What have you read recently? 2009 -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do audiobooks count? My first audiobook experience is "The Financier" by Theodore Dreiser. Main character is a stock manipulator in Philadelphia in the 1870s. Good listen and now I'm trying to listen to its sequel, "The Titan" but the narration quality is not as good. These are on YouTube.

Do audiobooks count? My first audiobook experience is "The Financier" by Theodore Dreiser.

Works for me. Just started "Russian Roulette" by Michael Isikoff and David Corn in audio book format. Always go with the ebook format but my library only offered this one in audio book format so figured I'd give it a try.

The Real Odessa by Uki Goni.

How the Argentine Government and the Catholic Church enabled the movement hundreds of Nazi war criminals and tons of gold out of Europe after WW2 and in to Argentina. What the Swiss Gov't did to stop fleeing Jews from entering Switzerland and how their banks knowingly hosted tons of gold and jewelry stolen by the Nazis.

Recently finished Russian Roulette by Isakoff and Corn. Want to get their most recent book next.

Last edited:
The Real Odessa by Uki Goni.

Recently finished Russian Roulette by Isakoff and Corn. Want to get their most recent book next.

Certainly not aimed directly at you, but in lieu of making a Pet Peeve post, I'd just like to ask people to include two or three sentences of summary and/or review when posting a book here.

Thanks in advance! :flowers:

In the process of reading:
Route 66: Travelers guide and roadside companion, by Tom Snyder
Photographing the Southwest: Vol 2 - Arizona, by Laurent Martres
The Rising Sea, by Clive Cussler

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16130400-rivers

A short way into Rivers by Michael Farris Smith......in a semi-apocalyptic, man against nature and other people, (set in a post Katrina area where the rain & storms appear to have become permanent features), environment, our not-really-a-hero fights for survival.

Enjoying it thus far.

Are you a fan of the "Back to the Future" movie trilogy? If so, then you will like reading "We don't need roads: The Making of the Back to the Future Trilogy" by Caseen Gaines. I am more than halfway through the book and Mr. Gaines shares lots of fascinating backstory and insights from the cast and crew who put together these 3 movies more than 25 years ago. He was able to interview director Bob Zemeckis and writer Bob Gale, the Bobs, as he puts it.

Certainly not aimed directly at you, but in lieu of making a Pet Peeve post, I'd just like to ask people to include two or three sentences of summary and/or review when posting a book here.

Thanks in advance! :flowers:

One of the problems with given a review/summary of 'Russian Roulette' and similar 'political' books is it's difficult to do without seeming like you're making a political statement (which is the main intent of many of these books). That's usually frowned upon in this forum.

One of the problems with given a review/summary of 'Russian Roulette' and similar 'political' books is it's difficult to do without seeming like you're making a political statement (which is the main intent of many of these books). That's usually frowned upon in this forum.

If that's the case (and I'm not sure it is), then just including the book's subtitle would be useful. For example, in the one you mentioned:
Russian Roulette: The Inside Story of Putin's War on America and the Election of Donald Trump

Making progress on Behold The Dreamers, a tale of an illegal immigrant family surviving in NYC where the husband has the job of chauffeur to a Lehman Bros executive during the crisis. Written by Imbolo Mbue, it was a featured book by Oprah. So far so good.

OK, I've been holding off but will give it a try. Recently finished "The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump: 27 Psychiatrist and Mental Health Experts Assess a President". More than two dozen psychiatrists and psychologists offer their consensus view that Trump's mental state presents a clear and present danger to our nation and individual well-being.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's very nice, Zinger. And I suspect we don't need any more discussion about it.

Attachments

• 149775.jpg
    149775.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Last week I had the flu, so I read "I'll Be Gone In The Dark", by Michelle McNamara. It's about the Golden State Killer, who has never been caught. It is very good and has me double-checking our door locks at night.

Thanks for the tip - just finishing that book. Sad about the author - seems that she got absolutely consumed by that story and paid with her life. Also frustrating the Killer has never been caught. :mad:

The Nautical Chart
Arturo Pérez-Reverte

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2002/may/19/fiction.features1

Arturo Pérez-Reverte's fifth book is subtitled 'a novel of adventure', and it's a great yarn, ripping along on a tide of piracy, treasure-hunting, love and betrayal. But it is also a novel about adventure, whose characters are haunted by tales old and new.

One of my favorite authors.

I just finished "Educated" by Tara Westover. It is her memoir of growing up in a fundamentalist Mormon "prepper" household in Idaho. Notwithstanding the fact that she never went to school (or a doctor, for that matter), she was able to teach herself sufficiently to go to BYU and eventually earned a PhD from Cambridge. It is a very interesting exploration of the conflict between duties to family and duties to self. I highly recommend it.

Enjoying making frequent use of the new book section in my local library. Enjoy anything by Silva, King (Stephen) or Koontz. Also, on occasion find some old gems there too, such as the complete Father Brown stories by G. K. Chesterton, which I just finished today.

Making progress on Behold The Dreamers, a tale of an illegal immigrant family surviving in NYC where the husband has the job of chauffeur to a Lehman Bros executive during the crisis. Written by Imbolo Mbue, it was a featured book by Oprah. So far so good.
The ending was a little disappointing although it did contain a lesson.

Have completed Dirty Billionaire (Free part of 3 part trilogy). I found it lacking in believable substance. Fledgling country singer gets selected by billionaire as the women he must marry.

Now working on The Glass Castle which is moving along quite well.

I'm working my way through Katharine Graham's Personal History. It is a fascinating account of the era--of course, given her position, she knew almost everyone who was anyone at the time.

The Hidden Life of Trees: What They Feel, How They Communicate—Discoveries from a Secret World
Peter Wohlleben shares his deep love of woods and forests and explains the amazing processes of life, death, and regeneration he has observed in the woodland and the amazing scientific processes behind the wonders of which we are blissfully unaware.

Most enjoyable book about what really goes on in old forests. I think the author (a forest manager in Germany) goes a bit too far in anthropomorphizing his subjects, but on the whole there is mostly good solid science to support his thesis.

I'm only in chapter 1, but I've already got something out of the book "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life". You can sample it here and get it "for real" if you like it. It seems like the ethos presented in the book has already been figured out by many of the members of this board, but they might consider gifting the book to some of their more "keep up with the Jones" friends and family.

I'm only in chapter 1, but I've already got something out of the book "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life". You can sample it here and get it "for real" if you like it. It seems like the ethos presented in the book has already been figured out by many of the members of this board, but they might consider gifting the book to some of their more "keep up with the Jones" friends and family.

Just finished this book. I was simultaneously turned off and intrigued by the title. I felt the book offered good advice. Especially for younger folks trying to figure the world out. I recommended it to my son, but unfortunately he won’t read it. He doesn’t like to read and doesn’t consider my advice anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom