Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-23-2007, 08:50 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
You can turn off the avatars in the 'edit options' section.
Even with avatars turned off, there's still a large banner of mostly wasted space between the posts. The avatar only adds maybe 25% to that. Time to turbo-charge my mouse's scroll wheel!

Samclem, you're right on.. my former employer's IT department used to allow us to choose whatever email client worked best for us. Then the company was acquired, and we all had to switch to a terrible non-standard email program with a centralized database. It was slow and cumbersome to use, and reformatted your message in random ways. We no longer had control over what messages we could save or for how long. And the best part, there were mandatory training meetings where the IT department would spend all day telling us how wonderful it was.

I'm not saying the forum change is as bad as that - as far as I can tell, it's only a little more cumbersome, albeit with a lot more wasted space - but it does remind me of that feeling.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2007, 08:55 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All seems to be settling down now that i'm getting more familiar with the ins and outs.

In retrospect, perhaps a notice posted a week in advance advising of the change, with a global PM to everyone with the instructions on making sure your email was valid, that your PM's would be limited or need to be erased, and how to log in and retain your identity would have saved a few dozen hours of triage and a lot of irritation.

Giving an hours notice and then having everyone arrive to find a screwed up forum that was busily under repair created an awful lot of friction.

Hopefully we wont be going through any further major s/w conversions.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:01 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

p.s. On the old forum, the left margin was used for the poster's name, avatar, and other info. That made the message body narrower and easier to read. (Likewise, newspapers divide their text into columns, instead of having the text run all the way across the page, because it's easier to read that way.)
I find the new forum far less readable, with the text running from the far left to the far right. For now I'm resizing my browser window whenever I visit this site, but it would be a lot nicer if the message body could be made narrower. Ideally, the poster's info would move to the left margin, and the ads could move from the top of every page to the right margin. And registered members would all get free ponies, and a chocolate sundae on every 10th post...
Old 05-23-2007, 09:01 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Password

Can Someone Tell Me How To Find Out My Damn Password?? The Only Way I Can Get On This Damn Forum Is To Go To The Email I Received To Activate My New User Name(had To Re-register) And Then It Logs Me On. But If I Simply Type In My New User Name, I Have To Type In A Password And My Old Won't Work.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:28 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
nicer if the message body could be made narrower.
I agree.

Old.jpg

New.jpg
Old 05-23-2007, 11:15 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I love it when someone actually has to show diagrams to prove a point that makes absolute sense to begin with.

I'm convinced that the people who design forums don't ever use them. Otherwise, don't you think they would see all that wasted space?
Old 05-23-2007, 11:18 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Ok, back in business with my old history restored. I'll go back into my more passive mode.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:57 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

OK folks don't shoot me but I am not having much of a problem with the new software. Save for the fact that I am back to being Cattusbabe instead of Surreal its all good. I have used this on a few other boards I participate on so am familiar with it. Love the selection of smilies by the way. love the cool dude. Reminds me of Linc on Mod Squad.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:11 PM   #49

who'd've thought a retirement forum could be so much work?

where's the right click cut & paste when posting?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:34 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Finally,-- Got logged in. ( I think! ) Took me about three attempts and I'm not certain, how it finally happened.
Wher'es all the Smiley Face thingys?
I liked the OLD forum better!!
Old 05-23-2007, 04:37 PM   #51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Egads!

We don't have any canned avatars to use. I loved using that beautiful woman that WAS my avatar.

Now, I have to be an ordinary mortal like the rest of you, instead of being utterly gorgeous. I loved being a blonde. Blondes do have more fun (on the forum, anyway). Never been one before.

How annoying. I would look for and upload a photo of another stunning, enigmatic blonde, but it would seem more misleading if people didn't know it was just one of the selection of avatars provided by the board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Aw, bummer, NOW you tell us!
I found a blonde, but she is HARDLY enigmatic. I'll use her temporarily, but this avatar does not float my boat, not one bit.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:40 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I found a blonde, but she is HARDLY enigmatic. I'll use her temporarily, but this avatar does not float my boat, not one bit.
Hey, I think her lips are hot!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:41 PM   #53

Quote:
Are you saying that it is a mish-MASH?
Old 05-23-2007, 04:55 PM   #54
Administrator

AHA!!! I found the original Eva Habermann avatar, to substitute for Hotlips!!! Whew, I had to search all over the net and still couldn't find the avatar anywhere until I remembered her name. Then after combing through fan sites and such.... at last.

Yay!!!

And yes, hotlips may be hot, but Eva is sooooooooo enigmatic.

NOW I'm happy.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:38 PM   #55

Where the heck did my ability to cross out words and then substitute synonyms go? Nords is gonna need replacement therapy.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:10 PM   #56
Administrator

Like this, silly greg? It's the right hand thingie on the row with the bold, italic, and such, buttons. It looks like a crossed out ABC.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 02:26 PM   #57

Why the change? Did I miss it? The site was running on Forum SMF and is now runing on VBulitin. SMF is Free, and you have to pay for VBuletin. So why the change. It appears that there are lots of extras with SMF that the site no longer has.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:48 PM   #58

The thing I miss the most is the song.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:27 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
The thing I miss the most is the song.
Me, too!!! What's life without music?! (I'm glad I saved it onto my 'puter!)
Old 05-25-2007, 03:34 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I don't recognize some posters...then I had to register again...couldn't use bbbamI, so here I am as bx3amI. :confused:

he he he

I came and viewed a couple of times as 'anon' with the new S/W, just 'cause I was too lazy to go through the whole: "you email me, I capta you, you email me, I try to log in, you make me change PW..." dance...

So, I finally decided to get up to speed, but it looked like it would not let me use old handle.

Hmmm, no sweat, time for a new one anyway! I decided to be bold and chose:

ER 2008

Well, as soon as I entered my email info, it said "Hey, we know you, that email is already in use! Back of the line, bud, use your old log in, we will mail you a new PW!"

So, here I am; still DRiP Guy, but I sure hope that doesn't mean I can't also ER in '08...

PS - the new S/W was the right move -- vBulletin is good.