Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What have you done in your life that is interesting or different?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

What have you done in your life that is interesting or different?

Maybe something you did (of course not the bank you robbed and did not get caught) someplace you visited, something you were a part of or someone famous you knew or met. Just something you tell or will tell your grandchildren. I think mine is that I worked at the White House and have been in the residence and also in the "basement". I have flown completely around the world, of course that is no big deal for a pilot. My mother did not have a birth certificate, just a letter signed by her older sister that she was there went my mother was born. What was your 15 minutes of fame?
BillNOVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Does 1200 parachute jumps count ? First jump in July 1970 and last jump some time in the summer of 1980. Stopped logging jumps in 1976 (kinda wish I had logged all of them).
Old 12-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm...well, I've met a few famous music artists and one actor. Took a hot air balloon ride, chased a burglar and caught him, was a volunteer cop (saw the best and worst of humanity).

...and entertainment when I was a kid involved digging in the dirt and riding my bicycle. No computers were involved.

I figger the only one my grandkids (if I had any) would be shocked by would be the no computer story.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI
Hmmm...well, I've met a few famous music artists and one actor. Took a hot air balloon ride, chased a burglar and caught him, was a volunteer cop (saw the best and worst of humanity).

...and entertainment when I was a kid involved digging in the dirt and riding my bicycle. No computers were involved.

I figger the only one my grandkids (if I had any) would be shocked by would be the no computer story.
Your burglar story reminds me.. My friend had his car stolen from my house. So we went looking for it and found it being driven in a neighboring town. We cut him off and he left the car running in the street and took off running. My friend wanted a piece of him so he went chasing him down an embankment and into and out of a restaurant. The boy then locked himself into a strangers car in a parking lot. Diners in restaurant called cops thinking my friend was the problem. It all got resolved when cops came as that kid wasn't getting out of that car because he knew he was going to get a beat down. Both of them were covered in mud as they fell down the embankment during the chase.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #5

I sang the Mozart Requiem (as part of a large choir) in Carnegie Hall. Happened 25 years ago and I still remember it well.

Also hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back up again - and I was never very athletic. Grandkids will be most surprised that I did it with DH because they will never know him as an avid hiker and outdoorsman, only as their granddad who can't walk due to MS.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have traveled to the other side of the world and back twice. Once in a submarine and once in a jet plane.
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I got charged by a black rhinoceros, while on foot in Kenya.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I got charged by a black rhinoceros, while on foot in Kenya.
How much was the bill?
Old 12-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
How much was the bill?
Rimshot!
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

and what happened with the black Rhino?
BillNOVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I shook the hand that shook the hands of two presidents.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I shook the hand that shook the hands of two presidents.
Me too but it was over 30 years ago. Visited the White House Oval Office.
jim747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #13

I have helped thousands of patients in third world countries. Setting up three clinics, teaching children how to protect themselves against all forms of abuse for example have been by far the biggest achievement of my life. See my signature line.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arky View Post
Does 1200 parachute jumps count ? First jump in July 1970 and last jump some time in the summer of 1980. Stopped logging jumps in 1976 (kinda wish I had logged all of them).
Wow.....one of 'our' guys in Saudi, (circa mid 1980s), went back to Canada for an R&R, and did 40 jumps on his 40th birthday, thanks to the help of pilots and people repacking 'chutes for him......apparently as soon as he hit the ground there was another 'chute/plane waiting to go.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I can't talk about it in public, but it will be something to tell my kids and grandkids about if they are students of economic/financial history.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #16

Lived on an Amish farm for 6 weeks, helping out.
DW and I travelled around North America in a car for a year. With our dog. And 18' canoe strapped to the top of the Dodge Omni 024.

Not really a big deal. Interesting how some people have trouble believing that you did even the most simple things.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #17

I hung out at an online forum with a lot of very interesting people.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:18 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Can't tell about that bank & me, I do not know for the life of me why I would jump out a perfectly good flying airplane. Have done engineering work around the world, but

The best days I have to reflect on are those helping & assisting those who can't. I have done this in many ways, more to come. Ever since I finished playing sports I casually coached younger players, But the assistance since has taken to the sick, handicapped, less fortunate.

BTW, parachuting is on my bucket list. ALSO I sat next to a President's grandson, former Gov, Big guy who elbowed me all game in the seats !!
Cessna5354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #19

Have jumped fixed wing, rotary wing as well as a C-141 jet aircraft, scuba dove 185' off of Andros island in the Bahamas, have jumped and dove both day and night. Have been on TV, played guitar in front off over 100 people just this past summer. I have rode my motorcycle over 20K miles in the past four years up and down the east coast to include the Dragon as well as Key West and the Bourbon Trail not to mention the hot springs in Arkansas. Played more golf rounds than I care to admit and have had two hole in ones, both with witnesses. But the best accomplishment by far is having a son and two beautiful grandchildren. I have lived a blessed and wonderful life, 61 and going on 30.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #20

Here are a few things interesting or different about me:
Almost 10 years as a professional Boy Scout.

Still drive my first car-got it in 1984. Currently getting painted.

Built my own stereo amps and speakers. System looks a lot like this (my speakers are yellow):

Re-built (and use) a hundred year old phone. Looks like this, but works on a modern line. Receives only-no dialer!

President of local homeless shelter. Our logo and main shelter:

Brew my own beer: