What have you read recently? 2009 -2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read all the Dirk Pitt stories, all of the Kurt Austin stories, and all of the Juan Cabrillo (Oregon Files) books. Also, most of the Isaac Bell stories, and a couple of the Fargo Adventures.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I look forward to reading the Juan Cabrillo books more than any other character. Yes, I'd rather read an Oregon File story instead of a Dirk Pitt story. Give it a shot!

On that recommendation I will. Thx!

On that recommendation I will. Thx!

Since we both love Cussler's books, what other authors do you like to read? It can be in the thriller action/adventure genre but needn't be.

Similar to Cussler I've found I really like author Jack DuBrul. In fact, he co-authored many of the early Oregon File stories with Cussler. DuBrul's hero is Phillip Mercer.

I had a good run with James Rollins' earlier works. I thought the stand alone novels were better than the Sigma Force series. Ice Hunt stands out as a nail-biting page turner with some wild plot ideas. The Sigma Force stories have become predictable and stale, IMO.

Joseph Finder writes some very good business/financial thriller stories. They typically involve a mid-level manager that gets into trouble with seemingly no way out. The first one I read was Paranoia. I also really liked Power Play.

I've read all the Jack Reacher stories by Lee Child. Most are excellent, a couple are average.

Harlan Coben has some good stories. The Myron Bolitar series are good mysteries with a dash of humor. Bolitar's best friend, Windsor Horne Lockwood III ("Win") is one of the best characters ever. Coben's other stories are pretty good too, but most plots revolve around missing persons or people who dropped off the radar for a decade or so. Kind freaky how so many of his stories concern this, makes me wonder about his psyche.

Do you have any recommendations?

What have you read recently?

Since we both love Cussler's books, what other authors do you like to read? It can be in the thriller action/adventure genre but needn't be.

Similar to Cussler I've found I really like author Jack DuBrul. In fact, he co-authored many of the early Oregon File stories with Cussler. DuBrul's hero is Phillip Mercer.

I had a good run with James Rollins' earlier works. I thought the stand alone novels were better than the Sigma Force series. Ice Hunt stands out as a nail-biting page turner with some wild plot ideas. The Sigma Force stories have become predictable and stale, IMO.

Joseph Finder writes some very good business/financial thriller stories. They typically involve a mid-level manager that gets into trouble with seemingly no way out. The first one I read was Paranoia. I also really liked Power Play.

I've read all the Jack Reacher stories by Lee Child. Most are excellent, a couple are average.

Harlan Coben has some good stories. The Myron Bolitar series are good mysteries with a dash of humor. Bolitar's best friend, Windsor Horne Lockwood III ("Win") is one of the best characters ever. Coben's other stories are pretty good too, but most plots revolve around missing persons or people who dropped off the radar for a decade or so. Kind freaky how so many of his stories concern this, makes me wonder about his psyche.

Do you have any recommendations?

The only one’s you mention that I haven’t read are Jospeh Finder and James Rollins. I’ll have to check them out.

Probably the best series I’ve read of late is the Gabriel Allon series by Daniel Silva. Somewhat in the vein of Robert Ludlum.

The series centers around a Mossad agent whose claim to fame was hunting down and killing the terrorists from Munich. His cover is that he works as an art restorer, which gives him entre into many places. The stories are extremely well written. Silva provides historically accurate settings for his fictional narratives. Every year I can’t wait for the next book to come the following year.

I’ve read most of the James Lee Burke series about Dave Robicheaux, a police detective in New Iberia Louisiana. A couple of his books have been made into movies.

Also the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly. It’s about a police detective in Hollywood. Amazon has a video series they made from the Harry Bosch books.

There is also a series of books by the author Paul Doiron. The character is Mike Bowditch. He’s a game warden/police officer in Maine.

The Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn is also good. The character is a counterterrorism expert with the CIA

I’ve also read most of the Jesse Stone novels by Robert B Parker.

In addition to the various series I’ve read a ton of great stand alone books.

The Mark Sullivan book Beneath a Scarlet Sky is a true story about a man in WWII Italy. Fantastic story and it’s true.

The various Martin Cruz Smith books are good. The Arkady Renko series (Gorky Park, Polar Star, Havana Bay etc.) and also The Girl From Venice which was a stand alone book.

The Stieg Larsson, Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series.

The various non-fiction books by Erik Larson. Isaacs Storm about the hurricane that leveled Galveston. Also his book about the sinking of the Lusitania called Dead Wake.

