Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What have you cooked lately - Andouille Sausage and Red Beans
Old 03-10-2018, 11:33 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What have you cooked lately - Andouille Sausage and Red Beans

Mrs Ray in Penn and her twin sister don’t like spicy foods. Onions must be chopped very finely and nearly melt into any dish. Her tomato sauce (I refer to it as blood sauce) can pass through a sieve and leaving nothing behind. They’ll turn up their noses at any hint of spice. Oh she eat a tiny bit of my chili but it isn’t her thing. It was with some dismay she noted that sometime ago my son started to come over to the dark side and developed a taste for the spicy foods I enjoy. When he’s home we share buffalo wings, spicy tomato & clam sauce on linguini. Yep he’s all me.

The breakthrough: My daughter on the other hand had remained spice phobic and fussy. That is until she just tried my Andouille Sausage and Red Beans. “It tastes good do you serve that with rice?“ “Sure, any way you like”. I feel like Darth Vader another successful recruitment.

IMG_0292.JPG
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2018, 02:45 PM   #2

Same thing with my DW. I do all the cooking. Make my spicy stuff for lunch and she makes her own lunch. Then I cook something we both like for dinner. It's a tenuous comprimise at best. I too have tempted a DD over to my spicy stuff (and mushrooms, seafood, lamb, lentils, Indian, cajun, and all the other stuff DW doesn't like)
Old 03-10-2018, 03:36 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
Mrs Ray in Penn and her twin sister don’t like spicy foods. Onions must be chopped very finely and nearly melt into any dish. Her tomato sauce (I refer to it as blood sauce) can pass through a sieve and leaving nothing behind. They’ll turn up their noses at any hint of spice. Oh she eat a tiny bit of my chili but it isn’t her thing. It was with some dismay she noted that sometime ago my son started to come over to the dark side and developed a taste for the spicy foods I enjoy. When he’s home we share buffalo wings, spicy tomato & clam sauce on linguini. Yep he’s all me.

The breakthrough: My daughter on the other hand had remained spice phobic and fussy. That is until she just tried my Andouille Sausage and Red Beans. “It tastes good do you serve that with rice?“ “Sure, any way you like”. I feel like Darth Vader another successful recruitment.

Attachment 27986
Love Andouille Sausage and Red Beans. Looks delicious. Can you send some to Florida?
Old 03-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
Same thing with my DW. I do all the cooking. Make my spicy stuff for lunch and she makes her own lunch. Then I cook something we both like for dinner. It's a tenuous comprimise at best. I too have tempted a DD over to my spicy stuff (and mushrooms, seafood, lamb, lentils, Indian, cajun, and all the other stuff DW doesn't like)
Thanks, that actually sounds like a good way to compromise and I just might try it. My DW runs for a glass of water when I put in a tiny pinch of spice that I can't even detect. I just don't feel right making two dinners, but a smaller, separate dish for lunch would be just right. We often eat separately for lunch anyway.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:44 PM   #5

You have inspired me to break out my sausage and red beans recipe - thanks!!!

Here's what I made tonight. Blackened salmon with spicy avocado salsa, red quinoa, and brussel sprout kale slaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PART_1520725804162_IMG_20180310_184749.jpg (91.7 KB, 56 views)

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:47 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
You have inspired me to break out my sausage and red beans recipe - thanks!!!

Here's what I made tonight. Blackened salmon with spicy avocado salsa, red quinoa, and brussel sprout kale slaw.
Looking good, although my blackened fish would be truly blackened (charred), and loaded with cajun spice blend.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:59 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Love Andouille Sausage and Red Beans. Looks delicious. Can you send some to Florida?
One of the very few negatives I've run into with snow birding is I'm never really in soup/stew season. I'll still make it occasionally, but it's not the same without the chilly weather to make it the perfect food.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:34 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Ready to main Gai Tom Kha tomorrow.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:56 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Looking good, although my blackened fish would be truly blackened (charred), and loaded with cajun spice blend.
Yeah, Simple Girl's blackened salmon would never pass the "blackened" test down this way, but it does look good!
Old 03-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

It's been a while since I made blackened fish. I liked to use mahi-mahi, with a cast iron skillet on a gas burner of 50,000 BTU/hr. It was set up outside, not in the kitchen. There was a lot of smoke!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:18 AM   #11

LOL yes I agree, it doesn't look blackened! I baked it this time instead of frying it, which resulted in that effect.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Ready to main Gai Tom Kha tomorrow.
This is one of my favorite dishes to make!

I also love to make green or red thai curry with beef. I have thai basil growing in the garden for it right now. Should be ready for harvest in just a week or so. I'm also growing japanese eggplant again, but it will be a long while before it is producing.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:39 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
This is one of my favorite dishes to make!

I also love to make green or red thai curry with beef. I have thai basil growing in the garden for it right now. Should be ready for harvest in just a week or so. I'm also growing japanese eggplant again, but it will be a long while before it is producing.
Yum!

My main dishes are prik king, massaman curry, and Penang curry.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:48 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought all the fixings for New England Boiled Dinner yesterday. It will be going in the crock pot shortly.
nativenewenglander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:17 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Last evening I made a rustic meaty tomato sauce using lean ground chicken, Italian stewed tomatoes, garlic (lots of garlic), onion, celery, crimini mushrooms, herbs including tarragon and Italian seasoning, and some stock left over from a previous stew. This was in the Instant Pot. In a separate pot, I cooked some white quinoa in chicken stock, adding in some chopped bok choi and spring onions at the last minute. I served the sauce over the quinoa, and topped it with Italian parsley. It was delicious.

Tonight I will thicken up the remainder of the sauce using a cornstarch slurry. I will combine this with a bechamel sauce, some fresh pasta sheets, and Parmiggiana-Reggiano to make a lasagne, which I will cook “Pot in Pot” in my Instant Pot.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:02 PM   #16

I cook lots of spicy hot Mexican food, New Mexico style, because all we can get around here is Tex-Mex. I have a source for homemade blue corn tortillas here, and so I make enchiladas, tacos, chalupas, pesole, heuvos rancheros and so forth. I should learn to make the Andouille Sausage and red beans, because it looks delicious!
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:07 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
... because all we can get around here is Tex-Mex.
You say that like it's a bad thing. Tex-Mex is so good it's addictive!
Old 03-11-2018, 03:19 PM   #18

A couple of years ago I got into the America Test Kitchen and Cooks Country magazines. I've been making lots of stuff from them. Last night was "Next-Level Chicken Piccata" with a side of roasted asparagus. Even my DW was impressed LOL!
Old 03-11-2018, 03:36 PM   #19

Today I did a whole chicken in the crockpot. Rubbed it with a great spice mix before it went it. Smells heavenly! Will have some with roast broccoli for dinner.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:02 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

20180311_162202.jpg

I made these. Just a Ghirardelli box mix(with additions), but they're fantastic.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote