Join Early Retirement Today

Argghhh
Old 05-25-2007, 04:15 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Argghhh

I've spent the last few days trying to figure out how to post - was told in an email to change my preferences under User Cp on the upper toolbar - can any of you see that?? Finally clicked the remember me box and am allowed to post now - so far, first impression is bad.

Now just imagine this happening with the medical device software you are attached to...happens all the time - the salesperson says "ahh, anyone can do this, the interface is so uesr-friendly, intuitive, yada, yada, yada." In the meantime, the RT can't adjust your ventilator....

Sigh - back to fiddling with the new interface.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2007, 04:24 PM   #62
Administrator

Yes, I see that toolbar. Look underneath the large "Early REtirement Forums" at the top, and the third line of text below that is a blue toolbar with Forums, Links, and then User CP (reading from the left).

Good luck!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 06:36 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

One minor complaint about the new software. I don't like the banner in the upper left the screen; the one that says in big 20pt font "Early Retirement Forums". This is mostly because when I surf at work, it doesn't look good if someone happens to walk by and see that! Can I turn that off somehow?

On the old software, the only thing I had to worry about is CFB going to his old avatar or Outtahere's avatar!
Old 05-25-2007, 07:00 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - Even if I did like it/got used to the new forum and all that - I would never admit it.

heh heh heh - what with a curmudgeon certificate and being a lefthanded, INTJ, ex en-ga-neer - which has no bearing at all on the subject of the thread. .
Old 05-25-2007, 07:02 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot View Post
One minor complaint about the new software. I don't like the banner in the upper left the screen; the one that says in big 20pt font "Early Retirement Forums". This is mostly because when I surf at work, it doesn't look good if someone happens to walk by and see that! Can I turn that off somehow?
If you run Firefox with the Adblock plug-in, you can kill that graphic ... or any others that you'd prefer not to see.

Peter
Old 05-26-2007, 08:58 AM   #66

Trying the quick reply.

I had no problems logging in after first requesting and receiving a new p/w. My login "sticks" for now (finger crossed). Avatar is gone (least of my worries).

There is a HUMONGOUS amount of wasted space. I have a 21" screen and with the header info I can only see two (2) posts (one line comment each) with the window maximized. A lot of scrolling for little gain. I read fast and can't seem to scroll fast enough. Even a two word reply takes up 2-3" of vertical screen real estate. What I liked about the old forum was that it was nice and tight. Here I feel like I'm trying to capture the last three Cheerios floating around in the milk. I have come here very little to read since the change, since it's not as pleasant to do so.

Aside from the giant names/profiles, signatures in particular are annoying. There should be a maximum size they occupy AND they should be kept in a smaller distinctive TINY font. It's very tiresome when they run in to message text using the same size and font as the message. Right now between the name and profile at the right (too large) and the excess of poorly-handled white space.. the actual "meat of the matter" - the posts - seem to occupy 2-50% of the screen. The window for replies is similarly stingy (and not just Quick Replies).

I wish one of the moderators could organize space for comments on the new site into category threads in the Forum Admin section, like: signatures; space; replies; searching; avatars; logins; ads and so forth. Seems like the new mgmt. is willing to work on some of these issues, but I wish there were a more structured way for us INTJs to communicate our assessments.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:05 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

One plausible bit of help for those with oversized text and undersized screens...most browsers have the ability to resize text for a particular site.

In firefox its 'view/text size'...i'm sure its something similar in internet exploder
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
One plausible bit of help for those with oversized text and undersized screens...most browsers have the ability to resize text for a particular site.

In firefox its 'view/text size'...i'm sure its something similar in internet exploder
Or if you have a mouse with a 'scroll' wheel, hold down the 'Ctrl' key on the keyboard and turn the 'scroll' wheel. That will decrease/increase text size. Works on most websites.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:59 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

ctrl-minus and ctrl-plus also work!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:16 AM   #70

I know how to do that.. it doesn't (much) change the ratio of post text vs. everything else.

I understand that more wasted space = more pages = more page views = in theory more ad $. I'll be curious to see if it actually plays out that way because personally my equation is: more annoying to read = less visits = less page views.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:07 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Maybe its that Mac you have thats causing all these problems
Old 05-27-2007, 10:59 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
I know how to do that.. it doesn't (much) change the ratio of post text vs. everything else.

I understand that more wasted space = more pages = more page views = in theory more ad $. I'll be curious to see if it actually plays out that way because personally my equation is: more annoying to read = less visits = less page views.
I increased the number of posts per page

UserCP -> Edit Options -> Thread Display Options (third box) - Number of Posts per Page (you can also shut off sigs and avatars.)
Old 05-27-2007, 07:34 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Not sure of this feature was on the old software but the links to old discussions on the subjects is great .Cudos to you Andy !
Old 05-27-2007, 10:49 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

What's going on? I go on vacation and now I don't recognize the forum. This will take some getting used to. Seems like a lot of my favourite features are missing.

I will embrace change, I will embrace change, I will embrace change........

This is sounding far too much like W*ork!
Old 05-28-2007, 07:43 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

You missed the major bitch-a-thon last week. My main complaint was the wasted space taken up by intrusive ads, but I switched to Firefox and solved that problem (and I really like FireFox now).

There are a number of things that take two clicks now instead of one. I'd complain about those, but most people don't realize how much better one click is than two ("Oh, poor baby, did you have to click the mouse twice. Did dat hurt your wittle finger?")

But there are a few improvements (nicer interface for putting in links and images), so I've settled down now. I go through this process with most upgrades.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:08 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoAl View Post
and I really like FireFox now).

Wait until you find Greasemonkey, if you can do any javascript programming...or at least can manage some script twiddling.

You can customize the display of any element, type of elements, or any particular page any way you like...
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748
Old 05-29-2007, 12:35 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
. . .
But there are a few improvements . . .
I especially like the new spelling and grammar checker. I can type anything into the post and TromboneAl comes along later and corrects me.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:13 AM   #78

How do I turn off the subscription thing? I keep getting emails from threads, and I go to the unsubscribe link, then can't figure out how to actually unsubscribe!
Old 05-29-2007, 10:16 AM   #79

Never mind. I figured it out. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:29 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Where is the profile tag line?

Not the signature. Doesn't seem to be editable anymore.