What have you cooked lately - Andouille Sausage and Red Beans

What is the function of the wood block? It looks so pretty against the backsplash tiles. Maybe that IS the function.
The one I posted? It's a cutting board.

Actually of the billions of board feet of walnut I inspected that's the only piece I have. It's special in that it's the only piece I have from when my late brother and I had a mill together.

A couple of years ago I got into the America Test Kitchen and Cooks Country magazines. I've been making lots of stuff from them. Last night was "Next-Level Chicken Piccata" with a side of roasted asparagus. Even my DW was impressed LOL!

If you liked ATK you'll like https://www.seriouseats.com/ too. SAme thing , science of cooking.. DW has gone a WFPB diet ( or forks over knifes diet ) lots of her recipes are very good and tasty, for me FLAVOR is more important then the chewing on some meats. She made a tofu lasagne yetserday that was great, i did add sauage to my plate. :cool:

DD and her fiance returned from vacation yesterday so I made a comfort food dinner:
Roast pork tenderloin.
Mashed potatoes.
Gravy.
Boiled broccoli with fresh parmesan chesse.

DD and her fiance returned from vacation yesterday so I made a comfort food dinner:
Roast pork tenderloin.
Mashed potatoes.
Gravy.
Boiled broccoli with fresh parmesan chesse.

Sounds great. And very comforting.

I only use the microwave for cooking broccoli these days. I like it much better that way.

I bought all the fixings for New England Boiled Dinner yesterday. It will be going in the crock pot shortly.

As another native new englander, I need to ask: Corned beef or smoked shoulder? Growing up, we only considered the later as a new england boiled dinner. The former was simply corned beef and cabbage (and potatoes, and carrots and turnip).:D

One of my wishes after FIRE is to entertain more at home. I haven't done dinner parties since I was a graduate student! I had a non-critical friend over as a pre-start, and one thing I served was a rich caramel vanilla pudding made with cream, egg yolk, carmalized sugar, etc. I had never made anything like this before, and it was fun, though a bit sweet.

Taking the advice of others on this site, I am making a nice loaf of partial whole wheat bread, using 1/3 whole wheat max. It is smelling very good.

So true. And very difficult to get in most of the country.
I'm reminded of where I grew up, north central PA. There's was no Mexican food in the town when we grew up there.

When I want to DM's funeral service in '09 my niece came along. She'd never been to that little town, lived her entire life in Austin, and I don't think she believed her DM on how little diversity there was.

As we're checking in the hotel, the niece asked if there was any Mexican restaurants in town? The young lady exclaimed "there's a brand new one just up the street, everyone loves it"! Niece asked the young lady for directions and the name? Taco Bell!

Tonight I cooked pork tenderloin in the Instant Pot. The pork was cut into medallions and had been marinated for four hours with soy sauce, fish sauce, maple syrup, crushed garlic, cumin, cayenne pepper and sesame seeds. To this I added vegetables, including celery, Vidalia onion, carrot, bok choy, mushrooms and orange bell pepper, as well as some vegetable stock. I meant to add some apple, but I forgot. Once cooked, I separated the food from the sauce and thickened it a little with a cornstarch slurry. I served it over basmati rice, garnished with spring onions and parsley. The pork was fall-apart tender. Another winner! I put the rice and meat/veg in the fridge in my ekovana “Pot in pot” containers, ready to heat up tomorrow, and there is more than enough sauce in a saucepan. It will make a great soup.

Last edited:
Just got back home from a week in Sweden where I totally fell in love with their kanelbullar (cinnamon buns). Absolutely the most delicious things, and I'm going to have to learn to make them.

Swedes really have a sweet tooth, which was a bit of a surprise to me. If you've ever had these at IKEA, rest assured that the ones in Sweden are much better.

Boiled crawfish yesterday. With the fixins': potatoes, sausage, mushrooms, corn, onions, and garlic. Love the boiled garlic!

Just got back home from a week in Sweden where I totally fell in love with their kanelbullar (cinnamon buns). Absolutely the most delicious things, and I'm going to have to learn to make them.

Swedes really have a sweet tooth, which was a bit of a surprise to me. If you've ever had these at IKEA, rest assured that the ones in Sweden are much better.

Try Donal Skehan’s recipe below. He is Irish but his wife is Swedish.

Donal Skehan | Swedish Cinnamon Buns

Yesterday's dinner, Chille Verde. Not traditional for St. Patty's day, but it's green.

https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/pressure-cooker-chili-verde-green-pork-chili/

20180318_093737.jpg

Last edited:
I made the typical simmered corned beef, but after 4 hours when the meat was "done", I put it on a rack in a dish fat side down, and coated it in a spicy mustard, and lightly rubbed brown sugar over it, top and sides.
(I could have mixed the mustard and brown sugar in a bowl first but I was being lazy).
So I was coating the meat and not the fat.

Then I put in in the pre-heated oven at 400 F for 30-40 minutes to crisp up, while I cooked the vegies in the broth.

The cold weather is not quite over, so I made onion soup today. The recipe I use takes 4 pounds of onions for 2 quarts of soup, which always amazes me. Good stuff!

Also picked up a corned beef brisket (post-St. Pat's day sale) and will turn it into pastrami this week.

I made a big batch of Pad Thai last night, enough for supper and then lunch today. I'll confess that I use a store-bought sauce, as I've had a hard time getting the sauce just right at home. Plus it's a lot of extra work making the sauce in addition to all the prep for the other ingredients. But I did go through the effort of trying four different store-bought sauces before finding the one we think best duplicates the restaurant versions we like.

One thing I like better in my home cooked version is using grated daikon as a garnish instead of bean sprouts. Most grocery stores around here don't carry bean sprouts anymore, I suppose because of all the e-coli scares. The Asian store in town has them, but only in rather large bags, which are sometimes inconvenient to use up before they go bad. Also, bean sprouts can be awkward to eat with chopsticks, they're hard to pick up and always poking out in different directions. The mild radish flavor of the daikon goes better with the sweetness of the Pad Thai sauce, IMO. Grating the thing with a food processor gives it a shape like small bean sprouts, round to contrast the flat noodles, but easier to manage with chopsticks.

Last edited:
I made a thick creamy Clam Chowder with potatoes, celery, onions, carrots, clams and the magical ingredient; homemade bacon. It cures what ails you on a blustery March day.

I made Brunswick stew using the pulled pork my brother smoked. Not bad for a couple guys living on the road in a hotel right now...

Boiled crawfish yesterday. With the fixins': potatoes, sausage, mushrooms, corn, onions, and garlic. Love the boiled garlic!

Yum! And gluten and dairy free too!

I’ve never had it with boiled mushrooms or garlic.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom