Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-25-2014, 07:51 AM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
The circumstances of this incident are really challenging, I don't think any other SE Asian airline could have done any better. What really bothers me is that there was hazardous cargo on board. Seems to me that our decision to fly Delta to and from SE Asia was wise.
I hate to break it to you but I work in air cargo and a lot of flights have hazmat on board as cargo. It's a big world of stuff flying around 24/7 and a lot of it can be classified hazmat (including these days the worst thing of all, laptop batteries.. )

FWIW, I've shipped hazmat overseas onboard Delta before. Great airline for it...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2014, 05:36 PM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
The circumstances of this incident are really challenging, I don't think any other SE Asian airline could have done any better. What really bothers me is that there was hazardous cargo on board. Seems to me that our decision to fly Delta to and from SE Asia was wise.
There were lithium batteries. But without proof, it's just another theory. IMO, the odd of their catching fire and plane to still fly for ~7 more hours is very, very small.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:43 PM   #163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Every time I've been truly "in the know" about an important event, the press has gotten significant aspects very wrong.
Paraphrasing some cynical law I once read on a law-a-day calendar:

The closer you are to a news event, the more the media reports seem to be wrong while the further you are from a news event, the more the media reports appear to be right.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:57 AM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Latest reports indicate satellite find of around 120 pieces of..... Also there is a record of a last partial ping from ACARS which is only around 8 minutes past the routine 1 hour "I am here". No understanding as yet how that happened.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #165
Give me a forum ...

The more the story goes on, seems like the more the authorities really don't know what happened. I read and article where the authorities are now saying, well, there's still a chance the plane landed somewhere despite telling everyone that it perished.

Quote:
Kuala Lumpur: After three weeks of fruitless searching for any evidence of missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, the Malaysian government said on Saturday it had not fully given up hope of finding survivors.

Although aviation experts have said there is no chance of survival, acting transport minister and defence minister Hishammuddin Hussein told the distraught relatives in the Malaysian capital that there was still a remote chance
Missing Malaysia Airlines plane: relatives told there is still a 'remote chance' of survivors
Old 03-29-2014, 04:39 PM   #166
Gone but not forgotten

The cynic in me wonders if the billions spent on this might have been put to better use. A balance of emotion and humanity.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:50 AM   #167

Would you wonder if your daughter or son were on board? How about if three weeks from now a ship stumbles on a life boat full of dead people? Yes it is a lot of money and it would have been spent by our governments somewhere. Cleaning up after any disaster is expensive and in the end some of the money, looking from the outside, could have always been spent in a better way.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:52 AM   #168
Recycles dryer sheets

As for the US military assets and service folks, those cost are ongoing.
Training or actual search and rescue mission....
springnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:55 AM   #169
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
The more the story goes on, seems like the more the authorities really don't know what happened. I read and article where the authorities are now saying, well, there's still a chance the plane landed somewhere despite telling everyone that it perished.

Missing Malaysia Airlines plane: relatives told there is still a 'remote chance' of survivors
The cynic on my shoulder says they want to forestall lawsuits.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #170

Search area is keep changing. Can't believe how often things have gone back to square one. At this rate, this mystery won't be solved for many years.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

The cynic in me now says either the investigators have no clue or are hiding something and know exactly what happened and is just having the resources look and look until they tire out and leave.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #172
Moderator Emeritus

One thing is for certain - Someone needs to develop a better airplane tracking system. Its almost unbelievable that the searchers can't find this plane with all the technology available today
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
The cynic in me now says either the investigators have no clue or are hiding something and know exactly what happened and is just having the resources look and look until they tire out and leave.
Why is everyone ignoring the elephant in the room?
Isn't it obvious by now that the plane was kidnapped with a tractor beam by aliens and brought up to the mothership?

Seriously, I am very sad about this and believe it will be years before we find it, and even then we may not ever know what happened.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Why is everyone ignoring the elephant in the room?
Isn't it obvious by now that the plane was kidnapped with a tractor beam by aliens and brought up to the mothership?

Seriously, I am very sad about this and believe it will be years before we find it, and even then we may not ever know what happened.
You forgot the mention the cloaking device.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:37 PM   #175

This could end up the classic case of over reaction. 'We need to develop a better way to track planes' Do we? We can't find this AC because someone took action to make sure we can not find it. So not only do we have to create some system to track the AC, but the crew can't turn it off. And, we are going to develop this because we have had one incident. And, we don't even know why this one exist.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:05 AM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Anyone know how many times, in recent history, we've been unable to find a downed plane?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 04-05-2014, 09:09 AM   #177

See post #22
Old 04-05-2014, 09:10 AM   #178
Give me a forum ...

They've heard a ping, but the BBC says:

"China's Liberation Daily reported that three people on board had heard the signals, which were not recorded as they came suddenly."

That doesn't seem right. Were they trying to conserve their cassette tapes?
Old 04-05-2014, 09:13 AM   #179

Eight-tracks. They're scarce these days, and need to be conserved.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Ping signal detected:

Quote:
(CNN) -- In what may turn out to be a major breakthrough in the monthlong search for Malaysia Airlines flight 370, a Chinese patrol ship searching the southern Indian Ocean discovered Saturday the pulse signal used by so-called black boxes, state news agency Xinhua reported.
But the pulse signal has not been confirmed, China's Maritime Search and Rescue Center reported, according to China Communications News, which is the Ministry of Transport's official newspaper.
Xinhua said a detector deployed by the Haixun 01 patrol ship picked up the signal around 25 degrees south latitude and 101 degrees east longitude. "It is yet to be established whether it is related to the missing jet," it said
Could this be it? Possible Malaysia Airlines clue reported - CNN.com