Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 01:25 PM   #2341
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Guilty - David Baldacci

The latest "Will Robie" thriller. And thrill it does. Robie goes back home to his roots. And many murders. And teams up with his fellow CIA assassin Jessica Reel to get to the truth. Good thing too as there are serial killers and contract killers after them.

Good stuff!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #2342
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
I'm cheap so I set up an alert at bookbub.com
Daily emails of free or almost free books base on the profile you set up. These are mostly Kindle versions, some from established authors, quite a few from new authors. But hey they're cheap or free.
DW and I both signed up. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:23 PM   #2343

Just started book 5 of 6 in "The Expanse Series"

This is set in a future where Earth, Mars, and people who live their entire lives in the asteroid belt and moons of Jupiter are at odds with each other (at times). And then some really weird stuff happens that nobody can explain.

There was a TV show for one season on SyFy that covered parts of the first and second books. Watching that, even before starting the books, might be a good idea (so you can picture the characters). I watched the series in between the first and second book, and I thought it might be hard to follow the show, but if you just relax into it, it comes together.

The universe of the series mostly acts with the physics we know (acceleration is not ignored), but has unexplainable stuff that all the players are trying to figure out to their own advantage.

It's kept me engaged, the characters are likable, so I've kept reading. Some series we a marathon, and I kept going because "I've gone this far", but this one I look forward to each new twist and what my friends will do next.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:00 PM   #2344
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Just started book 5 of 6 in "The Expanse Series"

This is set in a future where Earth, Mars, and people who live their entire lives in the asteroid belt and moons of Jupiter are at odds with each other (at times). And then some really weird stuff happens that nobody can explain.

There was a TV show for one season on SyFy that covered parts of the first and second books. Watching that, even before starting the books, might be a good idea (so you can picture the characters). I watched the series in between the first and second book, and I thought it might be hard to follow the show, but if you just relax into it, it comes together.

The universe of the series mostly acts with the physics we know (acceleration is not ignored), but has unexplainable stuff that all the players are trying to figure out to their own advantage.

It's kept me engaged, the characters are likable, so I've kept reading. Some series we a marathon, and I kept going because "I've gone this far", but this one I look forward to each new twist and what my friends will do next.
I read the first couple of books, and enjoyed them. I'll eventually read the rest. I've enjoyed the TV show, but DW doesn't like it (can't follow it) so I only watch it when I watch alone, which is almost never. I particularly like the photography, how it enlongates the belters to reflect their low gravity heritage. Thomas Jane does an excellent job in the lead role.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #2345

This thread always delivers...

Thanks to you both re: The Expanse. Just watched the first episode on a pirate site (don't get SyFy) and placed a hold at the library on Leviathan Wakes. It must be a good book series since I was hold #44 on 1 copy !! lol

Liked the first tv episode. I prefer my space opera gritty rather than pretty and realistic rather than far fetched, so it scores on both counts. SyFy must have come into some money as well because the production values and quality seemed pretty high for a production by them.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:15 PM   #2346
Give me a forum ...

Restless by William Boyd.....subsequently, it appears, made into a two-part BBC series*.........twists & turns, well done:

Restless by William Boyd

*Which I have, just now, put on request at our library.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 06-21-2016, 07:23 PM   #2347

The Nest...
An Inheritance lost, greed and all the bad choices we humans make and have made..
Good stuff so far.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh
Old 06-21-2016, 09:24 PM   #2348
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
The Nest...
An Inheritance lost, greed and all the bad choices we humans make and have made..
Good stuff so far.
Author names are useful. A quick Google search gives lots of information about thermostats.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:45 AM   #2349
Give me a forum ...

I think our sun and stars are fascinating and frustrating. Frustrating because we can only know them as a model, no way to get up close and personal. But some of the modeling is very interesting and is done in believable detail -- like the proton-proton chain that leads to the billions of neutrinos flowing through our bodies (and out the other end of the earth). This book, The Life and Death of Stars, does a good job without getting too technical (no math).

