Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-03-2009, 08:50 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've quit worrying about accomplishments.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2009, 11:16 AM   #22

I got a lot closer to DW. We spent a lot of time together, almost like being on a "marriage retreat" for a while there. That alone was worthwhile, as I gained a much better understanding of what is of real importance to her and what is not.

She simply doesn't care about "what's on sale" or driving the latest and newest car or stylish clothes. In fact I have to push her to "go out and buy some clothes" because what she has gets a bit threadbare before she'll replace them. As long as the car is reasonably comfortable and reliable she doesn't care what it is or how old it is. She likes and appreciates a nice restaurant meal once in a while but we'll go for weeks at a time and not eat out.

What she does care about is home and family, and spends much of her time and energy looking after her learning-disabled niece and dealing with her father's aging issues. She's really special.

And I gained a lot of insight to myself, as to what is important and what is not.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I got a lot closer to DW. We spent a lot of time together, almost like being on a "marriage retreat" for a while there. That alone was worthwhile, as I gained a much better understanding of what is of real importance to her and what is not.

She simply doesn't care about "what's on sale" or driving the latest and newest car or stylish clothes. In fact I have to push her to "go out and buy some clothes" because what she has gets a bit threadbare before she'll replace them. As long as the car is reasonably comfortable and reliable she doesn't care what it is or how old it is. She likes and appreciates a nice restaurant meal once in a while but we'll go for weeks at a time and not eat out.

What she does care about is home and family, and spends much of her time and energy looking after her learning-disabled niece and dealing with her father's aging issues. She's really special.

And I gained a lot of insight to myself, as to what is important and what is not.
She sounds like a very good person. Congratulations!

Ha
Old 10-03-2009, 12:28 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I´ve come to realize that I am basically a very lazy person. Deep in my heart I´ve always known that, but while I had to work I ignored this fact in order not to be demoralized. I can´t justify myself saying that I pursued the wrong career....I could have done something else. And now I don´t like to do any chore.... Shameful, I know.
When my Final Judgment comes I´m sure to be at least convicted of LAZINESS, the 7th Capital Sin.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #25

It's nice to hear that there are some happy marriages of long duration out there at least. Congrats!
Vicente, from what I hear from my pool pals that are retired, seems like 3/4ths of them are like you. Sounds pretty normal to me, and retirement can be what you want it to be.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I actually do have a retirement accomplishment list. I read a couple of decades ago that if you couldn't name 10 things off the top of your head that you would like to do in retirement, then you probably weren't a good ER candidate. My list was in the 20s.

I've accomplished a few.

Built our dream house at the beach, although now we're starting to plan for our future dream farm life home. Far away from the rich snobby folks and the HOAs.

Bought a couple of kayaks and started paddling.

Lost 20 lbs. Did this one twice, plus I gained 20 lbs 3 times so now I'm going to do it again. How's that for accomplishing?

However, as far as some of the other items go, not so good.

Learning Spanish - I've installed the Rosetta Stone software.

Improving my musical techniques - I'm just as bad as I used to be, just on a couple more instruments now.

Through hiking the Appalachian Trail - I walk 3 or so miles every day, but the land is perfectly flat, so I'm not sure this counts as training.

etc.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I'm with Wahoo. Goal setting is something I disliked at work and don't plan to do in retirement - other than the fundamental goal of staying retired. Now doing stuff - that is another matter.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I'm with Wahoo. Goal setting is something I disliked at work and don't plan to do in retirement - other than the fundamental goal of staying retired. Now doing stuff - that is another matter.
Absolutely but there are a lot of forum members who had long lists of what they would accomplish in ER and what I 'm wondering is if they accomplished any of them or not ? My goal for retirement was no goals except keep from being bored and I have accomplished that most days .
Old 10-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I actually do have a retirement accomplishment list. I read a couple of decades ago that if you couldn't name 10 things off the top of your head that you would like to do in retirement, then you probably weren't a good ER candidate. My list was in the 20s.

I've accomplished a few.

Built our dream house at the beach, although now we're starting to plan for our future dream farm life home. Far away from the rich snobby folks and the HOAs.

Bought a couple of kayaks and started paddling.

Lost 20 lbs. Did this one twice, plus I gained 20 lbs 3 times so now I'm going to do it again. How's that for accomplishing?

However, as far as some of the other items go, not so good.

Learning Spanish - I've installed the Rosetta Stone software.

Improving my musical techniques - I'm just as bad as I used to be, just on a couple more instruments now.

Through hiking the Appalachian Trail - I walk 3 or so miles every day, but the land is perfectly flat, so I'm not sure this counts as training.

etc.

Congratulations on accomplishing a few of your goals !
Old 10-03-2009, 04:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post

I've accomplished a few.....
I read books and articles that recommended making the retirement "To Do" lists too. So I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
.........there are a lot of forum members who had long lists of what they would accomplish in ER and what I 'm wondering is if they accomplished any of them or not ?
I had one of those looooong lists.....I started it the year before I pulled the plug, and had it pretty much all written by my last day on the hamster-wheel. I was soooo proud of me!!!

Within a week or 2 of escaping captivity, I misplaced/lost the list!!! I am sooooo proud of me!!!!

Quote:
My goal for retirement was no goals except keep from being bored and I have accomplished that most days .
I've been footloose & fancy-free for 2 1/2 years as of next week, and I haven't been bored for a split millisecond...not even once!!!

Some days I tinker with my hobbies, some days I play in the dirt (in my gardens), some days it's traveling or day-trips, and some days finding just the right food or restaurant to satisfy an urge.

And some days.....I do absolutely nothing for the entire day...nada, zilch, cero, zip, NOTHING!!!! And it's usually those days, that I feel as if I've made my greatest accomplishment!!!
Old 10-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

My principal goal is to become an expert in procrastination within one year of RE. Or two.....whatever!

