Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-12-2016, 05:14 PM   #2261

"Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson, the story about the Chicago World Fair and a serial killer who ravaged while the fair was being built and underway.

Another book I read and did not care for - "The Girl in the Spider's Web" by David Lagercrantz. This is a continuation of the Stieg Larsson "Millennium Series" stories (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo), the same characters but not brought to life as Larsson was able to do. A pass..

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2016, 10:41 PM   #2262
Recycles dryer sheets

"On Eagles Wings," by Follett. A true story about the rescue of two Ross Perot employees who got caught up in the Iranian madness of the late 70's.

Good read, well written. Not as sensational as my standard fare of fiction, but that's probably a good thing.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:35 PM   #2263
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Dismembered Hungary" Laszlo Buday

A treatise of events leading up to and the deed at the palace Trianon in Versaillles France in 1920. Where Hungary of a thousand years ( was formed in 896 AD) was divvied up by the French, British, Russians and Americans. Lost two thirds of land area and half of the population. Describes the League of Nations pie in the sky idea of Woodrow Wilson. Which of course was ignored by everyone.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:38 AM   #2264
Dryer sheet aficionado

"A Sky Without Eagles, Essays and Speeches" by Jack Donovan. The essay "Train for Honor" addresses various reasons that men including him and me spend hours working hard in the gym every week. "This is the book to hand out to baby-faced university freshman who had the misfortune of being forced to sit through totalitarian humanist indoctrination sessions." -- comment by Keith Preston

"Home; How Habitat Made Us Human" by John S. Allen; "I have enjoyed reading Home. It has helped me put together just what disparate factors our realty really represents, what is its real meaning and value." comment by Robert Shiller, Nobel Laureate in Economics. I bought the book for my son as a house-warming present (among others) for his new house. I read it while visiting him. The review of homonid species other than Homo sapiens in our ancestry is fascinating.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:50 AM   #2265
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I finished the first two books in the Red Rising Trilogy by Pierce brown and am reading the third. This is a SF Fantasy about revolution in a rigidly socially stratified solar system 700 years in the future. It channels a bit of Ender's Game with a full dose of Hunger Games, and Game of Thrones. I suspect gamers and fantasy fans would love the series. I am enjoying it even though I tend to stay away from fantasies.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:43 PM   #2266
Give me a forum ...

Currently reading The Only war We Had by Lanning. About the daily activities of an infantry platoon leader in Vietnam. I held such a position in 1968 and can relate to most of what is in the book.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:54 PM   #2267

After seeing the Harry Bosch seasons 1 & 2 from Amazon, I decided to try the books. Michael Connelly wrote the first in 1992, The Black Echo.

It's really good. Has some old technology like the cops using pagers and going to a phone booth to report in. First in 16 Harry Bosch novels so I've got plenty to look forward to.

Quote:
For maverick LAPD homicide detective Harry Bosch, the body in the drainpipe at Mulholland Dam is more than another anonymous statistic. This one is personal...because the murdered man was a fellow Vietnam "tunnel rat" who had fought side by side with him in a hellish underground war. Now Bosch is about to relive the horror of Nam. From a dangerous maze of blind alleys to a daring criminal heist beneath the city, his survival instincts will once again be tested to their limit. Pitted against enemies inside his own department and forced to make the agonizing choice between justice and vengeance, Bosch goes on the hunt for a killer whose true face will shock him.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:59 PM   #2268
Recycles dryer sheets

I love the Harry Bosch books, but have yet to see the video series, though I hear it is great. I am working my way through the books. Also for those who are not aware of it, check out the website http://www.stopyourekillingme,com/ to find the books of your favorite character or author all in order! I find this especially helpful when getting books from the library.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:26 PM   #2269

Couldn't get your link to work SDHiker. Usually I use Wikipedia to get the order of an author's book series. Here is the Bosch Series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Bosch. Amazon seems to have caught on and offers something like that too.

It seems there is a Harry Bosch frenzy as I see our library has a lot of holds on even the very old books in the series.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:31 PM   #2270
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Couldn't get your link to work SDHiker.
Looks like there is a ",com" instead of a ".com".

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:35 PM   #2271

Here are two sources I use.
I didn't check all 57 pages of this thread, so they may have been mentioned before.

