Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-12-2015, 10:56 AM   #2121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happily Retired View Post
DW and I have a young son, a college senior next year, and am building a list of beginning investing financial books for him. I'm collecting ideas and have a little time get this together... but why not start this project now.

"Millionaire Teacher" is a great beginning investor book. I loved it. It's on the list.

What other ideas would you have for a new investor like our son?

Thanks.
I like "The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing".

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #2122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just finished Sarum: Sarum: The Novel of England: Edward Rutherfurd: 9780449000724: Amazon.com: Books
Quote:
This sprawling novel follows the fortunes and losses of five families from the Stone Age through the present time. Each of the families can be identified through genetic characteristics handed down through the agesnot simply physical characteristics, but attitudes and morals, too. There is plenty of action to keep readers motivated to finish the book. Rutherford has a style and energy all his own that should appeal to young readers of historical fiction.
Basically a history of England told in a Michener style of interconnected short stories that move through the centuries. We are going to be in Bath, England this summer hence my motivation to read this book.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #2123

Interesting about Ratey and his new book. Will have to check that out. I know him mostly from his excellent work in ADHD research, so this direction makes sense.

Marita, I, too was not bowled over by the first chapter, but the reviews that were released of the whole book seem to have a universally scandalized tone! Interesting to see how it plays out when the full book is released.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 03:30 PM   #2124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Interesting about Ratey and his new book. Will have to check that out. I know him mostly from his excellent work in ADHD research, so this direction makes sense.
If you're referring to his book Spark it's not all that new, released in 2008 I believe.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #2125

Ah, then, new to me!

What have you read recently?
Old 07-13-2015, 11:20 PM   #2126
Full time employment: Posting here.

What have you read recently?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IHC...ds=John+Scalzi

Lock-in by John Scalzi.

Good sci/fi novel. Reminds me a little bit of the Asimov robot novels.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-14-2015, 06:05 AM   #2127
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
Lock-in by John Scalzi.

Good sci/fi novel. Reminds me a little bit of the Asimov robot novels.

Thanks. Reserved the ebook at the library.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:16 AM   #2128

Drawing the Line : How Mason and Dixon Surveyed the Most Famous Border in America: Edwin Danson: 9780471385028: Amazon.com: Books

I need to finish this book before I begin exploring the Mason Dixon line
Old 07-14-2015, 09:02 AM   #2129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Busman's holiday?

-ERD50
Old 07-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #2130
Recycles dryer sheets

I just finished

The Riddle of the Labyrinth: The Quest to Crack an Ancient Code
by Margalit Fox

Really interesting! I'd been reading too much fiction lately so decided to read a few non-fiction books.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:57 PM   #2131
Recycles dryer sheets

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr is a superb novel and deserving of the Pulitzer Prize for fiction which it won this year.

So, Anyway is a memoir by John Cleese. It covers his childhood up to the beginning of Monty Python's Flying Circus. I found the book very enjoyable, but potential readers should be aware that 98% of the book is about his years prior to Monty Python. Fawlty Towers came later and is not part of this book, though we learn about his marriage to Connie Booth.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:31 PM   #2132

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Busman's holiday?

-ERD50

Somewhat - exploring the M-D line will fall behind exploring Gettsyburg and the Appalachian Trail.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-21-2015, 02:58 PM   #2133
Recycles dryer sheets

"Midnight in Siberia" by David Greene. I absolutely loved it and would highly recommend.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:26 PM   #2134
Confused about dryer sheets

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

Could not put it down! I'm hoping it will be made into a movie.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:53 PM   #2135
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm finishing up "The Millionaire Next Store" right now. It's turned out not to be what I expected, but it's a quick read that's worth the few hours.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:14 AM   #2136
Give me a forum ...

The Necessary Death of Lewis Winter, by Malcolm Mackay is a sort of Scottish noire novel set in Glasgow. The first in a trilogy, it follows the actions of a hit man who wants to remain independent but is being dragged into alignment with an ascendant gang. Good read.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:39 AM   #2137
Recycles dryer sheets

The Wright Brothers by David McCullough. A quick read from McCullough, whose biographies of John Adams and Truman were more on the monumental side. This work focuses on the Wrights as they embarked upon their mission to achieve powered flight and then strove to show their achievement to a skeptical world. It's interesting to discover how the Wrights' achievements paired their inventive skills on building their flyer with developing their individual talents as pilots. They were flying dozens of miles under total control while others were struggling to get off the ground.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:32 PM   #2138
Full time employment: Posting here.

Reread Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell after watching the excellent recent BBC adapation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonath...%26_Mr_Norrell
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is the 2004 debut novel of British writer Susanna Clarke. An alternative history set in 19th-century England around the time of the Napoleonic Wars, it is based on the premise that magic once existed in England and has returned with two men: Gilbert Norrell and Jonathan Strange.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:48 PM   #2139

I did a book report on this one for the boss, and it is just excellent. A great gift for the folks raising your grandkids, or for friends with kids, or even yourself.

Ron Leiber The Opposite of Spoiled: raising Kids Who are Grounded, Generous, and Smart about Money

Ron Leiber is a personal finance columnist who has worked for the NY Times and the WSJ. I like that he addresses the big elephant in the room for more affluent parents, the dreaded "are we rich?" question, and how to frame the discussion about money and values.

Lieber has practical advice for lots of teachable moments but his most interesting commentary is on the awkward but important questions children have about wealth, within the family and compared to their peers and others. From his chapter subtitled “Instilling gratitude, grace, and perspective in our sons and daughters” comes this:

“Many of us have enough to give our kids everything they need and much of what they want. And even if we have less than many people we know in our communities, we have more than most in our country and in our world. We know this, but our kids probably don’t quite yet. So how do we make them aware of just how good they have it, without preaching to them or making them pity others who have less?”

I quite liked it, from start to finish and would recommend it.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Opposite-S.../dp/0062247018

Old 07-29-2015, 02:17 PM   #2140

"The Girl on the Train" by Paula Hawkins. I read mostly technical books but I do love a good murder mystery. Friend recommended this book. It's too "Hitchcock" for me. Didn't like the writing style, too much going back and forth in time.