Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:29 PM   #2101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

MB--that book is waiting at the library for me! Been on the wait list for a while.

I read an old post apocalyptic novel today, one I'd never even heard of before, by Neville Shute called On the Beach. Actually quite good, considering I think it was written in 1957. Found it in pdf form online so read it at work...shhhh!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2015, 08:41 PM   #2102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
MB--that book is waiting at the library for me! Been on the wait list for a while.

I read an old post apocalyptic novel today, one I'd never even heard of before, by Neville Shute called On the Beach. Actually quite good, considering I think it was written in 1957. Found it in pdf form online so read it at work...shhhh!
You young whippersnapper! A classic movie from 1959:

Old 05-27-2015, 09:17 PM   #2103
Dryer sheet aficionado

DW and I have a young son, a college senior next year, and am building a list of beginning investing financial books for him. I'm collecting ideas and have a little time get this together... but why not start this project now.

"Millionaire Teacher" is a great beginning investor book. I loved it. It's on the list.

What other ideas would you have for a new investor like our son?

Thanks.
What have you read recently?
Old 05-27-2015, 09:19 PM   #2104
Give me a forum ...

What have you read recently?

Dang, and IIRC, wahoo, you are the one who suggested that other terribly depressing movie about life after the bomb...what was it called again? With the kids watching tv and the mushroom cloud through the picture window. It was grim.
Who knew there was such a vast repository of such things?

Old 05-27-2015, 09:25 PM   #2105
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Dang, and IIRC, wahoo, you are the one who suggested that other terribly depressing movie about life after the bomb...what was it called again?
Testament

Quote:
Who knew there was such a vast repository of such things?
Those of us who lived through (and fought in) the Cold War.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:41 PM   #2106
Confused about dryer sheets

A nice slice of a different era of Americana -- On the Road by Jack Kerouac

Loved this vagabond journey through jazz, ether and Mexico. I'm a music freak -- I found myself playing Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited quite a few times along the way.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:44 AM   #2107
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

National Geographic Magazine. I almost threw these out during some decluttering. I have the time to read them now. I can now relax enough to actually follow the stories, no voice in the back of my head saying "You need to be accomplishing something!".
Old 05-28-2015, 08:35 AM   #2108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Testament

Those of us who lived through (and fought in) the Cold War.
I remember now...the one you suggested was called The Day After.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:55 AM   #2109

Just about finished Michael Lewis' 'Flash Boys'. A bit depressing, and sadly, not surprising.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:09 AM   #2110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
one I'd never even heard of before, by Neville Shute called On the Beach.
Another sign that one is getting old, (as if another was needed); things you grew up with have become medieval.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 05-28-2015, 02:54 PM   #2111

Just finished 'The Light Between Oceans' by M.L. Stedman. Found it a very good read, set in Australia post WWI. Some very interesting moral dilemmas that will get you thinking and wondering 'what would I have done'.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:40 PM   #2112
Gone but not forgotten

I just finished "Girl on the train " by Paula Hawkins . It was better than I was expecting since it got mixed reviews .
Old 05-28-2015, 07:25 PM   #2113
Recycles dryer sheets

"What Stands in a Storm" by Kim Cross. A non-fiction account of the tornado superstorm in Alabama in April 2011. It was a heart-rending account of the lives lost and those who survived. Good scientific background of tornados and how they form.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:31 PM   #2114
Give me a forum ...

If you liked Andy Weir's, The Martian, you will like Seveneves, by Neal Stephenson. Beginning in a vaguely near current future, it speculates on the world's response to a planet busting disaster. An "agent," maybe a mini black hole, passes through the moon splitting it into several pieces which soon begin colliding and splitting again, and again, eventually forming a hard rain of rocks that turn the surface of the earth into an inferno. We have two years to prepare. Thus begins a global effort to supply and people an outpost based on the International Space Station in which our progeny will live out the several millenium until the earth cools. Some suspension of disbelief is required but, like the Martian, the novel includes lots of engineering and hardish science that makes it a great read.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #2115
Give me a forum ...

http://www.amazon.com/Ordinary-Heroe.../dp/0446584134

Just finished this one, set in WWII Europe, by Scott Turow - thoroughly enjoyed it.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #2116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
If you liked Andy Weir's, The Martian, you will like Seveneves, by Neal Stephenson. Beginning in a vaguely near current future, it speculates on the world's response to a planet busting disaster. An "agent," maybe a mini black hole, passes through the moon splitting it into several pieces which soon begin colliding and splitting again, and again, eventually forming a hard rain of rocks that turn the surface of the earth into an inferno. We have two years to prepare. Thus begins a global effort to supply and people an outpost based on the International Space Station in which our progeny will live out the several millenium until the earth cools. Some suspension of disbelief is required but, like the Martian, the novel includes lots of engineering and hardish science that makes it a great read.
The Martian was the last book I read. Will keep the above in mind.

Have the 'The Boys in The Boat' about the University of Washington Olympic rowing team circa 1936 but I haven't managed to start it yet. Wife started 'Bold Spirit' about the Norwegian(not a widow ) walking from Spokane across America 1896 to win $10,000 and save the family farm.

heh heh heh -
Old 07-12-2015, 06:59 AM   #2117
Give me a forum ...

Currently reading A Treacherous Paradise by Henning Mankell:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/21/bo...g-mankell.html

(Already learned some things I wasn't aware of, (which isn't difficult if you don't know too much to begin with), including a synopsized explanation of the nautical term 'starboard'.)

Old 07-12-2015, 07:22 AM   #2118

The first chapter of Harper Lee's new novel which was released this last week. I found it completely underwhelming, as rumors have been all along.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:37 AM   #2119

Just finished Wilson by A. Scott Berg. The author gives a nice account of the president's personal life, his rise to political power and the peculiar governance of his administration after he suffered his stroke. Also interesting was Wilson's return to popularity after the quality of his successor became apparent. Berg quotes Alice Roosevelt Longworth after Warren Harding unconsciously snubbed the ailing Wilson at Harding's inauguration: "Harding was not a bad man," she said. "He was just a slob."
Old 07-12-2015, 09:55 AM   #2120
Recycles dryer sheets

Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain, by John J. Ratey

Short version, aerobic exercise, at the right heart rate and complexity of movement helps generate conditions for improved brain activity, which if followed by a learning session can not only aid memory be (reportedly) physically improve the brain.

The author has his own website
Welcome to John Ratey M.D. Cambridge, MA

Ted Talk - A 10 minute or so talk by the author, presented at the Google headquarters, on the benefit to the brain of exercise.

It appears the entire book is online read out loud.

Audiobook part 1

Audiobook part 2
Closed Thread