Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-08-2018, 10:31 PM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Just wrapped up from-scratch split pea and ham soup, using a leftover spiral ham bone and made-from-thanksgiving-turkey broth.

Started a large pot of black beans seasoned with garlic and onion around sunset. We ate them for dinner over brown rice with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese.

When that's finished, on to tuna fish croquettes made with a nice hunk of aged cheddar. Likely served with a side of roasted Brussel sprouts with a red wine vinegar and olive oil dressing.

I love cooking in cold weather because it makes it much nicer to be in the kitchen!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2018, 11:33 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DW finally got around to making pea soup from the ham bone that we had just before New Years... good! I'm getting a hankering for a pot of New England Baked Beans... with Vermont maple syrup of course..... perhaps I'll make some for the Patriots game on Saturday night.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:54 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It’s time for us to get back on our usual eating plan. Too much holiday food this year! Tonight I made roasted salmon filets, broiled tomatoes with pecorino Romano cheese on top, and steamed asparagus. Delicious & healthy! We started back on salads for lunch. The prepackaged Ready Pac Bistro salads are quite good and are reasonable at 3/$10.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:50 AM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Looking for ideas. The last of the Thanksgiving leftovers is about a half-gallon or more of turkey broth made from the turkey bone. It's been in a bag in the freezer since a few days after T-day. My first thought was matzo ball soup, but it's a bit much for that.

I suppose I could just throw in some veggies and meat for a generic stew.

What would you make with it?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:13 AM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Looking for ideas. The last of the Thanksgiving leftovers is about a half-gallon or more of turkey broth made from the turkey bone. It's been in a bag in the freezer since a few days after T-day. My first thought was matzo ball soup, but it's a bit much for that.

I suppose I could just throw in some veggies and meat for a generic stew.

What would you make with it?
How about using it to make quinoa? I often use broth instead of water, for more flavour. Or how about risotto?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:19 AM   #86

Eight pound pork shoulder on the BGE made over five pounds of glorious pulled pork which we will consume over the next week or so. It's such an easy thing to make: set it and forget it overnight for about a 14-hour cook, low and slow. We can get excellent pulled pork at a local BBQ place for $16 a pound, but doing it myself it's under $3 a pound, including the rub and the charcoal.