OK, the first chapters are boring and a review for me. I'm not interested in learning the constellations, just mostly in what those contained thermonuclear reactions are like and what particles are produced and what's going to happen over the next billions of years.

It is not a page turner in my opinion and I'm taking it a few pages at a time when the mood strikes me. It's a good diversion from fiction reading too. Link: https://smile.amazon.com/Life-Death-...death+of+stars
Old 06-22-2016, 04:41 PM   #2350
Give me a forum ...

A good one for the post apocalyptic end of the world genre: Age of Miracles. First novel by Karen Thompson Walker. I really liked it, but it did drag a bit in a few places, mostly when bogged down in the normal everyday stuff of a middle schooler. Narrated by a young girl about the time of the "slowing", when the earth's rotation began slowing down, extending the days and nights.

I'd say more for the ladies, honestly, as it doesn't include much hard science kinda speculation as some other authors in this space (like Hugh Howey).

Old 06-22-2016, 04:49 PM   #2351
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
A good one for the post apocalyptic end of the world genre: Age of Miracles. First novel by Karen Thompson Walker. I really liked it, but it did drag a bit in a few places, mostly when bogged down in the normal everyday stuff of a middle schooler. Narrated by a young girl about the time of the "slowing", when the earth's rotation began slowing down, extending the days and nights.

I'd say more for the ladies, honestly, as it doesn't include much hard science kinda speculation as some other authors in this space (like Hugh Howey).
Apocalyptic end of the world is not my genre, but lack of hard science would be a big turnoff for this lady!
Old 06-22-2016, 07:30 PM   #2352
Give me a forum ...

Lol, I can see that! I just meant it is a softer sort of novel, really more YA fiction, than the usual (male authored) stuff in this genre. It made for a nice change, tbh. I was listening to it instead of reading, had it been in print form, I'm certain I would have skipped over some of the more "preteen angst" passages.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:54 AM   #2353
Give me a forum ...

Two thumbs up for The Never Open Desert Diner, James Anderson's debut novel. Haunting, lyrical, dark... it merits all the accolades. The protagonist is a truck driver in the Utah desert who falls for a mysterious woman hiding from a mysterious past. The other characters are what you guessed those remote desert dwellers might be. Defintely worth putting in a hold at the library.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:07 PM   #2354

I'm reading Watership Down. It's my granddaughter's favorite book, so I asked if I could borrow it. We are both avid readers, and often suggest books to each other. So far, I like it quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-23-2016, 12:15 PM   #2355
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I'm reading Watership Down.
An opportune time to read it, as there may be some parallels with Brexit.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 06-23-2016, 12:53 PM   #2356
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Two thumbs up for The Never Open Desert Diner, James Anderson's debut novel. Haunting, lyrical, dark... it merits all the accolades. The protagonist is a truck driver in the Utah desert who falls for a mysterious woman hiding from a mysterious past. The other characters are what you guessed those remote desert dwellers might be. Defintely worth putting in a hold at the library.
Thanks for the recommendation ! I just ordered it from the library .
Old 06-29-2016, 01:59 PM   #2357
Give me a forum ...

Never Go Back - Lee Child

Another great Jack Reacher novel and one of my favorites as it is the only one where Reacher doesn't kill anyone. He maims a few, but doesn't kill anyone. Amazing -
Old 06-29-2016, 11:06 PM   #2358

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Never Go Back - Lee Child

Another great Jack Reacher novel and one of my favorites as it is the only one where Reacher doesn't kill anyone. He maims a few, but doesn't kill anyone. Amazing -

That's good to hear - the last couple I read were way over the top with the chuck Norris ninja killer Schtick.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-04-2016, 04:17 PM   #2359
Give me a forum ...

Piranha - Clive Cussler

An Oregon adventure. Castillo and crew defeat yet another egocentric megalomaniac mass murderer genius who wants to rule the world.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:23 PM   #2360
Give me a forum ...

I started reading "Crisis of Character" by Gary Byrne earlier today. About half way through now. PDG...so far....
Closed Thread