Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I hung out at an online forum with a lot of very interesting people.
Cool! Which one?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2012, 05:57 PM   #22
Gone but not forgotten

Was nominated to the All American Swim Team for all 3 years in High School, and for 4 years in College... 1951 thru 1958. Was first in the country in my event, on the last year in H.S. and in 1956 in College. Never defeated in a dual meet. (Too poor to go to Olympics.... had to work summers to go back to school).

Not much else of real import... 20 years in scouts, SBA adviser, Captain US Army Infantry, too many organizations to tell.

Four sons, great marriage. Beginning 77th year of a happy life.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In high school, I was "Cub Reporter of the Year" two years in a row. That's very hard to do. ( OK, the second year was an honorary award). I also took geometry twice and French 1 twice. Mandatory not honorary.

I also played very small stakes poker with Steve Martin early on in his career (he was sitting right there with that arrow thing going through his head).
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Finished third in a junior golf tournament (I think there were three players competing in my flight.....)
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

In the different and dumb category: Felt something weird and looked down to see a spare pair of underwear creeping out of the bottom of the leg of my jeans. This actually happened to me twice, once at the airport, once at a store. Couldn't stop laughing.

Wore mismatched shoes (same brand, but slightly different styles and colors) to the office. Twice. Also did the same with gymshoes to the gym but only once.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
In the different and dumb category: Felt something weird and looked down to see a spare pair of underwear creeping out of the bottom of the leg of my jeans. This actually happened to me twice, once at the airport, once at a store. Couldn't stop laughing.

Wore mismatched shoes (same brand, but slightly different styles and colors) to the office. Twice. Also did the same with gymshoes to the gym but only once.
bestbumever?

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Started dating my DH when I was 15. He's still my favorite person on the planet. I think that is pretty cool.

I have our picture from prom in the kitchen.

SIS
ShortInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Felt something weird and looked down to see a spare pair of underwear creeping out of the bottom of the leg of my jeans.
In a similar incident, the Wing Commander (USAF Col) walked up to me in base operations one morning and asked, "Lieutenant REW, what't this?", then reached over to something protruding from inside the cuff of my nomex (nylon) flight suit and slowly pulled out a pair of my wife's panty hose.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
In a similar incident, the Wing Commander (USAF Col) walked up to me in base operations one morning and asked, "Lieutenant REW, what't this?", then reached over to something protruding from inside the cuff of my nomex (nylon) flight suit and slowly pulled out a pair of my wife's panty hose.
At least I was losing my own lingerie .

Dryer sheets really are my friend.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

I jumped from a plane also. Had breakfast with a president. Also saved DW's life- she had a blue faced choking fit and I heimliched her - and it worked. She sees it as more of a big deal than I do.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillNOVA View Post
Maybe something you did (of course not the bank you robbed and did not get caught) someplace you visited, something you were a part of or someone famous you knew or met. Just something you tell or will tell your grandchildren. I think mine is that I worked at the White House and have been in the residence and also in the "basement". I have flown completely around the world, of course that is no big deal for a pilot. My mother did not have a birth certificate, just a letter signed by her older sister that she was there went my mother was born. What was your 15 minutes of fame?
24 years of U.S. Navy sea stories. Most of them will be classified for the rest of my life. Many of the rest are not suitable for a family forum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I got charged by a black rhinoceros, while on foot in Kenya.
Aren't they always on foot?

Reminds me of the old Groucho Marx punchline: "How that elephant got into my pajamas, I'll never know!"

Quote:
"Sir, I thought that's why they call it a cockpit!"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Saved a few lives this summer by spotting a few teenagers being dumb and getting washed out to sea, then watched a few more folks jump in to extremely dangerous rip tides to save the first 2 and get washed out too.

I waded (as fast as I could) 1/4 mile back to the beach along a sand bar, tracked down someone with a cell phone, placed the 911 call and they brought out rescue forces by air, sea and land (including Marine/Cost Guard chopper that didn't get there till the 4 were safe).

Rescue crews pull 4 swimmers at North Topsail Beach | 9 On Your Side

After the excitement died down, I chatted with the emergency responders and they said the 4 most likely would have drowned if I didn't call it in quickly. I don't think anyone else realized the initial 2 were in serious trouble and had been sucked out to sea, and no one else knew (for sure) the other 2 had jumped in to save the first 2. The weirdest thing was how slow I had to wade back to shore due to tides and wind and how loooong it seemed to take, knowing these folks were suffering and had maybe already drowned (they were so far out, I couldn't see them the entire time I was wading back).

What a weird way to end our relaxing family vacation at the beach...

I have some other crazy interesting and different stuff from a long time ago but I'm not sure if the statute of limitations has expired yet...
Old 12-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortInSeattle View Post
Started dating my DH when I was 15.
You've got a year on us; we started at 16, been together since. Got married on an anniversary of the night we met.

What a strange trip it's been, and not nearly long enough.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:26 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Rescued a toddler who wandered onto a busy roadway while his daddy was distracted with painting shutters. Took awhile for my heart to beat at a slower pace after that one. Somewhere out there there's a now young adult hopefully living a happy life with an interesting story to tell....that is if daddy ever shared it with him.

Climbed into the steeple of my church just to see the view. (It wasn't easy to get up there!)

Raced around the church with the custodian on hover-round scooters. Fortunately the pastor hadn't arrived yet that morning.

Spent ten hot, exhausting days in Haiti (pre-earthquake), but was able to do a lot of good.

Spent ten days in Guatemala. Met the presidents wife. Took children from families who live in the city landfill on an outing to a children's museum.

Spent ten days in Honduras helping build a church and helping locals.

Tent camped with my daughter in bear, wolf, Coyote country.

Hiked to the top of a mountain.

Now that I am one day into retirement, I can't wait for more adventures!
RitaR551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:41 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Turned out better than if they were HIS wife's panty hose.......
Cessna5354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:15 AM   #36

Twenty-nine years of police work. I shoulda kept notes. The book would be interesting.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:37 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Over 4 million air miles with one airline. Five circumnavigations per year for 8 years in a row...some clockwise, some anti-clockwise (to prevent dizziness!)

Highlight: A few round trips on the Concorde.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #38
gone traveling

Threw 3 no hitters in one season in Little League, all outs where Ks.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:16 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Skinny dipped in the Bering sea, many times.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #40
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Took a three day ride in a dugout boat (had an outboard on it) from Mopti on Niger River to Timbuctou, in 2004. Now very off limits to westerners. Camped under unbelievably starry skies!
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote