Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-28-2016, 08:55 PM   #2241
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm on page 180 of 500 page non-fiction book, "George Washington's War." Granted I have a general interest in history, but so far I find this book absolutely captivating.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2016, 09:00 PM   #2242
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

^^ urn2bfree, your fortitude is to be commended, but perhaps not emulated - congratulations for making it through......relatively unscathed, I hope.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 01:34 PM   #2243
Dryer sheet aficionado

The Introvert Entrepreneur by Beth Buelow. Another book for us long suffering introverts, this one about leveraging your introvert strengths and managing your weaknesses in the entrepreneurial world.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:42 PM   #2244
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Things to Make and Do in the Fourth Dimension: A Mathematician's Journey Through Narcissistic Numbers, Optimal Dating Algorithms, at Least Two Kinds of Infinity, and More

Yes, it's a math book. Or "maths" for our UK members. And I'm not a mathematician by any stretch of the imagination.

Still, I enjoyed my library copy so much that I might even buy an actual copy for myself.

From the Amazon description:
Quote:
Parker sets out to convince his readers to revisit the very math that put them off the subject as fourteen-year-olds. Starting with the foundations of math familiar from school (numbers, geometry, and algebra), he reveals how it is possible to climb all the way up to the topology and to four-dimensional shapes, and from there to infinity―and slightly beyond.
Both playful and sophisticated, Things to Make and Do in the Fourth Dimension is filled with captivating games and puzzles, a buffet of optional hands-on activities that entices us to take pleasure in math that is normally only available to those studying at a university level.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:24 AM   #2245
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'm half way through "The Big Retirement Risk" by Erin Botsford. The risk she speaks of is running out of money in retirement. She does not like SWR approaches, instead favoring guaranteed income to cover essential expenses, more risky assets for play money (vacations, boats, etc.).
Old 02-04-2016, 11:58 AM   #2246

Billion Dollar Spy.

Hoffman. Good read.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:17 PM   #2247

The Revenent, by Michael Punke. Based on a true story, it tells of Hugh Glass, an American Frontiersman, and his battle to survive after being mauled by a grizzly bear and left for dead by his companions. The film was just nominated for a bunch of awards. I saw and enjoyed it, but the book is better.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:48 PM   #2248
Recycles dryer sheets

I just bought 'Your Money or Your Life' - although I've read reviews that divulge the essence of the book, it's still good to read it first hand. I choose Life
Old 02-15-2016, 03:01 PM   #2249
Give me a forum ...

The Guest Room, by Chris Bohjalian is excellent. A late 30s investment banker hosts a bachelor party for his brother and everything goes wrong when the "strippers" turn out to be sex slaves accompanied by Russian gangsters. As one review said the book, "couples the urgency of a compulsively readable crime thriller with a quiet meditation on the meaning of family."
Old 02-17-2016, 05:34 PM   #2250

I am reading "Airport," by Arthur Hailey. The book, written in the late 1960s, was, as you probably know, turned into a movie in 1970 starring Dean Martin, Burt Lancaster, Jacqueline Bisset, George Kennedy, and Helen Hayes. Great cast.

Only about halfway through the book, I have noticed plot lines in the book which were not in the movie. It has been a good read so far.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #2251
Recycles dryer sheets

Upon recommendation from members here:
How to Make Your Money Last: The Indispensable Retirement Guide by Jane Bryant Quinn
Now have DH reading it.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:07 AM   #2252

Al Macy's latest

http://www.amazon.com/Yesterdays-Thi...sap_bc?ie=UTF8

Is pretty good.

If you Like John scalzi's humorous sci-fi like "red-shirts" or "fuzzy nation", chances are you'll enjoy "Yesterday's thief"

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-09-2016, 07:27 PM   #2253
Give me a forum ...

I read Zoo Station by David Downing. It is an interesting depiction of pre-WW2 Germany. First in a series.

Quote:
As the pivotal year 1939 begins, John Russell, a British expatriate, is eking out an existence in Berlin as a freelance journalist. He is trying to keep his head down and play it safe so he can stay in Nazi Germany to be near his young son and his girlfriend--a glamorous yet cynical German movie actress. One afternoon, a Soviet agent approaches him with a business proposal for Russell to write articles putting a positive slant on Germany and to be published in Pravda--ostensibly to prepare the Soviets for a nonaggression pact with Hitler. But soon, both the Nazis and the British become interested in Russell's new business arrangement, and he quickly falls under their hardened scrutiny. After the alleged suicide of a fellow journalist, Russell finds himself in possession of perilous secrets that will tear his peaceful, safe little life apart.
Amazon.com: Zoo Station (A John Russell WWII Spy Thriller) (9781616953485): David Downing: Books
Old 03-09-2016, 07:43 PM   #2254

Alice in Wonderland and its sequel Alice Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll.Read not as children's books but the political satires they were brings a whole new perspective!
Old 03-10-2016, 07:16 AM   #2255

"Crisis Point" by former senate majority leaders Trent Lott and Tom Daschle. Pretty good but not superb read so far. I'm also reading "Where the Right Went Wrong," by E.J. Dionne. That's a much better read.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:50 AM   #2256

Seized: A Sea Captain's Adventures Battling Scoundrels and Pirates While Recovering Stolen Ships in the World's Most Troubled Waters.

""Seized throws open the hatch on the shadowy world of maritime shipping, where third-world governments place exorbitant liens against ships, pirates seize commercial vessels with impunity, crooks and con artists reign supreme on the docks and in the shipyards--and hapless owners have to rely on sea captain Max Hardberger to recapture their ships and win justice on the high seas.
A ship captain, airplane pilot, lawyer, teacher, writer, adventurer, and raconteur, Max Hardberger recovers stolen freighters for a living.""

Quite the Indiana Jones type. I met a port captain who was a friend of his.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:13 AM   #2257

Love in the Time of Cholera.
A story of love and longing covering decades. Marquez is not an easy read for me, but this was worth the effort. It had me teared up and smiling by the end.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:44 AM   #2258

Just finished "Becoming Odyssa:Adventures on the Appalachian Trail" by Jennifer Pharr Davis, and now on "Yosemite National Park Tour" - both e-books
Old 03-10-2016, 03:34 PM   #2259
Dryer sheet wannabe

Just finished, for the second time, "Rethinking the Great Depression" by Gene Smiley.

For someone like me who is not verse in macroeconomic theory, the book is a very good read. And has some relevant application to recent history.

Amazon reviews are mixed, but I recommend it. When a 5 star review is given by a fellow author in economic history (Amity Shales), it can't be all that bad....
Old 03-12-2016, 01:51 PM   #2260
Dryer sheet wannabe

Currently reading Dino by Nick Tosches, about the life of Dean Martin. Absolutely great read about a true legend!