Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
This also sounds the most plausible to me...electrical fire and pilot diversion to the nearest suitable airfield. The terrorist/pilot intrigue theories don't seem to have any supporting links based on all the investigations so far.
I don't see the terrorist theory as why would the terrorists want to make the event anonymous instead of go for a big scene.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #122
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Courtney Love thinks she knows where it's at.
MRG

http://music.yahoo.com/news/courtney...ing-stone.html
I saw that article. My first reaction was to laugh, but after thinking about it I decided that Courtney Love's opinion is neither better nor worse than anybody contributing to this thread. We can make speculative guesses that turn out to be wrong and nobody notices, but she bears the burden of her fame, so everybody hears about her mistakes and makes fun.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Gee I just wrote a quick rebuttal was denied posting rights.

Take two.

The startlingly simple solution has a few problems.

1. The timeline for transponders going offline has been revised back to post last voice comm.

2. Going to 45000 has benefits to hija*kers etc. At that altitude a depressurization via whatever method instantly renders any cabin crew or passanger meddling impossible.

3. Setting course to a large unobstructed commercial airport give the apperance of emergency response by the aircrew.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:44 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Gee I just wrote a quick rebuttal was denied posting rights.

Take two.

The startlingly simple solution has a few problems.

1. The timeline for transponders going offline has been revised back to post last voice comm.

2. Going to 45000 has benefits to hija*kers etc. At that altitude a depressurization via whatever method instantly renders any cabin crew or passanger meddling impossible.

3. Setting course to alarge unobstructed commercial airport give the apperance of emergency response by the aircrew.
IMHO the only thing this startlingly simple solution has going for it is the improbability of the alternatives. It requires a fire so catastrophic as to disable all communication equipment and probably render the passengers and crew unconscious or dead, yet so harmless that it allowed the plane to continue flying on autopilot for another seven hours or so. What kind of fire selectively damages only communication equipment but not the plane's flying capability? It makes no sense to me, but I acknowledge the attractiveness of the proposal in view of the difficulty in believing the alternatives.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #125
Administrator

"There is always a well-known solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong."
H. L. Mencken, Prejudices: Second Series, 1920
Old 03-19-2014, 01:43 AM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

MH370 disappearance: Chris Goodfellow's theory about a fire and Langkawi is wrong.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
MRG

I'm going to wait and see what Madonna says.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:09 PM   #128

There must be some clearvoyants left who James Randi has not humiliated debunked yet. A fine opportunity to prove the sceptics wrong.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:19 AM   #129

Australians are reporting they found satellite images of "reasonable" objects in their search area. They caution the objects may not be related to the plane.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:58 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

One think I feel confident in predicting is that one year from now at least of the "facts" (e.g. Satellite pings, pre programmed turn, crew or passengers background, last report radar postion etc.) that we know now will turn out to be completely inaccurate.

I don't have a clue as to which fact will be wrong. Which means I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the fire scenarios as not conforming to the facts, cause I don't believe we know them.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:00 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
One think I feel confident in predicting is that one year from now at least of the "facts" (e.g. Satellite pings, pre programmed turn, crew or passengers background, last report radar postion etc.) that we know now will turn out to be completely inaccurate.

I don't have a clue as to which fact will be wrong. Which means I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the fire scenarios as not conforming to the facts, cause I don't believe we know them.
+1. I still think the biggest mystery is why the passengers let this flight continue for more than 7 hrs without trying to take control. Or, maybe in the end they did.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:50 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
MRG

I'm reminded of a joke with the punch line "Flashlight? Help me find my car keys, and we'll drive out...".

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #133

Assuming there was no apparent disruption in the cockpit, I doubt many of the passengers at o dark thirty in the morning would notice a turn, especially if the pilot said they would be making some turns to avoid weather. At night, I doubt if there was a passenger on board that could have figured out which way the plane was headed. That coupled with an announcement that 'we are encountering extreamly high head winds and our arrival will be approximately XX:XX for those with connecting reservations there will be a gate attendant to assist you.' A little grumbling, mostly 'what did he say' and then back to sleep or the movie. I doubt even the cabin crew would react.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:32 AM   #134

Not so sure. Out of 200+ people there will no doubt be one who tracks the plane speed and location via cell phone gps. My cell phone gps still works in airplane mode and I have tracked the plane speed and location on many flights...just have to hold the phone near the window.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:49 AM   #135

My first reaction would be. 'Well this certainly isn't working!', but you have a point. There might have been an insomniac on board that would stay up and try to watch their cell. Anything is possible.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #136

A lot of these flights also have personal displays where you can track the flight. It might be that these suddenly stopped working, and most likely did, but I think that would lead to more questions or trying to get this info in another way.

I wonder if the compass app would work?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:30 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
+1. I still think the biggest mystery is why the passengers let this flight continue for more than 7 hrs without trying to take control. Or, maybe in the end they did.
How would the passengers try to take control?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #138

I highly doubt if cell phones were working while whatever were going on. Otherwise, we'd known about them. Either there were no cell towers nearby or whatever happened in the plane disabled cell phone activities.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:11 PM   #139
Moderator Emeritus

When I was flying back from Frankfurt a few weeks ago on a 777 like this, I had a screen in the seat back in front of me that I set to track the plane. I wonder if this feature was on this aircraft? if it was, I would bet at least a few passengers would be doing what I was and watching the flight progress.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #140
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm going to wait and see what Madonna says.
Keep your eyes on Lady GaGa as she may be making a video about it and her new outfit...