What have you read recently? 2009 -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching the Caps and reading a fascinating book: Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI, by David Grann, author of The Lost City of Z. Interesting history of a place, time, and people I knew nothing about.

I’m reading
A Man Called Ove, which my son gave me for my birthday. So far, I like it.

"Bad Blood" by Wall Street Journal reporter John Carreyou.

Excellent true story about the Theranos fraud. Supposedly being made into a film as well.

Over the winter I became a fan of author Robert Harris. All of his books are entertaining enough that I cant say one is a favorite. Munich was the first of his books that I read.
https://www.amazon.com/Munich-novel-Robert-Harris/dp/0525520260

The two most educational were Before the Dawn and Mayflower. Both mentioned in this thread I believe.

Leaving Cheyenne by Larry McMurtry is one of his lesser known books, but one that I think may be his best. Quite a lovely story.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/54822.Leaving_Cheyenne?ac=1&from_search=true

Thanks to all that contribute to this thread. Always helpful.

Last edited:
Just returned from Iceland and thought it appropriate to read "Journey to the Center of the Earth" in the evenings during the trip around the Circle Road before retiring.

Cheers!

For the more leisurely read, you cannot beat Clive Clussler. Easy to read, but can be hard to put down. For those of you mainly men who like to read try the following.
Fargo Adventures – Husband & wife historical treasure hunters.
Spartan Gold – Excellent
The Jungle – Very Good
The other three books in the series are also excellent.
Author – Clive Clussler
Orgeon Adventures - Excellent – All of them
Ex-CIA sets up his own company

Historical
Newt Gingrich – To Try Men’s Souls – Excellent Book
A novel of George Washington, and the fight for American freedom. Based on true facts of George Washington being asked to be the general and the crossing of the Delaware.

Older movies that are not in the mainstream that are very good.
Movies
Illusionist - Excellent
Gun Shy – Comedy Excellent

Hope you enjoy. Reading for expanding the mind, less TV more reading for retirement.

A few years ago I decided to read Clive Cussler, as I'm always looking for series with a lot of books to keep me entertained. So I started the Dirk Pitt books from the beginning. I started with The Mediterranean Caper, and made it through to Iceberg (books one and two). They were so misogynistic and homophobic I couldn't go any further. I've heard that things go better in Raise the Titanic (which I saw as a bad movie), but I've just never gone back. Shame, since there's like a million books which could keep me busy for awhile.

For the more leisurely read, you cannot beat Clive Clussler. Easy to read, but can be hard to put down. For those of you mainly men who like to read try the following.
Fargo Adventures – Husband & wife historical treasure hunters.
Spartan Gold – Excellent
The Jungle – Very Good
The other three books in the series are also excellent.
Author – Clive Clussler
Orgeon Adventures - Excellent – All of them
Ex-CIA sets up his own company

I started reading Cussler's books years ago. As of today I have all but one of the first edition of everything he has written. About 65+. All but 3 are unread in protective covered jackets (Mostly I read the paperback versions I pick up in used book stores). They aren't really worth anything but it has been a fun and inexpensive way to have a collection.

Fun read and consist of quite a few series. To start now to read them all would take some time. He usually has at least 3 new books each year.

Cheers!

Just finished "The Shape of Water". I enjoyed it and think I'll rent the DVD.

I’m reading
A Man Called Ove, which my son gave me for my birthday. So far, I like it.
Beartown, also by Backman is excellent. It is a story about kids growing up in a Swedish hockey town that feels like rural Pennsylvania or upstate New York. He has a new one set in the same town that I haven't read yet.

Last edited:
I just completed 'Astrophysics for People in a Hurry' by Neil DeGrasse Tyson. It was indeed a quick read, but a nice update on the current thoughts in astrophysics. Very little of the book is down in the weeds, so most of it is understandable to most people, IMO.

Beartown, also by Backman is excellent. It is a story about kids growing up in a Swedish hockey town that feels like rural Pennsylvania or upstate New York. He has a new one set in the same town that I haven't read yet.

Thanks so much!

I love the Vera series on Acorn TV and wonder if reading the stories will ruin episodes for me? Or do the tv shows not follow the books?

For DW and I it has not been a problem. It doesn't bother me if I know who-done-it. For me it is more about what the author or screen shows me about life.

Just finished Bryan Burrough's book Days of Rage.

It is about America's radical underground, Weathermen, SLA, etc.

I had no idea that there were so many bombings, so many murders during that period in the early-mid 70's.

Just starting Charlie LeDuff's "Detroit: An American Autopsy". Having grown up in Flint (Detroit is the a**hole of the world, and Flint is 60 miles up it) I can relate.

LeDuff seems like a combination of Royko, Terkel and gonzo Hunter S. I'd seen him on Bourdains show on the Detroit episode. He left The NY Times to return to Detroit. Pretty gritty stuff, so far.

"The Tyranny of Metrics" by Jerry Muller. All about how running an organization by concentrating on the metrics encourages employees to game they system to meet the goals of the metrics. Not all things that are important can be measured, and not all things that can be measured are important. For example, if Medicare reduces reimbursement for hospitals because of too many readmissions within 30 days of discharge, then hospitals simply don't readmit the patient - they place them in an "observation" status as an outpatient, even though the patient is occupying a hospital bed for several days.

Just bought "Beyond the Hundredth Meridian - John Wesley Powell and the Second Opening of the West" by Wallace Stegner. Add this to the pile of 4 or so books that I'm in the middle of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom