What have you cooked lately - Andouille Sausage and Red Beans

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Mrs Ray in Penn and her twin sister don’t like spicy foods. Onions must be chopped very finely and nearly melt into any dish. Her tomato sauce (I refer to it as blood sauce) can pass through a sieve and leaving nothing behind. They’ll turn up their noses at any hint of spice. Oh she eat a tiny bit of my chili but it isn’t her thing. It was with some dismay she noted that sometime ago my son started to come over to the dark side and developed a taste for the spicy foods I enjoy. When he’s home we share buffalo wings, spicy tomato & clam sauce on linguini. Yep he’s all me.

The breakthrough: My daughter on the other hand had remained spice phobic and fussy. That is until she just tried my Andouille Sausage and Red Beans. “It tastes good do you serve that with rice?“ “Sure, any way you like”. I feel like Darth Vader another successful recruitment.

IMG_0292.JPG

Same thing with my DW. I do all the cooking. Make my spicy stuff for lunch and she makes her own lunch. Then I cook something we both like for dinner. It's a tenuous comprimise at best. I too have tempted a DD over to my spicy stuff (and mushrooms, seafood, lamb, lentils, Indian, cajun, and all the other stuff DW doesn't like)

Mrs Ray in Penn and her twin sister don’t like spicy foods. Onions must be chopped very finely and nearly melt into any dish. Her tomato sauce (I refer to it as blood sauce) can pass through a sieve and leaving nothing behind. They’ll turn up their noses at any hint of spice. Oh she eat a tiny bit of my chili but it isn’t her thing. It was with some dismay she noted that sometime ago my son started to come over to the dark side and developed a taste for the spicy foods I enjoy. When he’s home we share buffalo wings, spicy tomato & clam sauce on linguini. Yep he’s all me.

The breakthrough: My daughter on the other hand had remained spice phobic and fussy. That is until she just tried my Andouille Sausage and Red Beans. “It tastes good do you serve that with rice?“ “Sure, any way you like”. I feel like Darth Vader another successful recruitment.

View attachment 27986

Love Andouille Sausage and Red Beans. Looks delicious. Can you send some to Florida?:greetings10:

Same thing with my DW. I do all the cooking. Make my spicy stuff for lunch and she makes her own lunch. Then I cook something we both like for dinner. It's a tenuous comprimise at best. I too have tempted a DD over to my spicy stuff (and mushrooms, seafood, lamb, lentils, Indian, cajun, and all the other stuff DW doesn't like)

Thanks, that actually sounds like a good way to compromise and I just might try it. My DW runs for a glass of water when I put in a tiny pinch of spice that I can't even detect. I just don't feel right making two dinners, but a smaller, separate dish for lunch would be just right. We often eat separately for lunch anyway.

You have inspired me to break out my sausage and red beans recipe - thanks!!!

Here's what I made tonight. Blackened salmon with spicy avocado salsa, red quinoa, and brussel sprout kale slaw.

Attachments

• PART_1520725804162_IMG_20180310_184749.jpg
    PART_1520725804162_IMG_20180310_184749.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 56
You have inspired me to break out my sausage and red beans recipe - thanks!!!

Here's what I made tonight. Blackened salmon with spicy avocado salsa, red quinoa, and brussel sprout kale slaw.
Looking good, although my blackened fish would be truly blackened (charred), and loaded with cajun spice blend.

Love Andouille Sausage and Red Beans. Looks delicious. Can you send some to Florida?:greetings10:

One of the very few negatives I've run into with snow birding is I'm never really in soup/stew season. I'll still make it occasionally, but it's not the same without the chilly weather to make it the perfect food.

Looking good, although my blackened fish would be truly blackened (charred), and loaded with cajun spice blend.

Yeah, Simple Girl's blackened salmon would never pass the "blackened" test down this way, but it does look good!:)

It's been a while since I made blackened fish. I liked to use mahi-mahi, with a cast iron skillet on a gas burner of 50,000 BTU/hr. It was set up outside, not in the kitchen. There was a lot of smoke!

LOL yes I agree, it doesn't look blackened! I baked it this time instead of frying it, which resulted in that effect. :)

Ready to main Gai Tom Kha tomorrow.

This is one of my favorite dishes to make!

I also love to make green or red thai curry with beef. I have thai basil growing in the garden for it right now. Should be ready for harvest in just a week or so. I'm also growing japanese eggplant again, but it will be a long while before it is producing.

This is one of my favorite dishes to make!

I also love to make green or red thai curry with beef. I have thai basil growing in the garden for it right now. Should be ready for harvest in just a week or so. I'm also growing japanese eggplant again, but it will be a long while before it is producing.

Yum!

My main dishes are prik king, massaman curry, and Penang curry.

I bought all the fixings for New England Boiled Dinner yesterday. It will be going in the crock pot shortly.

Last evening I made a rustic meaty tomato sauce using lean ground chicken, Italian stewed tomatoes, garlic (lots of garlic), onion, celery, crimini mushrooms, herbs including tarragon and Italian seasoning, and some stock left over from a previous stew. This was in the Instant Pot. In a separate pot, I cooked some white quinoa in chicken stock, adding in some chopped bok choi and spring onions at the last minute. I served the sauce over the quinoa, and topped it with Italian parsley. It was delicious.

Tonight I will thicken up the remainder of the sauce using a cornstarch slurry. I will combine this with a bechamel sauce, some fresh pasta sheets, and Parmiggiana-Reggiano to make a lasagne, which I will cook “Pot in Pot” in my Instant Pot.

Last edited:
I cook lots of spicy hot Mexican food, New Mexico style, because all we can get around here is Tex-Mex. I have a source for homemade blue corn tortillas here, and so I make enchiladas, tacos, chalupas, pesole, heuvos rancheros and so forth. I should learn to make the Andouille Sausage and red beans, because it looks delicious!

A couple of years ago I got into the America Test Kitchen and Cooks Country magazines. I've been making lots of stuff from them. Last night was "Next-Level Chicken Piccata" with a side of roasted asparagus. Even my DW was impressed LOL!

Today I did a whole chicken in the crockpot. Rubbed it with a great spice mix before it went it. Smells heavenly! Will have some with roast broccoli for dinner.

20180311_162202.jpg

I made these. Just a Ghirardelli box mix(with additions), but they're fantastic.

Tonight I will thicken up the remainder of the sauce using a cornstarch slurry. I will combine this with a bechamel sauce, some fresh pasta sheets, and Parmiggiana-Reggiano to make a lasagne, which I will cook “Pot in Pot” in my Instant Pot.

I added some bok choi in the layers, spring onions on top, and Italian parsley to garnish. I used a 7” Pyrex bowl. This lasagne was delicious and the bowl is ideal for storing the leftovers in the fridge.

Attachments

• D2AEFBF8-932E-44A7-A330-C08476F5B8E0.jpg
    D2AEFBF8-932E-44A7-A330-C08476F5B8E0.jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 39
Dear wife requested meat loaf for dinner tonight. She was kind enough to tell me that I should use a Bobby Flay recipe she saw while browsing online. Yes, Ma'am - will do!

She didn't tell me what I must serve for a side dish though, so I got that goin' for me, which is nice...

;)

Corned Beef & cabbage for us lately, it's on sale ($1.99/lb). We usually stock up at that price and enjoy it the rest of the year.

_B

What is the function of the wood block? It looks so pretty against the backsplash tiles. Maybe that IS the function.

Made seafood paella. My favorite dish when done right. I’ve still got work to do to perfect mine.IMG_0600.JPG

Back
Top Bottom