Another WWII era book, also a true story called We Were the Lucky Ones.

Also some David Baldacci books have been good reads...

All the Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr

The Walk Series by Richard Paul Evans

The Informationist by Taylor Stevens

Last edited:
Probably the best series I’ve read of late is the Gabriel Allon series by Daniel Silva. Somewhat in the vein of Robert Ludlum.

Yes, I've read the first book in the series, "The Kill Artist", and I liked it a lot. I've got "The English Assasin" and "The Unlikely Spy" the next two in the series. Haven't read them yet.

I’ve read most of the James Lee Burke series about Dave Robicheaux, a police detective in New Iberia Louisiana. A couple of his books have been made into movies.

I'll check it out.

Also the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly. It’s about a police detective in Hollywood. Amazon has a video series they made from the Harry Bosch books.

I am aware of these stories, just never got around to starting them.

There is also a series of books by the author Paul Doiron. The character is Mike Bowditch. He’s a game warden/police officer in Maine.

Hmmm...I've read a couple by C.J. Box involving a game warden in Wyoming, Joe Pickett.

The Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn is also good. The character is a counterterrorism expert with the CIA

I've read most of them. I think I quit at Consent to Kill, which was about halfway through the series.

Along these same lines are the Scot Harvath novels by Brad Thor. I kind of vacillate between Thor and Flynn trying to decide who I like better.

I’ve also read most of the Jesse Stone novels by Robert B Parker.

Another author I've never really dug into. He's got plenty of books out there. I started reading "Double Play" a story about Jackie Robinson, but I was so turned off by it I quit. I guess that's why I never gave Mr. Parker another try.

The Mark Sullivan book Beneath a Scarlet Sky is a true story about a man in WWII Italy. Fantastic story and it’s true.

I just read that one several months ago. I liked it a lot , though I found some parts of it a bit hard to believe.

The various Martin Cruz Smith books are good. The Arkady Renko series (Gorky Park, Polar Star, Havana Bay etc.) and also The Girl From Venice which was a stand alone book.

Have read Gorky Park, wow, 30 years ago, I think.

The Stieg Larsson, Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series.

Yeah, I found the first book to be depraved. Murders, torture, sadomasochism, incest, beheadings, bestiality, even animal sacrifices. Not only that, but I had the killer down to one or two people (or possibly both) way before the unveiling by the author. So there wasn't much mystery for me. I finished the book and was relieved when I put it down. Didn't like the main character(s) at all.

Also some David Baldacci books have been good reads...

Have read a couple of the Camel Club books. I liked them. Also read Memory Man, which was pretty good, though I don't think I'll continue with the series.

The Bob Lee Swagger novel, Point of Impact was really good. Swagger is a former marine sniper that gets dragged into government service for the FBI. They made a move called "Shooter" and I think there was a USA network series as well. There's a whole series of Swagger novels.

I read "Orphan X" by Gregg Hurwitz, which started out very promising. Another one of these super spy novels, with the emphasis on super, as in, the guy is just too good at what he does. His computer hacking skills and technical wizardry are better than “Q” from the James Bond universe. Evan’s strategic planning is better than Ethan Hunt, he’s a better sniper than Bob Lee Swagger, his medical knowledge rivals Dr. McCoy’s. I've found this superstar-ism to be rife with new novelists. It's comic book level.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
I just finished “Educated” and recently read “Where the Crawdads Sing” also. Both were excellent reads. Quite intriguing.
And I also just read the newest book in the Miss Julia series. Always enjoy them for some light-hearted reading. Love them on audio also.

I just finished “Educated” and recently read “Where the Crawdads Sing” also. Both were excellent reads. Quite intriguing.
And I also just read the newest book in the Miss Julia series. Always enjoy them for some light-hearted reading. Love them on audio also.
I LOVE Miss Julia. Didn't know there was a new one. Thanks for the tip!

Two other books I read over spring break while on the beach, and the first time I can ever remember saying to my husband "I am breaking out in cold chills (goosebumps) again" at the end of a book. Twice in three days...crazy!!

The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
Run Away by Harlan Coben (newest one)

Enjoy! You won't be disappointed.

Ian McEwan's, Machines Like Me was good. McEwan is the award winning author of Atonement and many other books. This one is set in 1980 London in an alternative universe where Alan Turing is alive and has pioneered open source AI. The protagonist purchases one of the first human like AI "products." An interesting thought piece on a future that we may eventually confront.

