Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #81
Confused about dryer sheets

I've raced the Hawaii Ironman Triathlon World Championship 8 times. Traveled to some pretty sweet places for training and racing including the Pyrenees. Although all the years of hard work have taken their toll on my body, I have no regrets. Still love to train just not at that level.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

A mention by Imoldernu of a website showing ads and articles from old magazines reminded me of something different that happened to me - my family actually - in the past.

I was stationed in Wichita, KS in the mid 70's and owned a house across the street from a guy who worked in marketing for the Coleman Co, the makers of camping equipment. Our families and kids were about the same age and we became close friends. One Sunday afternoon he came over to ask a favor. It seems he'd procrastinated on taking some promotional photos of a new utility trailer Coleman was introducing. He begged for our help so DW, our four year old daughter and I took off with him to a nearby lake.

We set up a campsite and took a few photos. They later appeared in a number of promotional articles and Coleman advertisements, including the one below from the August 1975 issue of Popular Science Magazine: Popular Science - Google Books
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coleman camper.JPG (133.4 KB, 43 views)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

Represented my company in Toronto, CA for the Hockey Hall of Fame induction ceremony in 2001- the Grand Hall at the HOF was sponsored by MCI Worldcom that year. Met dozens of the players I had watched growing up including Wayne Gretzky. I was given a private tour of the HOF including the storage rooms where items not on display were held. Saw freezers full of jerseys, piles of sticks from every era, and shelves of pucks, trophies and assorted memorabilia, each significant for some reason. I was told to reach in to a pile of goalie sticks to see what I came up with, it ended up being the stick that Ron Hextall used to score a goal in an NHL game. He was the first goalie to actually shoot the puck in to the net, another goalie had been awarded a goal previously when he was the last player to touch the puck before an own goal.

Enjoyed dinner at a table with Al Arbour, Pat Quinn, and Harry Sinden. They spent the night telling stories about the hockey series that Canada played against the USSR during the Cold War. From their stories, it was as nasty and rough as any series ever played, great fun!

This pope wasn't at the event.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #84

I was a horse and carriage driver in Central Park for a year when I was 18. I lived upstate, next door to the guy who owned half of the carriages in the park, was friends with his son, and got the job. Had someone successfully propose in my carriage. That was nice.

Once smoked marijuana with a NYC cop in uniform with gun an' everything in a closed carriage.

Hey, it was the '70s!

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

Met George Bush Sr.
Rode in VP's limo
Been on Air Force 2
Been all over the world traveling; lots of military traveling
Been to Area 51
Old 01-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa View Post
met george bush sr.
Rode in vp's limo
been on air force 2
been all over the world traveling; lots of military traveling
been to area 51
wow!!! ;d

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:22 PM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I was a horse and carriage driver in Central Park for a year when I was 18. I lived upstate, next door to the guy who owned half of the carriages in the park, was friends with his son, and got the job. Had someone successfully propose in my carriage. That was nice.

Once smoked marijuana with a NYC cop in uniform with gun an' everything in a closed carriage.

Hey, it was the '70s!

Mike D.
Cool! But did you have your attorney with you?

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

I was a low-rent pyromaniac as a youngster and nearly burnt the family house down. Me and a friend let a fire go too far in the woods and got a good size blaze going and had to call the fire department. Another 20 minutes and it would have been real trouble.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #89

A few weeks after turning 18 (in 1975) a friend and I bought a 2 month BusAmeri Pass from Greyhound and took off traveling around the US. It doesn't sound like much, but it had a big impact on my life and I am really glad I did it.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #90

I mastered the back flip and front flip on snow skis (in the late 1970's). Now if I could only find the 8mm footage so I can show my kids ....
Old 01-04-2013, 06:10 AM   #91

I have been fortunate to have a full life with many wonderful memories of things that are interesting and things of which I am proud. What is most special, however, is that I went to and finished college and grad school and in addition to other careers taught for 20 years as a college professor. This is after my high school guidance counselor told me that even if I worked my butt off I would still be lucky to finish a year or two of community college assuming any would take me.

Medical issues aside it's been a great ride so far.

Cheers!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Not something to be proud of.... LOL

I was a bit of a party girl when I was young... I used to go to a private club in London called Tramps in the early 90's, it is where many of the rich and famous who lived or visited London ended up before the night was over. They had a couple of communal tables with about a dozen seats and you never knew who you might be sitting across from from one night to the next. Oh, the stories I could tell of that place!!

Anyway, one memorable night I sat across the table from "the donald" and he gave me a lecture on my drinking, meanwhile my BF was hitting on the donalds pregant wife to be. I got mad and danced with a rock star with spiky hair who invited me back to his place. I have always denied going even though my BF couldn't find me when he finished flirting with the southern girl later that evening... and ended up going home alone.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:19 AM   #93

I just thought of something I did beginning in the late 70s which meant a lot to me. I had recently been assigned to create a new lab at Megacorp and I had to teach myself most of the ins-and-outs through my own studies of the subject. There was no such in-house lab at the time. A good friend of mine in the same field began teaching the subject at the local university after talking a related department into offering degrees.

It seemed worthwhile to get my masters in the subject, so I went into the first class. My friend (already an MS in field) became too ill to teach and the dept. asked me to finish teaching the semester ($50 a lecture). I was delighted. My friend moved on and the dept. hired a professor to continue and to build a dual level program. I was asked to design and teach the related lab course for graduates/undergraduates. It was a l*bor of love (a good thing since they payed for cr@p - essentially a 1/2 TA position). It was a bit of a bizarre situation because I was designing the lab course as I was taking it for credit and teaching it (giving tests, homework, grading lab reports, etc.). Oddly enough, I got an A in the course. I went on to get my MS and continued to teach the lab part time for many years. Last I heard, the school had grown to 4 profs. I used to get compliments from old students who went into the lab part of the profession. It was most gratifying. DW only threatened divorce half a dozen times (full time Megacorp j*b on top of teaching 1/2 time).

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote