Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

When I was in college I saw a girl in the cafeteria line and told my buddy that I was going to marry a girl like that some day. He knew her, introduced us, and year and a half later I did.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

My brother and I discovered a large limestone cavern many years ago. Google earth shows that it's entrance is now filled by a bank of washed in sand. It appears to remain undisturbed, even though there are scattered houses near it now. It's location is roughly 8 miles north of a forum member here.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
When I was in college I saw a girl in the cafeteria line and told my buddy that I was going to marry a girl like that some day. He knew her, introduced us, and year and a half later I did.
...and a year and a half later I did (marry a girl like that)? So, do you know what ever happened to the girl in the cafeteria line who was your prototype?
Old 12-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
...and a year and a half later I did (marry a girl like that)? So, do you know what ever happened to the girl in the cafeteria line who was your prototype?
The remarkable thing is that she is now one of the regular posters here. Small world, isn't it?
Old 12-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

The remarkable thing is that she is now one of the regular posters here. Small world, isn't it?
I heard she went to work for a dentist til she got fired.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
So, do you know what ever happened to the girl in the cafeteria line who was your prototype?
Yes.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I forgot a big one: I was, tangentially, witness to a murder. 4 killed, 3 wounded. I say tangentially because it happened in my neighborhood, and I heard every shot. Saw police response, but wasn't ever personally in the line of fire.
Reminded me - I was an eyewitness to an attempted shooting. Interesting story actually.

The couple living in the apartment above us had separated and she was seeing another man. Early one morning I heard her scream LOUDLY and I thought someone had broken in to her apartment so I ran out the back door towards the outside stairs. As I opened the back door I saw a shadow on the stairs and a shotgun and I froze in my tracks - a second later a muzzle flash (not in my direction). I turned tail, locked the door, hit the floor and grabbed the phone and called 911. To make a long story short, the assailant ended up being her husband who had come home and found her in bed with another guy, went out to his truck and got his shotgun, went back up to their apartment, she screamed, her lover took off down the back stairs and the husband followed and took a pot-shot at the guy as he was fleeing the scene.

I was later interviewed by the ADA and the husband's defense attorney and a key thing was whether or not the husband had shouldered the gun. I told them there was no way he could have since the floor would have been in the way - he shot from the hip. We actually went down to the scene and I had to show them how it happened. The state then reduced the charge against the husband.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I went into work early one morning.
I worked late one day.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Since I've been in the military I've gone scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef, crawled through the inside of the great pyramid of Giza, stared up at Michelangelo's painting on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, walked along the Great Wall of China, parachuted out of airplanes, rappelled out of helicopters, lived and worked on several different continents, and flown thousands of hours behind the controls of rotary and fixed wing aircraft in various countries around the world...not too bad for a poor kid from the country.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8er View Post
Since I've been in the military I've gone scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef, crawled through the inside of the great pyramid of Giza, stared up at Michelangelo's painting on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, walked along the Great Wall of China, parachuted out of airplanes, rappelled out of helicopters, lived and worked on several different continents, and flown thousands of hours behind the controls of rotary and fixed wing aircraft in various countries around the world...not too bad for a poor kid from the country.
"... all this and a paycheck too!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #71
gone traveling

What have you done in your life that is interesting or different?

Not a darn thing...
Old 12-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was chased by a moose in Yellowstone. I got close to take a pic of him and he started after me - it was terrifying! What saved me were trees that were growing close together. His antlers would not fit through easily and I got away/he lost interest. Now I use a telephoto lens......
Old 12-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #73
Dryer sheet wannabe

In 1974 I started going on a fishing trip to Sioux Lookout, Ontario - there was a core group of 6 guys. Although there have been some additions and some guys missing a year here and there (i.e. birth of a child), the same group of guys has gone every year through 2012 except for one year missed.

The countryside and fish pictures still look the same, but the guys in the group do NOT.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
"... all this and a paycheck too!"
Quite a deal, indeed! Of course, there's also the matter of getting shot at multiple times during repeated deployments to some pretty crappy parts of the world...but the sightseeing has definitely been good!
Old 12-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #75

As a 17 year old I took a Greyhound bus from Philadelphia to Mexico City and lived with a Mexican family for two months.

I helped manage the Hubble Space Telescope Flight Systems & Servicing Project as the financial manager, leading up to the 2nd and 3rd servicing missions.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
I was chased by a moose in Yellowstone. I got close to take a pic of him and he started after me - it was terrifying!
I thought I was the only one dumb enough to do stuff like that.......I once chased a troop of baboons in Senegal, West Africa, in an attempt to get some good pics........as is their wont when being 'pursued' the males lag behind, climb small trees and shake the branches to offer the illusion of size.

Luckily for me realization set in in time and I ceased the chase......( sometime later, I read a report about baboons cornering a leopard and tearing it to pieces).

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used to carry out groceries for ex-President Truman and his wife Bess from the grocery store I worked at during high school. He was a bit gruff, lol. When he died, the high school where I attended (Truman High School) was used as a staging point for many of the army guard troops that were part of the funeral procession. Since he died during the Christmas holidays (1972), we didn't miss any school. I was standing in the front row of the crowd at the entrance to the Truman Library when a limo carrying several former presidents arrived for the ceremony.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #78

I've spent over 3000 nights at Hilton Hotels - that's 10 years of my life I won't get back. Some great trips and stories but I'm not sure the statute of limitations has run out on some incidents, so I'll save it for the book.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #79

Ran a 5K race (certified) on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier (USS Carl Vinson) in the middle of the Indian Ocean back in the 80's. As I recall they had a picnic and cold beers for us afterwards. Nice break after being at sea for 30+ days.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #80

Personal:
Finished the MR340 twice - once as a solo racer, once as a tandem (although I provided about 95% of the power). As an added layer of difficulty, I don't train for the race - I simply show up at the starting line, hop in the kayak, and go.

Had more than 15 minutes of fame when my ex-fiance showed her true self and ran to the media in 2003 to lie and distort facts of our planned wedding in order to get attention after our wedding was permanently canceled when I saw her true side postponed. Even 8 years later, she still surfaces on any media outlet that will give her the attention she craves. It was an expensive lesson, but avoiding ending up married to her was beyond priceless!

Professional:
At the ripe young age of 27, began a 2 year stint as the project manager and superintendent for the entire plumbing system for a professional sports ballpark. It was an amazing learning experience, but a bit of depression mixed with the insane stress and complete lack of emotional support from my father (my boss) nearly cost me my life. The silver lining - and only aspect that kept me from walking out the door and never returning - was that it was financially rewarding to give me a major boost towards FI that hopefully won't be more than about 12 years away.