Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-03-2017, 09:41 AM   #2481
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Reading A Spy's Life by Henry Porter....so far, so good...

A Spy's Life by Henry Porter — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2017, 10:57 AM   #2482
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Under the Dome...

About 95% different from the TV of the same name, and much, much better than the TV show, IMHO.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:25 PM   #2483
Recycles dryer sheets

Finished "Blue Highways" by William Least Heat Moon. An excellent recommendation by Nodak. I had my atlas handy when reading so I could identify the really small towns. I found it very enjoyable.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:34 PM   #2484

The Tipping Point
Alaska Wolf Man
The Millionaire Next Door
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:41 PM   #2485
Recycles dryer sheets

The Lords of Discipline. I picked it up from a stack of free paperbacks. Written by Pat Conroy in 1980, (also wrote The Great Santini). Awesome book DW and I both really enjoyed.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #2486

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
The Lords of Discipline. I picked it up from a stack of free paperbacks. Written by Pat Conroy in 1980, (also wrote The Great Santini). Awesome book DW and I both really enjoyed.

Great book.

I worked with one of Conroy's classmates from the Citadel.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:41 PM   #2487

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Reading A Spy's Life by Henry Porter....so far, so good...

A Spy's Life by Henry Porter €” Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists
Finished the book....found it to be very well done.....now reading Jo Nesbo's Cockroaches...'an early Harry Hole case'.

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/cockroaches-3

Old 01-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #2488

Just began "Valiant Ambition" by Nathaniel Philbrick. It's a book about Benedict Arnold and what led to his treason during the American Revolution.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:20 PM   #2489
Give me a forum ...

I finished Tana French's newest book, The Tresspasser. link: https://smile.amazon.com/Trespasser-...er+tana+french

It is written in the first person from the standpoint of the young Murder Squad detective in Dublin, Antoinette Conway. Lots of Irish street slang. Makes you feel like you are right in there with the detectives.

A bit of a slow starter as the first half felt slow to me. But I hung in there and felt it was maybe a 4.5 star book. I read really slowly and put the book down a lot so maybe I'm not your typical page turning reader. I've read all of Tana French's books.

Quote:
Detectives Steve Moran and Antoinette Conway are now partners on the Murder Squad. They’ve been handed a case that at first looks like every other low-energy domestic they’ve ever been given--but during a routine interview, the murdered woman’s friend drops a clue that leads them to suspect this could be bigger than they had imagined. Much bigger. Contentious squad room politics add to their frustration as the detectives are led in conflicting directions by red herrings, dead ends, and warped perceptions. The Trespasser kept me happily discombobulated, guessing at an ending that I didn’t see coming. And that is what makes Tana French one of the best thriller writers out there. --Seira Wilson, The Amazon Book Review
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:32 PM   #2490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I finished Tana French's newest book, The Tresspasser. link: https://smile.amazon.com/Trespasser-...er+tana+french
Will watch out for her works...thank you.

Having finished the Nesbo, I'm on to The Fifth Woman, another Kurt Wallander novel by Henning Mankell:

The Fifth Woman (Kurt Wallander, #6) by Henning Mankell — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

Old 01-10-2017, 02:43 PM   #2491

David Mccullough's The Greater Journey, about Americans in Paris in the 19th century. Gosh he's a good writer!
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:01 PM   #2492
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post

It is written in the first person from the standpoint of the young Murder Squad detective in Dublin, Antoinette Conway. Lots of Irish street slang. Makes you feel like you are right in there with the detectives.

A bit of a slow starter as the first half felt slow to me. But I hung in there and felt it was maybe a 4.5 star book. I read really slowly and put the book down a lot so maybe I'm not your typical page turning reader. I've read all of Tana French's books.
I was disappointed in a couple of things in Secret Place, the previous Tana French book, because she is usually just soooo good imo, but am looking forward to this new book. I saw it at the library last week but have a bunch of books stockpiled already.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:59 PM   #2493
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I was disappointed in a couple of things in Secret Place, the previous Tana French book, because she is usually just soooo good imo, but am looking forward to this new book. I saw it at the library last week but have a bunch of books stockpiled already.
Yep, I noticed the reviews on Amazon were lower for that one. I only read 1/2 of the Secret Place. Could not get into the teenage girl stuff.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:49 AM   #2494
Recycles dryer sheets

I am reading "the Dorito Effect- The surprising new truth about food and Flavor" I'm not done with it yet, but so far its very interesting. I read something about it in a post on this site.

My 12 year old son's comment was pretty funny- "Noooo, not another book on nutrition! Mom, I love Doritos, please don't read that!"
Old 01-11-2017, 07:02 AM   #2495
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
David Mccullough's The Greater Journey, about Americans in Paris in the 19th century. Gosh he's a good writer!
Just finished "America 1900" by Judy Crichton. If you liked "The Greater Journey" you will also like this one which is written in a similar style. Judy Crichton was a director of the American Experience. The book reviews the year 1900 month by month by focusing on interesting events that occurred each month and then tying them together. Also provides a nice portrait of William McKinley which led me to "The Triumph of William McKinley" by Karl Rove. Yes that Karl Rove.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:38 AM   #2496

The oldest American mystery is what happened to the lost colony of Roanoke. I thoroughly enjoyed this account that treats it as a detective story. An enormous amount of research went into it and the author is extremely well qualified to look at the Native American side. Some reviewers objected to the author's unusual style, but I found it quite enjoyable.

Roanoke: Solving the Mystery of the Lost Colony
Quote:
In November of 1587, a report reached London claiming Sir Walter Raleigh's expedition to land English settlers in America had foundered. The colony on Roanoke Island off of the coast of North Carolina-115 men, women, and children-had disappeared without a trace. For four hundred years, the question of what became of the doomed settlers has remained unanswered.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:18 PM   #2497

Just starting theChinese writer Cixin Liu sci-fi series, The Three-BodyProblem.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:11 AM   #2498
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just finished "All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr. The story of a blind French girl and a German boy and how their paths cross during WWII. I highly recommend.
misanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:38 AM   #2499
Recycles dryer sheets

The Quantum World; Quantum Physics for Everyone.
If you have ever wondered what the science of quantum physics is about, but thought the educational background to get 'up-to-speed' so to speak was lacking or too daunting to tackle, then this book is for you.

I'm a sci-fi geek. I love anything science fiction. I've been in awe of how the authors of books, and creators of movies and TV shows have been so accurate in foretelling the future of scientific ideas into practical application. Reading this book now, for the the 3rd time, not because it's difficult to comprehend but because in this ever changing world, there's more to realize and apply, I am constantly amazed at the obvious intelligent design of the natural universe.
skipro33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:16 PM   #2500

For a change of pace I just started Murphy's Law by Colin Bateman (who use to publish simply as Bateman).

I've read a number of his cynically funny books and enjoyed them.

Colin Bateman (Author of Mystery Man)

(Apparently they made a TV series based on the book, which I hadn't heard of, but which I just added to our library wish list.)