Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-28-2017, 07:19 PM   #2641
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I have just started reading "An American Sickness," by Dr. Elizabeth Rosenthal. It's about the American health care system. So far, a good read, an eye-opener.
I started out as cynic regarding health care in the US, after reading this book I feel much worse. Ways to game the system that would never, ever have occurred to me.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2017, 11:40 AM   #2642
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am currently reading Stamped from the Beginning: the Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America, by Ibram X. Kendi (2016). It's a 500 plus page history book that is exhaustively researched and very well written. IMHO it is essential reading.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:31 PM   #2643
Give me a forum ...

I just finished Y is for yesterday by Sue Grafton . It was good but not her best . I am sad that she only has one letter left .
Old 09-02-2017, 02:02 PM   #2644
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I just finished Y is for yesterday by Sue Grafton . It was good but not her best . I am sad that she only has one letter left .
Perhaps the Greek alphabet next? Or numbers?
Old 09-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #2645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Just finished Captain Alatriste by Arturo Pérez-Reverte: https://www.goodreads.com/author/sho..._P_rez_Reverte

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...tain_Alatriste

Now just starting the sequel, Purity of Blood........https://www.amazon.ca/Purity-Blood-A.../dp/0452287987.....

....picked them both up for 50˘ apiece at our local library bookstore.
Really getting into these.....just about to start the sixth book in the series.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:12 PM   #2646
Administrator

Over the Labor Day weekend, I read Inside the Third Reich, the memoirs of Albert Speer, Hitler's architect and Minister of Armaments. It's an old book (published in 1970), but a fascinating read if you want to understand better the leaders of that disastrous regime. Some of his observations are timeless.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #2647

Just finished Hubris by Isakoff and Corn.

Good read. Lots of data. Next will be a Rebus novel.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:41 AM   #2648

Currently reading Notes from a Big Country/I'm a Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson....a collection of some 70+ short articles he wrote in the late 1990s for a British magazine regarding his observations upon his return to the US after a 20 year hiatus in England.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notes_from_a_Big_Country

DW, who wants to read it when I'm done, (although she has a dozen other books lined up), is constantly bombarded with "Listen to this...." while I attempt to read passages without laughing.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:56 PM   #2649
Full time employment: Posting here.

Posted this elsewhere because I thought I got the idea to read the last book there but now I can't find who recommended it. Nor can I find it here. Hmmh.. maybe I was smart enough to find out about it on my lonesome ? Nah, probably not.. lol
====
Just back from holiday and read a few books in the RV we rented to tour Northeastern Ontario.

The King of Shanghai - Ian Hamilton. Book 7 in the Ava Lee series. She is a lesbian Chinese-Canadian accountant that specializes in collecting bad debts and breaking noses. Hamilton has reached the formulaic stage now but she remains a compelling main character and the Canadian settings are familiar and the Asian ones well dramatized. I hope he keeps the quality as high as the output. I understand it has been optioned for a film series.

Full Tilt: Ireland to India with a Bicycle - Dervla Murphy. I am a sometime bicycle tourer and people have spoken highly of this book. I think I would have enjoyed it 25 years ago but didn't now. It is set in the 1960s and the politics and descriptions of the countries in Europe are just to dated and irrelevant to be enjoyable now. Gave up on it, which is rare.

The Year 1000: What Life was Like at the turn of the First Millenium - Robert Lacey. Only half way through but enjoying it so far. For some reason, it brings to mind when I first read Freakonomics.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:58 PM   #2650

Ok, I'll start right off and say this is an ad for a book. It's not out yet, but I requested it from the library.

The reason I think it's worth putting up here is because the message is a cool one: we humans don't remember past events "fairly". Instead, we remember peak moments (good or bad).

Build Peaks, Don't Fix Potholes - Heath Brothers Heath Brothers

It's a 4 minute video.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:20 AM   #2651

Just finished Carol Off's book All We Leave Behind.

Great insights into Afghanistan.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:18 AM   #2652
Give me a forum ...

Nice recommendations
Old 09-25-2017, 05:35 AM   #2653
Recycles dryer sheets

Reading now: Tulipomania: The Story of the World's Most Coveted Flower and the Extraordinary Passions it Aroused. By Mike Dash. Kindle version: $9.99

Really well done explanation of the Dutch tulip madness of the mid-17th Century. Lots of good background on the origins of the botanical tulip and the history of its variegated forms. Why Holland? It was a chance encounter of one of the main protagonists in the story. Why so expensive: biological factors limited the number of the most desirable tulip bulbs. Tulip "tupperware parties" -- yep!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037BS2RW...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

-BB
Old 09-25-2017, 05:46 AM   #2654
Recycles dryer sheets

Just finished Hillbilly Elegy. Very interesting read. Don't want to say too much about it in case you want to read it. Would recommend it, the author has a way of expressing ideas susctintly. Non fiction story discusses upward mobility.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:20 PM   #2655

I just finished "The Streak" about pro baseball players Cal Ripken's and Lou Gehrig's consecutive-game playing streaks, along with similar streaks by other baseball players in the late 19th and 20th centuries.

I am in the middle of "Not a Scientist," a book by Dave Levitan whose subtitle is "How politicians mistake, misrepresent, and utterly mangle science." This one is a great page-turner.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:53 AM   #2656
Give me a forum ...

I discovered an interesting Finnish noir author names James Thompson. Thompson was born in the US and has lived in Helsinki for decades. I read Lucifer's Tears, the second in his Inspector Vaara Series of crime novels. It is dark, amusing and a good introduction to Finnish history and culture. I put in a request at the library for Snow Angels, Book 1.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:08 AM   #2657

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I discovered an interesting Finnish noir author names James Thompson. Thompson was born in the US and has lived in Helsinki for decades. I read Lucifer's Tears, the second in his Inspector Vaara Series of crime novels. It is dark, amusing and a good introduction to Finnish history and culture. I put in a request at the library for Snow Angels, Book 1.
Read Snow Angels some time ago...will look out for Lucifer's Tears...thanks.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:22 AM   #2658
Recycles dryer sheets

Just finished Before the Fall, by Noah Hawley. Very well-written whodunit from multiple points of view.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:36 AM   #2659
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcap View Post
Just finished Before the Fall, by Noah Hawley. Very well-written whodunit from multiple points of view.
Ha. Sounded interesting on Amazon so I downloaded it from the library and discovered I already have it in my collection not yet read.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:14 AM   #2660
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Ha. Sounded interesting on Amazon so I downloaded it from the library and discovered I already have it in my collection not yet read.

I refer to that stack as "Mount Toberead."