Old 10-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I never really thought about setting goals in retirement. When I first left megacorp years ago, I worked around the house like a wild woman. After about a year I realized I had time...I didn't have to rush. This realization gave me the feeling of freedom. I started feeling like a teenager again. Well....almost.

I started trying new things; some of which I loved, the others not so much. I surprised myself when I found I was very good at handling difficult situations because I thrived at the help center, police department and court. I started drawing again. I began to take better care of myself and once again when I realized time seemed to be flying by, I started doing things that gave me pleasure.

Retirement gave me the gift of my true self.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Starting to get annoyed.....By Manaña you mean Mañana (tomorrow) or what?
Put me in the list of recalcitrant and unrepentant non acheievers
Thanks, vicente. It means I can spell in neither Español nor Inglés. I have a friend named Manana without any marks on her "n"s; her name may mean Mary in Russian. I'm with you on that list. zzzzz
Old 10-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Absolutely but there are a lot of forum members who had long lists of what they would accomplish in ER and what I 'm wondering is if they accomplished any of them or not ? My goal for retirement was no goals except keep from being bored and I have accomplished that most days .
My only real goal was to stay solvent and to live in a way that I can feel good about. I knew I would have no problem staying engaged and enjoying my life, but I did think that the money thing might be tough, especially after divorce.

Since I live in a big nice city with weather that allows me to be out and about most days (occasionally with an umbrella up ) I have lots of pleasurable things to do and always have motivation to get moving. I look forward to returning home in the late afternoon and fixing some dinner, enjoying a drink and if it is a night I am staying home, read or maybe watch a ballgame.

For the most part, I think the main challenges of retirement are financial. That, and getting older.

Today I just missed a bus, and then the driver had to stop at a light. So I rapped on the door and asked to be let in. He just ignored me and proceeded to his next stop, with me running along beside, trying to keep my pack from bouncing off. I made it to the stop, and when I boarded I said "You sure made me work for that". So he says, "Sport, I knew you still had it in you."

I've basically had an easy life overall, and a whole lot of fun. Eventually it may not be as good, but I can hope.

Ha
Old 10-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Since I live in a big nice city with weather that allows me to be out and about most days (occasionally with an umbrella up ) I have lots of pleasurable things to do and always have motivation to get moving. I look forward to returning home in the late afternoon and fixing some dinner, enjoying a drink and if it is a night I am staying home, read or maybe watch a ballgame.
I've basically had an easy life overall, and a whole lot of fun. Eventually it may not be as good, but I can hope.

Ha
Ha, I think you've mastered the lifestyle I always aspired to: Flâneur.

Flâneur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-03-2009, 09:54 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Ha, I think you've mastered the lifestyle I always aspired to: Flâneur.

Flâneur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
LOL! Next time someone asks "Mr. Ha, what do you do", I shall reply, "Moi, je suis un flaneur!"

Thank you Cuppa, this has style!

Ha
Old 10-03-2009, 10:13 PM   #37

Quote:
My only real goal was to stay solvent and to live in a way that I can feel good about.
This was my primary goal also.

As a single parent working full time, I never had much time to pursue any hobbies while I was raising my kids. So over the years, I made a list of things I wanted to do or learn after I retired and had more free time. And in the past 4 years, I've had a lot of fun doing them too.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:37 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

OK - I'm too darn lazy to add to the list I already posted in Nov of 2006:

Few of these were goals when I retired, most of these were things I decided to do as retirement unfolded and after 7 years they had added up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Here is what I have ALREADY DONE since retiring in 1999:
  • Develop proficiency in nature and wildlife photography (film and later digital)
  • Develop proficiency in wildlife video
  • Learn how to edit video and produce DVDs
  • Develop proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, GoLive, and InDesign
  • Learn how to produce exceptional photo prints
  • Travel all over North America (including Alaska, Canada & Mexico) on birdwatching and photography trips
  • Go on a whale watching trip (and see a bunch of whales!)
  • Significantly improve my birding skills including birding by ear
  • Complete the Cornell Home Study Course on Ornithology
  • Study and complete texts on Earth Science, Geology, General, Organic and Biochemistry
  • Read a dadgum large number of natural history books.
  • Learn butterfly identification
  • Re-establish and increase my fluency in Spanish
  • Publish a wildlife calendar
  • Produce several nature videos/DVDs - including some for use by nature education programs
  • Start and maintain a travelogue blog
  • Get rid of most of my stuff and sell my house and switch to the RV fulltimer lifestyle
  • Get my Class B driver's license (for heavy vehicles)
  • Become an experienced RVer
  • Make friends with several Texas naturalists whom I admire
  • Learn basic graphic design skills and produce some posters/banners
  • Learn basic web design skills
  • Learn how to manage our investments - develop an investment strategy and implement/maintain it
  • Learn Hatha Yoga
  • Learn Pilates
  • Hire a personal trainer and get in great (muscular) shape
  • Take several courses in drawing
This is from an interesting older thread: What to do when you finally decide...

Maybe there are a few more things I have done since late 2006....

Audrey
Old 10-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For the most part, I think the main challenges of retirement are financial. That, and getting older.
For me these days the main challenge of retirement seems to be keeping the d&$@!n motorhome running!

Audrey
Old 10-04-2009, 07:18 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
My principal goal is to become an expert in procrastination within one year of RE. Or two.....whatever!

Meadbh: To tell you the truth I´m not confortable procrastinating...having a wife that still has 14 years of working before retiring. It´s a bit embarrassing, shameful, sinful....She takes a dim view at it....
I try to go through the motions of appearing semi-busy...