Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-02-2009, 02:03 PM   #241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkitnow View Post
Cuba is WAY ahead of us in literacy.
Yep, not much else to do but read and try to keep your 56 Chevy running...

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2009, 02:42 PM   #242
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep, not much else to do but read and try to keep your 56 Chevy running...
Hey, they also have cigars. Making them and smoking them is full time work.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:28 AM   #243
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just finished "My stroke of insight," about a neuroanatomist who had a cerebral hemorrhage at age 37, essentially lost her left brain, and made a complete recovery over eight years. Informative about the plasticity of the brain and its opportunities for recovery, but more interesting was her spiritual enlightenment as she lived more fully in her right brain. Fascinating, hopeful and quick read.

On to "Agility training: The fun sport for all dogs." Oh yes, yes it is, even when the dog you've got is a big galumphing Lab.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:09 AM   #244

In the middle of Lois McMaster Bujold's Miles Vorkosigan series (sci-fi). It is really very good.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #245

Republican Gomorrah: Inside the Movement that Shattered the Party by Max Blumenthal

Just plain jaw dropping.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:52 AM   #246
Give me a forum ...

I'm reading, Bike Diaries, by David Byrne (Talking Heads). For thirty years Byrne has taken a folding bike along on his travels and used it to explore far flung corners of the cities he visits. His "diaries" are only tangentially about biking. They are primarily riffs on the culture, history, politics, art, architecture and music of the places he visits. An enjoyable read. I have been a Byrne fan since I first saw the video of a Stop Making Sense concert..
Old 11-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #247
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Listening to The Associate by Grisham. Much better than his previous one The Appeal. Remnds me The Firm.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #248

Don--that book sounded very interesting to me--I love the music and thought we'd enjoy his book.
I heard an interview on NPR with Magic Johnson and Larry Bird about their new book--might be a good holiday gift for sports buffs in your family. Amazon.com: When the Game Was Ours (9780547225470): Larry Bird, Earvin Johnson Jr., Jackie MacMullan: Books

I am wrapping up Dr. Thomas Stanley's latest book Stop Acting Rich and then on to Superfreakonomics. Great stuff!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #249

An oldie but goodie. Salamader by Morris West.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:48 PM   #250
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I'm reading, Bike Diaries, by David Byrne (Talking Heads).
This is evidently a very popular book. I am now # 225 in the queue!

Ha
Old 11-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #251

For those who enjoy Stephen King's books, his latest is out tomorrow, and a number of online sites are selling it at the low-low price of $9. Not bad for an 1100 page hardcover book. I just pre-ordered a copy from Amazon.com. Not sure if the low price will hold once the book is out tomorrow.

I generally skim the reviews, because I hate spoilers, but overall the reviews for this one have been positive. They also indicate that this is more science fiction than horror, which is fine by me.

On topic, I just finished 'What Should I Do With My Life' by Po Bronson. It's a collection of stories based on interviews he did with people who answered (or were trying to answer) that question for themselves. I found it very thought-provoking, and I enjoyed it very much.
Kindle for PC now available
Old 11-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #252

Kindle for PC now available

You can now download and read Kindle books on your PC. The application is free. I downloaded it this morning and actually like to option of reading my books this way. It is also great for the copy of Cooks Illustrated that I downloaded to my Kindle. It is much easier to use that book from the PC than from the Kindle. I am planning to down load a few more cook book.

Kindle for PC

Old 11-11-2009, 07:30 PM   #253
Give me a forum ...

I just read two financially related books - Stop Acting Rich (Thomas Stanley), and How To Smell A Rat (Ken Fisher). I think both of them are good examples of valuable 2-3 page articles inflated into 100+ page books for financial gain. It wasn't that there wasn't any beef, it was just buried under tons of condiments. Of the two I think I preferred the Stop Acting Rich book. But it was a quick read, only took me about two hours. I tended to skip past the tables and stats after glancing at them to see what point he was trying to make. The Fisher book was how to avoid being Madoff'ed. I learned 90% of what he was teaching while still in the introduction. The rest was mostly dead-horse beating combined with interesting but not very valuable anecdotes and history lessons.

Sorry, guys.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:24 AM   #254

I am just finishing up the book
The kite runner
By Khaled Hosseini

This is a great story. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:02 AM   #255

Dang! 25+ posts, and I'm just now getting here....where the heck have I been?! Oh, I guess I was busy reading or something.

Anyway, the most recent books are Emeril Lagasse's "Emeril at the Grill: A Cookbook for All Seasons".....I like Emeril, and I love to sacrifice dead animal and stuff over charcoal...year 'round!! I love reading cookbooks...finding unique new (to me) recipes, and new twists on old ones!

My most recent read, is the one I just picked up yesterday at the local bookstore....."True Compass" by Ted Kennedy. I just started it last night, and haven't gotten very far, but it's an interesting (to me) read. In it, Ted is just telling about his life, as if he's sitting there talking to you. Little details that he remembers, the behind the scenes ruckuses the Kennedy kids raised when the young and growing up. And a little humor interjected in amongst the details and stories. And of course, sailing....he loved sailing...and he shares the peacefulness and tranquility that that brought to his life....even up to nearly the end. It looks like it will be an interesting, fun, and easy book to read through.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #256
Administrator

Thank you for listing some non-fiction books, Harley, Goonie, and others! Some of us greatly prefer non-fiction to fiction. I was avoiding this thread because at first, my perception was that the books listed were almost entirely fiction.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:34 AM   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Thank you for listing some non-fiction books, Harley, Goonie, and others! Some of us greatly prefer non-fiction to fiction. I was avoiding this thread because at first, my perception was that the books listed were almost entirely fiction.
I almost never read fiction, either. Then again, I also generally prefer documentaries and educational shows to movies.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Hi W2R, I tend to read both. Now that you are really truly retired perhaps you might delve into the artistic domain a bit more? I find good fiction adds another dimension and more depth to my world. With some fiction authors you will have to suspend belief a little but the better ones won't require that. Just some thoughts.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:35 PM   #259

I never read non-fiction. And the fiction I read is mainly thrillers. No Sci Fi for me, thank you very much, I lack the imagination needed to enjoy them!!
Old 11-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I almost never read fiction, either. Then again, I also generally prefer documentaries and educational shows to movies.
Yup...me too!