BookSeriesInOrder.com - Book Series in Order

http://nlc.nebraska.gov/ref/booksinseries.asp
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:27 PM   #2272
Recycles dryer sheets

Started reading Casca, The Eternal Mercenary. Casca is a series of paperback novels, by Barry Sadler. The stories revolve around the life of Casca Rufio Longinus, the soldier in the Roman legions who drove the Lance into the side of Jesus Christ on Golgotha,and (in the novels) who is doomed by Jesus to wander the Earth aimlessly, always as a soldier, until the Second Coming. Jesus condemned Casca by saying, "Soldier, you are content with what you are. Then that you shall remain until we meet again. As I go now to My Father, you must one day come to Me." As Jesus died, blood from his wound trickled down Casca's spear and onto his hand, and Casca unknowingly tasted it after wiping sweat from his mouth. The character is loosely based on the Longinus legend of Christianity.
There are something like 29 books in the series written by Barry Sadler and a grand total of 44 with the later ones written by ghost writers.
http://www.casca.net/

BTW, The author, Barry Sadler is the Army Sargent who wrote the song, Ballad Of The Green Berets. You know, 'fighting soldiers from on high, fearless men, who jump and die...
Old 04-05-2016, 07:24 PM   #2273
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
Started reading Casca, The Eternal Mercenary. Casca is a series of paperback novels, by Barry Sadler. The stories revolve around the life of Casca Rufio Longinus, the soldier in the Roman legions who drove the Lance into the side of Jesus Christ on Golgotha,and (in the novels) who is doomed by Jesus to wander the Earth aimlessly, always as a soldier, until the Second Coming. Jesus condemned Casca by saying, "Soldier, you are content with what you are. Then that you shall remain until we meet again. As I go now to My Father, you must one day come to Me." As Jesus died, blood from his wound trickled down Casca's spear and onto his hand, and Casca unknowingly tasted it after wiping sweat from his mouth. The character is loosely based on the Longinus legend of Christianity.
There are something like 29 books in the series written by Barry Sadler and a grand total of 44 with the later ones written by ghost writers.
http://www.casca.net/

BTW, The author, Barry Sadler is the Army Sargent who wrote the song, Ballad Of The Green Berets. You know, 'fighting soldiers from on high, fearless men, who jump and die...

So much for turning the other cheek

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-05-2016, 07:35 PM   #2274

Inherit The Dead - 20 different writers, one for each chapter.

Amazing piece of work. 20 top notch crime writers each do a chapter and none of them got to read what the others had before. Yet it is completely coherent and seamless. Amazing.

The bad guys are as bad as they come, the good guy is a disgraced ex cop now PI and that's all I'm going to say except just read it if you like this kind of stuff. Top notch -
Old 04-05-2016, 07:56 PM   #2275

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
So much for turning the other cheek
What?! It's only temporary!
Old 04-05-2016, 08:42 PM   #2276
Recycles dryer sheets

Recently finished Ramez Naam's Apex, the final book in the Nexus, Crux, Apex trilogy. Really fun read, great plot, engaging characters, thought provoking story.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:21 AM   #2277
Give me a forum ...

A very entertaining biography of one of the most remarkable con men the US has ever seen, ranking right up there with Ponzi and Madoff, yet I had never heard of him before.

The title was so delightful that I just had to read it.

My Adventures with Your Money: George Graham Rice and the Golden Age of the Con Artist

Quote:
Master swindler George Graham Rice operated at the zenith of America's golden age of con artistry with plenty of illicit competition, but he stood apart from all others thanks to the sheer audacity, pure nerve and nefarious brilliance of his scams. Against the dark rise of American greed in the early 20th Century into the Roaring Twenties, the dapper but devious "GG" feasted ...
Old 04-08-2016, 06:30 AM   #2278
Give me a forum ...

Ancillary Justice, by Ann Leckie, won the Hugo, Nebula, and Clark Awards in 2014. It is the first in a trio of big "space opera" novels whose protagonist is an artificial intelligence in a human body. I have books two and three on hold.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:22 AM   #2279
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
Al Macy's latest
http://www.amazon.com/Yesterdays-Thi...sap_bc?ie=UTF8
Is pretty good.
If you Like John scalzi's humorous sci-fi like "red-shirts" or "fuzzy nation", chances are you'll enjoy "Yesterday's thief"

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Just finished "Red Shirts" by John Scalzi. Humorous and meta. The ensigns in a knockoff Star Trek universe come to realize they are expendable and why and plot to stop it.

Al Macy, huh ? He related to the famous musician ??....
Old 04-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #2280

Read 2 more from Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch series:
The Last Coyote (1995 copyright)

Angels Flight (1999 copyright)

Both were good. Makes me wonder what really goes on in the LAPD.