Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-22-2007, 05:52 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So . . . I'm back in business. And that avatar is not what you think: it's just a glow-in-the-dark mushroom.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

I'm in ....
Old 05-22-2007, 06:02 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm in ....

New poster known as Cruisinthru (AKA Lakerat Nomore), it was time for a new beginning since I couldn't seem to get in otherwise.
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:40 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisinthru View Post
New poster known as Cruisinthru (AKA Lakerat Nomore), it was time for a new beginning since I couldn't seem to get in otherwise.
Lakerat/Crusinthru - and any others who have had to register under a new user name to get in - you can get your old user name back.

Send a PM to a forum admin (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/showgroups.php) requesting to merge your accounts (old and new). Be sure to include which name (old or new) you want to keep.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:41 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey, you guys think you got it bad? Guess what? I'm no longer Professor. I'm now "Education" And my password is some crazyass thing I will never remember. I asked the Forum staff to assist me as my old stuff wouldn't work. They did!!!!!! Sucks to be me. I guess I'm like the performer formerly known as Prince!!!!!

Sign me education (formerly known as professor)!!!!!!!!!!!!
education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:48 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee View Post
Yeah. That was my primary way of navigating. That's gonna hurt.
Mine as well.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:03 PM   #26

geez! i tried to log in this morning and finally got a new password after i submitted the need help comment, and even tried a new name but never got the emails to my email acct to log in -

what a headache! the administrator's in-box must be full!
bright eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:03 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

I find it interesting that even though people have taken different names, their post counts are still high.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
wasted space
Old 05-22-2007, 07:04 PM   #28

wasted space

If it's possible - this new format sure wastes a lot of space - why do we need an inch for avatar/name and the post below...now threads are 10 pages long whereas before they were 2 or 3...

perhaps that is something that can be tweaked!

add to the list!

bright eyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:43 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Yuck ... I never got the email to reset my password, so I reinvented myself ... at least now I get to check to see if my avatar loaded or not.
Edit .. ah, I see it did. The system kept telling me that it failed.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:09 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Egads!

We don't have any canned avatars to use. I loved using that beautiful woman that WAS my avatar.

Now, I have to be an ordinary mortal like the rest of you, instead of being utterly gorgeous. I loved being a blonde. Blondes do have more fun (on the forum, anyway). Never been one before.

How annoying. I would look for and upload a photo of another stunning, enigmatic blonde, but it would seem more misleading if people didn't know it was just one of the selection of avatars provided by the board.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:36 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I've seen this kind of thing happen on several other sites and it usually causes a lot of problems for old users for a few days before all the kinks are worked out. Eventually though, most folks start to feel comfortable with the new software and I suspect that will happen here. Generally, some things work better after changes but there are usually some losses also; that seems to be the case here. Hang in there, everybody.
SamHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 08:42 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Gone all day and now home only to discover things seem to have changed........ Too many choices....
Old 05-22-2007, 08:51 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

This is GREAT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee View Post
Yeah. That was my primary way of navigating. That's gonna hurt.
Ahh, the new software is SUPER! Okay, so the new software spreads the posts out over more distance so they are harder to read. And, the software apparently lacks the navigation tools we all found very useful ("New Topics", "My Previous Topics"). And Janet had to tweak a few things for me just so i could log in. Oh, and the PM box is now overloaded. It is still great because it has been imposed externally for our benefit, and I've been told that it is good! In short--this has reminded me again about one of the things I hated most about the workaday world. And I'm happy because these things happen far less often now that I've (largely) jumped clear of that environment.

To gain still more joy, I'll hit my thumb with a hammer now, then relish the warm feeling of remembering how good it feels most days when I don't do that.

Please--everyone! Remember (to call on the immortal spirit of Voltaire) "Everything is for the best in this best of all possible upgrades."

samclem
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:10 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Not that anyone really gives a flitter, but I'm back as bbbamI!

I also like this....>
Old 05-22-2007, 10:58 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone found a way to change the login timeout? I'm used to navigating back to the site every hour or so on some days, and now I'm forced to login again each time.
figner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:01 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
If it's possible - this new format sure wastes a lot of space - why do we need an inch for avatar/name and the post below...
You can turn off the avatars in the 'edit options' section.

Peter
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 12:08 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
...it would seem more misleading if people didn't know it was just one of the selection of avatars provided by the board.
Aw, bummer, NOW you tell us!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 05:51 AM   #38

Wow I'm gone a few days and someone rearranges the furnature, changes the drapes and and paints the walls, interesting and will take some getting use to.

Carolyn

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:34 AM   #39

old dogs, new tricks
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:47 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Ehh,,,, all these old dogs will be brought along........ granted it will be kicking & screaming!

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote