What have you read recently? 2009 -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started reading Artemis by Andy Weir over the weekend.

Whoever told me about it said it was nowhere near as good as The Martian, so I had low expectations. I have been pleasantly surprised though and am enjoying it.
Finished reading Artemis the other day. I'd have to rate this average to below average.

As mentioned, I had low expectations, but was initially pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately, however, I thought the story "ran out of gas" in the second half and it was a challenge to stick with it until the end. :(

American Kingpin, by Nick Bilton, is excellent. This is the true story about the hunt for the guy who built The Silk Road, the dark net drug emporium. The story is bizarre, including fake torture, real hits, corrupt Secret Service and DEA agents, nerds, cops, and criminals. The US government seized $150M in bitcoin from Silk Road in 2013. If they still have them they are worth $billions.

Finished reading Artemis the other day. I'd have to rate this average to below average.

As mentioned, I had low expectations, but was initially pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately, however, I thought the story "ran out of gas" in the second half and it was a challenge to stick with it until the end. :(
Yep, my experience as well.

Reading 'Mayflower' right now. Interesting so far.
https://www.amazon.com/Mayflower-Story-Courage-Community-War/dp/0143111973

Next up is Killers of the Flower Moon.
https://www.amazon.com/Killers-Flower-Moon-Osage-Murders/dp/0385534248

I'm a road biker, so Travels With Surly sounds entertaining. Thanks fidler.

Yeah, just finished Artemis too. It would have been fine for anybody else. The Martian is going to be hard to match/beat.

Midnight Line - Lee Child.

Jack Reacher strikes again - :)

I had rejected Lee Child after a Reacher book that was so unrealistic, but I gave him another chance, and now I just finished my seventh of his. Just finished The Hard Way. I gave No Middle Name, Make Me, and One Shot all five stars on GoodReads.

In this case I am posting what I haven't read recently. I have been seeing references to Teresa Ghillarducci's book, Rescuing Retirement, recently and was curious about what it proposed. This Bloomberg article summarizes the idea. It is basically a private funded addon to Social Security, funded at 3% (up to $250K in salary) - half employer and half employee. At retirement employees would get an annuity. There are a few wrinkles (read the article) including that 401Ks would be eliminated.

"Little fires everywhere " by Celeste NG .Great book ! Could not put it down ! I also read "Woman in the Window " by AJ Finn . Good Book !

Last edited:
Reading Trackers by Deon Meyer:

Deon Meyer's Trackers

(Translated version, since my Afrikaans is no better than my Norwegian.)

Currently reading the Diary of John Quincy Adams in two volumes. What I find most interesting is the way people conducted their lives back then on a day-today basis. How they worked, lived and socialized. I am a big fan of social history.

I just started reading "I'll have what she's having," a book by Erin Carlson about the late Nora Ephron, who played a big role in 3 huge romantic comedies ("When Harry Met Sally," Sleepless in Seattle," and "You've Got Mail"). While I am more interested in any backstory behind those 3 very entertaining movies, so far the book has been more a bio about Ephron including her first 2 (of 3) marriages, including one to Washington Post writer Carl Bernstein. The table of contents suggests I won't be disappointed for much longer.

^ ^ ^
Interesting, scrabbler1: I just finished reading Nora Ephron's novel "Heartburn". It's basically about relationships (including marriages and break-ups of marriages and break-ups of relationships and cooking). Pleasantly amusing from beginning to end, but not laugh-out-loud (which was just fine). I enjoyed the book.

Just finished reading All the President's Men, by Bernstein and Woodward. A very detailed timeline of the events of those days.
Now reading a sort of followup titled The Secret Man, by Woodward.

Just started Havana Blue by Leonardo Padura, a Cuban writer whose protagonist is a police lieutenant in Havana.

Originally written in Spanish, although the translator is quite evidently British, and British colloquialisms abound, there are some small insights into the Cuban mindset, (as observed by Senor Padura)......so far it's not bad, (if it's anywhere near as entertaining as the works of Arturo Pérez-Reverte I'll be more than happy), and it would appear Padura has numerous other published works which I'll then attempt to acquire.

https://www.bitterlemonpress.com/products/havana-blue

Just finished Boys in the Boat about the UofW PNW rowing team making it to the Olympics in Berlin in 1936. Heavy going at times but great insights into life in the early 20th century.

Also finished Cross Justice by James Patterson, a rare life story of Alex Cross. I used this a relief from slogging through Boys.

Starting Origins by Dan Brown.

I am in the middle of reading Bumfuzzle: Just Out Looking For Pirates.
I was intrigued by this book and got it. I got annoyed by the author's smarmy attitude after a while and dropped it.

I just finished 'One Man's Wilderness' by Sam Keith and really liked it.

I started 'Team of Rivals' by Doris Kearns Goodwin when a copy of 'Grant' by Ron Chernow became available at my library and so I'm reading both. So far, they are both excellent.

Also finished Cross Justice by James Patterson, a rare life story of Alex Cross. I used this a relief from slogging through Boys.

For James Patterson books people should list the "and" name, since he doesn't write his own books any more. Although maybe he still writes the Alex Cross books, since they were what got him started.

Recently read a couple different Joseph Finder books. I enjoyed them both. Reminded me of Harlan Coben.

Haven't started reading it yet, but lucky enough to pick up a copy of The Nautical Chart by Arturo Pérez-Reverte:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2002/may/19/fiction.features1

(I'd take it on our next jaunt, six weeks today, but since we're traveling very light, (a small backpack each), it'll just be e-readers this time around.)

I just finished "Mississippi Blood " By Greg Isles .It is part of a trilogy which starts with "Natchez Burning ". Great book !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom