Join Early Retirement Today

What happened to (where is) the missing Malaysian Airline?
Old 03-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What happened to (where is) the missing Malaysian Airline?

It's hard for me to believe, with all the modern tech, we can't locate the missing plane for days. There's all kind of rumors but I am hoping it crash landed somewhere safe.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Me too. I don't often follow evolving news stories, but this one has me riveted. It seems that despite all the technology/information available in this Age, mysterious things - sometime horrific - still happen. I had thought for sure that this was terrorism, but the more recent reports are throwing doubt on that hypothesis. What happened to this plane!? It seems eerily like a setup for the popular tv series "Lost."
TimSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #3

It took months to find the Air France plane that went down in the Atlantic a few years ago. Oceans are really big!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
It took months to find the Air France plane that went down in the Atlantic a few years ago. Oceans are really big!
Actually, it took 2 years to find and recover the black box.

As Air France crash showed, recovery can be long, daunting
Old 03-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Check CNN... they're full time on the turn around, the five hour fuel supply, and the circle of 1000 + mile radius of the last radar contact near Pulau Perak.
My calcualtions 785,000 square mile area to search.

Curious to note that the starting point, the turn around point, and the last radar contact form a triangle.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #6

This report says they turned off their transponder then flew West. Possible hijack attempt?

Yahoo!
Old 03-11-2014, 01:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Curious to note that the starting point, the turn around point, and the last radar contact form a triangle.
So that's why we don't hear about the Bermuda Triangle much anymore. It migrated to the other side of the planet.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #8

Rumors and new stories are coming in fast and furious. Most rumors are turning out to be just that, rumors. The latest one of interest is an official report from Taiwan that they warned China of possible terrorist attack.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #9

It blatantly obvious that
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There are a cople of system on commercial airliners which squawk information all the time. ACARS and TCAS. I notice that no info is being disseminated. As usual the insider's know a lot more than is published.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:54 PM   #11

It must be in the Twilight Zone.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
It must be in the Twilight Zone.
Or maybe on an Island with a big guy who just won the lottery with a number combination of: 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42 .
Old 03-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just saw 'Nonstop' yesterday, maybe they dropped to 8000'.

Joking aside a terrible situation. My Sister was terribly impacted by TWA 800. She knew many of the 16 children in that French club. Told me she could only make it to 5 services, she wanted to pay respects to at least 2 more families, but just couldn't do it.
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:45 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

OK how about this....

They experienced a violent mechanical event that caused loss of hydraulic and some electrical components, including the radios, and maybe even fuel leakage...making control of the aircraft difficult if not impossible....or, allowing only for difficultly executed turns...

Managed to turn the flight around but could not effect any more turns or mainatain altitude control..plane continued the westerly trajectory, dropping slowly in altitude, losing more electrical systems and fuel, the transponders failed, until it ultimately crashed in the water or perhaps on land in Indonesia.....

These are elements of several crashes ( United out west that lost hydraulics and they managed to land it but many were killed; jets that ran out of fuel, fire or smoke damage to components like the Mother's Day crash in Florida, the Korean 747 that lost it's tail and remained airborne for such a relative long time afterwards.... etc...)

But, I heard on the news that the body of water between Malaysia and Indonesia is a very busy shipping channel so if it DID go down there, you would think wreckage would have been spotted by now...

My amateur theory-please be kind in your comments... I watch a LOT of Air Disaster shows and it's amazing what they reconstruct of these catastrophes.....
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
OK how about this....

They experienced a violent mechanical event that caused loss of hydraulic and some electrical components, including the radios, and maybe even fuel leakage...making control of the aircraft difficult if not impossible....or, allowing only for difficultly executed turns...

Managed to turn the flight around but could not effect any more turns or mainatain altitude control..plane continued the westerly trajectory, dropping slowly in altitude, losing more electrical systems and fuel, the transponders failed, until it ultimately crashed in the water or perhaps on land in Indonesia.....

That's the most plausible scenario I've heard so far. Lack of debris is puzzling but I think it will have to show up sometime, somewhere.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #16

If I recall the Air France crash correctly, several things happened in succession to cause the fatal outcome. First, they attempted to avoid a storm in their path only to run into a rare phenomenon called liquid ice that clogged their airspeed indicator. This sent incorrect information to the pilots who adjusted speed (based on faulty information) causing a stall that sent the plane into a spin. The pilots were unable to control the spin and crashed into the Ocean at full speed.

I suspect more than one thing is responsible for the Malaysia flight disappearance.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #17
Administrator

Looking at the map locations where they lost civilian contact and where the military radar last saw them, they may have been heading for Banda Aceh, where there is a large airport. There was a long-running insurgency in that area that only recently ended. Could have had something to do with that.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:25 PM   #18

Total flight hours over 53,000 , and 7,500 cycles ( take-off - pressurize, landing) on that airplane.

Only 12 years old, but that airplane has a lot of use.

Sudden de-pressurization at 35,000 ft , or a sudden major mechanical situation over the ocean, in the dark, a very taxing situation even for the best flight crew .
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #19

Am watching and following too. The lack of any signal from the plane is more than baffling. Also the fact that not one of the passengers has used any of their own electronics.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:27 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I was scheduled to be deployed, standing on the tarmac in Kadena (P3 contractor) right now, but retired 1 Jan
Interesting to see one of my work sites from afar. Noticed yesterday, and it struck me as interesting, when looking at the news info showing who/what was searching this or that area, the P3 was searching an area on the wrong side of Malaysia away from where everyone else was....
springnr is offline   Reply With Quote