Just finished a good Michael Connelly book and will be starting another of his...."The Drop". I've read a number of Connelly's books over the last year and really enjoy most of them. Just requested and received Charles Duhigg's "The Power of Habit". Only read a couple pages tonight, but think I will find it interesting. (Cue, Routine, Reward).

Just finished a good Michael Connelly book and will be starting another of his...."The Drop". I've read a number of Connelly's books over the last year and really enjoy most of them.

I've read every one of his books.

The theme of my next book will relate to lying, and I'm reading Spy the Lie and The Honest Truth About Dishonesty.

The takeaway from the first is that although you can't become a human lie-detector, deception is indicated if, starting within the first five seconds after asking a question, someone displays two or more specific signs. Signs include:

• Nonspecific denial: Did you kill him? I didn't do anything!
  • Refusal or reluctance to answer: I'm not sure I'm the person to answer that.
  • Repeating the question
  • Non-answer statements: That's a good question
  • Going into attack mode
  • Overly specific answers
  • Inappropriate level of politeness
  • Process complaints: Why are you asking me? How long is this going to take?
  • Failure to understand simple question
  • Invoking religion: I swear to God ...
  • Perception qualifiers: To tell you the truth ...
  • Pause or delay
  • Verbal/Nonverbal disconnect: Nods when saying no
  • Hiding mouth
  • Throat clearing
  • Hand to face activity: Pulling on earlobe
  • Grooming gestures

The takeaway from the second is described in this excerpt:

NQuVuYG.png

The authors find that most people balance those two motivations by cheating just a little bit.

The first book is annoying because it isn't written well. The second book is much better.

Last edited:
For those with an interest in hiostory just finished The Regency Period by Robert Morrison and When London was the Capital of America by Julie Flavell. Both excellent British social histories, the first covering the period 1812-1820 and the second 1750-1780.

Recently finished On China by Henry Kissinger and The Accidental Superpower by Peter Zeihan. On China is quite readable and gave a good grounding in the history of China up to about 2011. The Accidental Superpower was fascinating, and provided a believable explanation for how geography really is destiny for the countries of the world, and particularly how incredibly blessed we are as a nation in that respect. The author went a bit off the reservation on some unrelated topics here and there, such as with my background in materials, I'm not convinced that 3D printing is quite as transformative, at least not as quickly, as he believes.

In honor of the recent D-day anniversary, just finished Big Week by James Holland. Its about the Allied effort to achieve air superiority in the lead up to D-day, or Operation OVERLORD, as D-day and the following days were known then.

The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland
By Jim DeFede

It describes how a small town in Newfoundland, Canada (population 10,000) took care of about 7,000 passengers and crew from the planes forced to land there after US airspace was shut down after the 9/11 attacks. The generosity and selflessness of those people demonstrate what we need more of in the world today. They are amazing.

This is a short book and an easy read.

Infinite Powers: How Calculus Reveals the Secrets of the Universe, by Steven Strogatz, is an engaging survey of the history of calculus. This one is good if, like me, you were more of a reading comprehension type and never really "got" calculus or diffy Q. Makes me want to go to Khan Academy and study the subject. ;)

“Warning: this book is dangerous. It will make you love mathematics. Even more, there is a nonzero risk it will turn you into a mathematician.”
—Nassim Nicholas Taleb, author of The Black Swan

The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland
By Jim DeFede

It describes how a small town in Newfoundland, Canada (population 10,000) took care of about 7,000 passengers and crew from the planes forced to land there after US airspace was shut down after the 9/11 attacks. The generosity and selflessness of those people demonstrate what we need more of in the world today. They are amazing.

This is a short book and an easy read.

Thank you for reminding me about this book! I remember hearing about it when it was published, and intending to read it, but as with so many things it slipped my mind. My grandfather (long gone now) spent decades sailing around Newfoundland in the summers, and always spoke very highly of the people he met there. He said he never met finer people anywhere.

I have put the book on hold at my library. :flowers:

Thank you for reminding me about this book! I remember hearing about it when it was published, and intending to read it, but as with so many things it slipped my mind. My grandfather (long gone now) spent decades sailing around Newfoundland in the summers, and always spoke very highly of the people he met there. He said he never met finer people anywhere.

I have put the book on hold at my library. :flowers:

The musical "Come from Away" is also based on these same events. The play is currently running on Broadway in New York, and the road show is making the rounds. My wife and I saw the play three weeks ago, and enjoyed it so much we saw it again the following week. Great show, and there is no better message to share around the world these days.

I think you will really enjoy the book. Let me know what you think after you read it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom