Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 07:49 PM   #2501
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
I am reading "the Dorito Effect- The surprising new truth about food and Flavor" I'm not done with it yet, but so far its very interesting. I read something about it in a post on this site.

My 12 year old son's comment was pretty funny- "Noooo, not another book on nutrition! Mom, I love Doritos, please don't read that!"
The boy makes a good point.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2017, 08:02 PM   #2502
Dryer sheet wannabe

Just finished "D DAY Through German Eyes - The Hidden Story of June 6th 1944". It's an excellent account of what D-Day in Normandy looked like from the other side. The German is perspective is terrifying, arrogant, humiliating for the German soldiers, a mass disaster for the Russians, and a conflict in alliances for the French. The stories are from German survivors circa 1955.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:31 PM   #2503
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thank You For Being Late by Tom Friedman.

heh heh heh -
Old 01-21-2017, 11:15 PM   #2504

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipro33 View Post
The Quantum World; Quantum Physics for Everyone.
If you have ever wondered what the science of quantum physics is about, but thought the educational background to get 'up-to-speed' so to speak was lacking or too daunting to tackle, then this book is for you.

I'm a sci-fi geek. I love anything science fiction. I've been in awe of how the authors of books, and creators of movies and TV shows have been so accurate in foretelling the future of scientific ideas into practical application. Reading this book now, for the the 3rd time, not because it's difficult to comprehend but because in this ever changing world, there's more to realize and apply, I am constantly amazed at the obvious intelligent design of the natural universe.
Skipro- you'd probably really like the book I'm starting, The Three Body Problem. It's Chinese sci-fi. Early in the book, the worlds smartest theoretical physicists find the laws of physics are not invariant across time and space, and start committing suicide.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:53 AM   #2505
Give me a forum ...

Just finished yet another Robert B. Parker book, (this one from 1980); when I think there can't possibly be one I haven't read, I find another.....loved his pithy style, a lot said with an economy of words.

This one contained a line apropos to the now sadly defunct 'Class' thread:

Spenser says...."I am clearly not of your social class, but I am not without grace."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 01-31-2017, 06:47 AM   #2506

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
Just finished "All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr. The story of a blind French girl and a German boy and how their paths cross during WWII. I highly recommend.
+1

I'm now reading "Stella Bain", by Anita Shreve. I like her books.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:58 AM   #2507

I try to avoid self-help books but I have one to recommend: Amy Johnson's The Little Book of Big Change. It helps take control and change any bad habits. I've found the advice sane and practical.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:08 AM   #2508
Give me a forum ...

I decided to reread a book I read about 10 years ago when it came out. It's "The Bronx is Burning," by Jonathan Mahler. It's about the summer of 1977 in New York City, a tumultuous time in the city in which several stories converged - a big Democratic primary for New York City mayor in the wake of its fiscal crisis; the endless newsmaking ability of the New York Yankees with the trio of owner George Steinbrenner, manager Billy Martin, and slugger Reggie Jackson; a power blackout that July; and the hunt and capture of Son of Sam serial killer David Berkowitz.

The book was turned into a made-for-TV miniseries on ESPN in 2007. Not surprisingly, it focused mainly on the Yankees.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 02-05-2017, 03:41 PM   #2509

Enjoying "Something to Remember Me By", short story by Saul Bellow. Like it. Reminds me of Roth. Will check out more Bellow. I've read all of Roth already.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #2510
Give me a forum ...

I am currently reading The Adventure of English: the Biography of a Language, by Melvin Bragg. Published in 2011, it is based on the BBC series (which I have previously watched on YouTube). It is very engaging and a must read for all readers and students of English literature, as well as for grammar Nazis.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:28 PM   #2511
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I am currently reading The Adventure of English: the Biography of a Language, by Melvin Bragg. Published in 2011, it is based on the BBC series (which I have previously watched on YouTube). It is very engaging and a must read for all readers and students of English literature, as well as for grammar Nazis.
You might also like this one, (if you haven't previously read it):

The Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson

https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews...8-07895-8.html

Old 02-05-2017, 05:23 PM   #2512

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
The Three Body Problem. It's Chinese sci-fi.
Just finished this and really enjoyed it. I'll not comment at all on the plot because it would spoil things for you, but it's a great book not only as sci-fi but also as a bit of a window into China during the Cultural Revolution as well as today. Very well done and extremely well translated.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IQO403K...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

If you don't want to buy it, you should be able to find it locally. My little library here in flyover country had it.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:39 PM   #2513
Give me a forum ...

Enjoying Brandenburg, (also published in some areas as Brandenburg Gate), by Henry Potter: a spy novel from the era of East Germany's collapse.

HENRY PORTER - Brandenburg - Romans policiers - LIVRES - Renaud-Bray.com - Livres + cadeaux + jeux

Old 02-10-2017, 12:56 PM   #2514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Enjoying Brandenburg, (also published in some areas as Brandenburg Gate), by Henry Potter: a spy novel from the era of East Germany's collapse.

HENRY PORTER - Brandenburg - Romans policiers - LIVRES - Renaud-Bray.com - Livres + cadeaux + jeux
Are you reading it in French?
Old 02-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #2515
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
Are you reading it in French?
Mais non, en Anglais seulement.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:22 AM   #2516
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Just finished it...excellent book with great insights into what life in the GDR must have been like.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:58 AM   #2517
Give me a forum ...

Started reading The Chalk Circle Man by Fred Vargas https://www.fantasticfiction.com/v/fred-vargas/ first one of her books I've read.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #2518
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Started reading The Chalk Circle Man by Fred Vargas https://www.fantasticfiction.com/v/fred-vargas/ first one of her books I've read.
A very 'different' book, with 'different' characters......I loved it.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #2519
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

H. Beam Piper's 1958 sci-fi novel "Lone Star Planet." As a Texan, I absolutely loved it - you might too, as the (tongue-in-cheek) basic premise involves "... a legal system that considers the killing of a practicing politician to be justifiable homicide."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._Beam_Piper
Old 02-20-2017, 11:22 AM   #2520
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks--I put the first one (which actually is this one )on my library list. I had not heard of this author or series before. They both look interesting.