Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-12-2014, 01:21 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
If I recall the Air France crash correctly, several things happened in succession to cause the fatal outcome. First, they attempted to avoid a storm in their path only to run into a rare phenomenon called liquid ice that clogged their airspeed indicator. This sent incorrect information to the pilots who adjusted speed (based on faulty information) causing a stall that sent the plane into a spin. The pilots were unable to control the spin and crashed into the Ocean at full speed.
Pretty accurate description except the aircraft was kept in a stalled state, not spinning, due to the First Officer keeping the stick (no yoke on an Airbus) full aft. Simply releasing the stick would have recovered the aircraft.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting piece in the WSJ today. Behind the paywall, but some snippets:

Quote:
In the past 65 years, 80 planes have taken off and vanished, according to the Aviation Safety Network.
Quote:
Eleven years ago, a shiny silver Boeing 727 airliner took off from Luanda, Angola, and became one of the few commercial jetliners to vanish and never be found.
Quote:
Massive jet airplanes disappear more often in fiction than in real life, but it does happen. In 1979, a Boeing 707 with six people aboard was lost in the Pacific Ocean after leaving Tokyo. And dozens of smaller planes have gone missing and never been located.
Quote:
The so-far fruitless search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370, which disappeared early Saturday with 239 people aboard, is unprecedented because of the plane's size and because the widebody Boeing 777 had been in radio and satellite contact with multiple locations on the ground. It was also flying when it lost contact over the sea in one of the world's most densely populated regions, Southeast Asia, not over remote jungle or open ocean.
Quote:
The Aviation Safety Network, a database tracking accidents, lists 80 planes as "missing" since 1948. No trace of the planes or their occupants was ever found, according to ASN President Harro Ranter.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:49 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
But, I heard on the news that the body of water between Malaysia and Indonesia is a very busy shipping channel so if it DID go down there, you would think wreckage would have been spotted by now...
I've sailed through that area twice on cruises (the Malacca Straits) and I can confirm that you are never out of sight of other vessels. It's actually astounding at night because it is almost like you are on a highway across the plains and can see the lights from the other vehicles in the distance. There are everything from little fishing vessels to coasters to container ships to LNG vessels.

If that plane had of come down in that body of water I find it hard to believe no one saw anything.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New information just adds to the mystery.

Missing Malaysia jet may have flown on for hours - The Wall Street Journal - MarketWatch
Old 03-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This is SIL's theory from the beginning, that the jet was commandeered and flown to a secret location to be used later.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Last report I saw said the pilots did have the ability to turn off the plane's transponders, which apparently is what they did.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #27

Quote:

Both Malaysians and Rolls Royce (engine maker) deny that the engine was sending any data "for hours." It's just another misinformation which there have been tons of.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Both Malaysians and Rolls Royce (engine maker) deny that the engine was sending any data "for hours." It's just another misinformation which there have been tons of.
It get weirder and wierder:

"Boeing officials decline to comment on the Malaysian remarks or, earlier, on the suspicious raised by the U.S. investigators. Rolls-Royce couldn't be reached for comment on the news conference and had earlier decline to comment on the report."

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...36843318184308

This will not go over well with the passengers families:

"Malaysian Airline System Bhd. (MAS) opted out of a Boeing Co. (BA) service to collect real-time performance data from jets like Flight 370 for use in planning maintenance, according to a person familiar with the matter."

Malaysian Air Said to Opt Out of Boeing Jet-Data Service - Bloomberg
Old 03-13-2014, 12:57 PM   #29

Me thinks there is much denial by various countries about what they know. Main reason would be if the flight indeed changed course and traveled into somebodys airspace and not detected or challenged, their defense ministers and some others are into good bit of expalining to do.

Other reasons, none of the coutries are willing to disclose the real range of their defense radars. Good bad or mediocre, or their ability to identify the flying objects. In addition, as I noted earlier the airplane routinely transmits information, even if not the engine monitoring data. The collision avoidance sytem TCAS constantly transmits and receives. Other aircraft interact with the information. There is also Navtex that usually runs when way out over water.

