

Tags
gray hair, hair color, hair dye, peroxide