Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-29-2016, 06:27 PM   #2321
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My pile to go back to the library includes Harlan Coben's, Fool Me Once, a good typical Coben about a woman who's dead husband appears on her nanny cam (good twist at the end); and Sheila Weller's, Girls Like Us, a biography of Carole King, Joni Mitchell, and Carly Simon. It is a big, dense book which I didn't expect to finish but did and enjoyed along the way.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2016, 08:03 PM   #2322
Full time employment: Posting here.

On vacation this weekend, and read Stephen King's Joyland, a coming of age story/murder mystery set in an amusement park on the Carolina coast. I liked it much more than many of King's more recent efforts (11/22/63 is a notable, excellent exception). At less than 300 pages, it was a quick and easy read. Recommended for King fans.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:51 PM   #2323

Just finished all 4 of the Neopolitan Novels by Elena Ferrante.

Book 1 My Brilliant Friend. For me, hard to get into and to follow with so many Italian names thrown at you ---but with frequent reference back to the list of characters in the front of the book I was glad to stick with it because it gets better...it sets up books 2 and 3 which I found extremely compelling. (book 2 The Story of a New Name and Book 3 Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay). The last book (The Story of the Lost Child) left me a little disappointed but I was glad to get through this amazing 1600+ page opus.

People talk about it being a feminist story. I am not a woman, so what do I know, but it just seemed a very human story. About childhood and friendship, and love and loss, and youth and aging, and work and life, and a very different culture. I never appreciated before how very different life and politics in a Western European city could be from what we know in the USA.

This is a great series of books that I highly recommend.
But it is a big commitment.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-31-2016, 12:05 AM   #2324
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been reading the last few Anne Tyler books. I love her writing, but it's not for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-08-2016, 10:18 PM   #2325
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't often read science fiction, but found this one to be an exception.
Well written, unique subject, and thought provoking.

http://www.amazon.com/When-Skies-Are.../dp/1530285178

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:30 PM   #2326

Zero Day - David Baldacci

The first "John Puller" book, murders in "coal country" WV. Yup they knew too much. Puller and the local cops thwart terrorism in America.

Thrilling.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:35 PM   #2327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Just started The Nearest Exit by Olen Steinhauer, (had I been aware of it beforehand I would have begun with his earlier book The Tourist, but 'spilled milk' and all that).

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...vqQcWBFddUF-0=

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/23/bo.../Hammer-t.html
Being a nonlinear individual I finished The Nearest Exit, read The Burglar Who Painted Like Mondrian, a Lawrence Block standby, and am now into The Tourist, The Tourist (The Tourist, #1) by Olen Steinhauer — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists , to catch up to where I started......good genre reads.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:16 PM   #2328
Give me a forum ...

I've been reading Overdiagnosed: Making People Sick in the Pursuit of Health. It's pretty interesting. The author, Dr. Welch, isn't a conspiracy theorist. He's just noticed that by decreasing the numbers for various conditions (diabetes, cholesterol, BP, Osteoporosis, etc), millions of additional people are now defined as sick, and even more as pre-sick. But the people that get picked up by the lowered number are also the people least likely to actually develop the condition. And by treating them as if they were high risk they are at risk for all the negatives caused by the medications. Basically, the medical/pharma professions are exposing many additional people to dangerous side effects in the effort to save a very few from the effect of the disease. He says it's all with the best intentions (covering his butt with his fellow doctors, I'm sure), but that they need to pay more attention to the cost/benefit aspect of treating people.

It's a very interesting, although not very exciting, read. If you are interested in the interactions between the medical profession and people I would recommend it.

I'm also in the middle of The Promise by Robert Crais. The most recent Elvis Cole novel. It's good and entertaining as are all of his books.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #2329
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I've been reading the last few Anne Tyler books. I love her writing, but it's not for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I just finished "A spool of Blue Thread " . I like her books but they are quirky .
Old 06-12-2016, 09:25 AM   #2330

I just finished a delightful book, "A Man Called Ove" by Swedesh author Fredrik Backman. Set in Sweden, it's about an aging curmudgeon, life, and death. An easy read, but oh so enjoyable.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:33 AM   #2331
Give me a forum ...

Unlike most here, I mainly read nonfiction.
The latest is an extraordinarily well written account of how genes were discovered and understood (as far as they are currently understood).

The Gene: An Intimate History by Siddhartha Mukherjee
Old 06-12-2016, 10:42 AM   #2332
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Unlike most here, I mainly read nonfiction.
The latest is an extraordinarily well written account of how genes were discovered and understood (as far as they are currently understood).

The Gene: An Intimate History by Siddhartha Mukherjee
I also favour nonfiction. The Gene is on my list. I also recommend Mukherjee's first book, The Emperor of All Maladies, a biography of Cancer.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:16 AM   #2333

Burn - James Patterson

A bizarre tale of cannibalism in NYC. This one has been sitting on the shelf for a while and I think I should have left it there. Kinda weird and disjoint.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:33 AM   #2334

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Zero Day - David Baldacci

The first "John Puller" book, murders in "coal country" WV. Yup they knew too much. Puller and the local cops thwart terrorism in America.

Thrilling.
I just read that one a couple weeks ago. Baldacci has a lot of good books, and many of them are series with recurring characters. Zero Day is book 1 of 3.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:59 PM   #2335
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Burn - James Patterson

A bizarre tale of cannibalism in NYC. This one has been sitting on the shelf for a while and I think I should have left it there. Kinda weird and disjoint.
I've quit reading Patterson. I don't think he actually writes any of his books anymore. Just farms out ideas and puts his name on the book.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:25 PM   #2336

I agree, this was a "collaboration" too.

I like "Clive collaborations", but I'll be passing on Patterson.

And Clancy is dead, but he's still writing eh? Amazing.

Not really though, Jimi Hendrix released a couple albums after he died. Show me the money!
Old 06-12-2016, 08:32 PM   #2337

Quote:
And Clancy is dead, but he's still writing eh? Amazing.

Not really though, Jimi Hendrix released a couple albums after he died. Show me the money!
The difference is that Hendrix actually made those recordings. Clancy never wrote a single word after he died. At least, I think he didn't...
Old 06-12-2016, 08:57 PM   #2338
Give me a forum ...

Louis L'amour is still releasing books, and he's been dead for 28 years.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:54 PM   #2339

I'm just finishing Matthew Desmond's Evicted. I got it on audiobook for my long daily commute and it is very compelling. Desmond is an academic (and winner of a McArthur grant) who actually moved into two slum areas of Milwaukee to research this book and tell the stories of the people in the book.

I learned a great deal about the reasons why the worst housing stock is sometimes the most profitable, and how these folks who pay more than 60% of their income for rent manage to survive.

A worthwhile read, as he has a great gift for making their stories come to life, including both their bad decisions and their bad luck, in an unvarnished look at life on the fringes in a big city.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:40 AM   #2340
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm cheap so I set up an alert at bookbub.com
Daily emails of free or almost free books base on the profile you set up. These are mostly Kindle versions, some from established authors, quite a few from new authors. But hey they're cheap or free.