Yep, those who have real information are not talking, everyone else is making up stories.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:11 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Me thinks there is much denial by various countries about what they know. Main reason would be if the flight indeed changed course and traveled into somebodys airspace and not detected or challenged, their defense ministers and some others are into good bit of expalining to do.

Other reasons, none of the coutries are willing to disclose the real range of their defense radars. Good bad or mediocre, or their ability to identify the flying objects. In addition, as I noted earlier the airplane routinely transmits information, even if not the engine monitoring data. The collision avoidance sytem TCAS constantly transmits and receives. Other aircraft interact with the information. There is also Navtex that usually runs when way out over water.

Yep, those who have real information are not talking, everyone else is making up stories.
Don't forget the Asian penchant for "saving face" Better to keep quiet than be seen to have failed with your technology or with your air defenses.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Don't forget the Asian penchant for "saving face" Better to keep quiet than be seen to have failed with your technology or with your air defenses.
Yep, that one likely trumps all others.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:35 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Heard this theory espoused on talk radio today...
Old 03-13-2014, 06:28 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe an in flight incident that rendered the pilots and passengers immobile ( loss of a window or door)...Much like the Payne Stewart crash where he took off from Orlando and crashed in South Dakota......fighter plane scrambled and could see Payne and his passengers were immobile in the plane....as it flew itself out of fuel and crashed.....

But that still does not explain the transponder being turned off....

IF the plane flew til it ran out of fuel, and crashed on land, maybe there would be no fire.....

or, if the pilots DID have a problem and were able to somehow land on the water in one piece ( a la the Miracle on the Hudson)....well.....the plane would not float forever...and if it sank in one piece there would be no debris field of floating bodies etc.....

What a mystery.....at least it takes the attention off the other world news for the moment....which could be a good or a bad thing.....
Old 03-13-2014, 06:42 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post

What a mystery.....at least it takes the attention off the other world news for the moment....which could be a good or a bad thing.....
That bit is taken care of by the pi$$ing contest of CIA v Oversight Committe.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #35

The plane flew for 4 - 5 hours after transponder was turned off, per US investigator. If that's true, it looks like a deliberate act and not a sudden disaster. Hmmm.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:41 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Since there's conflicting evidence, some things have to be wrong. I know that eyewitness accounts are notoriously unreliable, but I find this email from the New Zealand oil rig worker to be pretty credible, perhaps because it's exactly the way I would write it.

OilRigEmail.jpg

So, here are my two theories:

1. The plane has some explosion or fire that disables a lot of electronics. The fire goes out (as per the above email), and the plane makes a Sullenberger landing in the water. The plane, still in one piece, then sinks without a trace. Any subsequent pings and radar are just due to overzealous analysts.

2. The plane has some explosion or fire that disables a lot of electronics. The fire goes out (as per the above email), and the pilot tries to turn back, but eventually makes a Sullenberger landing in the water. The plane, still in one piece, then sinks without a trace.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:04 AM   #37

New information suggests the plane flew on a well know route to the middle east. I suspect, unless the passengers revolted, that the plane is on the ground being painted and readied for its next flight.

Missing plane may have been diverted: Reuters - MarketWatch

http://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-rada...8--sector.html
Old 03-14-2014, 11:17 AM   #38
Administrator

Quote:
New information suggests the plane flew on a well know route to the middle east. I suspect, unless the passengers revolted, that the plane is on the ground being painted and readied for its next flight.

Missing plane may have been diverted: Reuters - MarketWatch

Exclusive: Radar data suggests missing Malaysia plane deliberately flown way off course - sources
I was wondering if that could be the case, with things heating up in the Middle East as they have been. One thing is for sure; I feel so sorry for the passengers and their relatives. I just don't see how any good outcome could exist by now.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

In this case some of the comments on the missing jet articles are interesting and not just troll posts. One comment is that the U.S. government knows exactly where the airliner is because of all the spy satellites but they can't say because it would reveal too much of how they track what goes on in the world.

I tend to believe that theory. My best guess would be the jet is being repurposed.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

The distinct lack of "captured by aliens and beamed up to the mother ship" theories has me convinced that's what happened.