Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-09-2017, 06:01 PM   #2681
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Thanks. I will look this one up but will first start with Mayflower by the same author Nathaniel Philbrick. ...
I'm reading Mayflower now. Like Philbrick's other books, it is really making this period of history come alive. I think he is an excellent author.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2017, 04:00 PM   #2682

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Andy Weir's, Artemis, is a quick read that is a worthy follow-on to The Martian although not in the same league.<snip>
Thanks for this post. I hadn't known that Weir had written another book so I bought it from Amazon (library didn't have it) and started reading it late this morning. I'll probably finish it tomorrow. I'm about halfway through at the point where she just escaped from the hotel room where one of the bad guys tried to slice her head off.

Agreed it's not in the same league as The Martian but I sure don't regret spending the money on the book. I'll probably donate it to the library when I'm done with it.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:35 PM   #2683
Dryer sheet aficionado

Reading A River in Darkness: One Man's Escape from North Korea. Good read so far. Makes you really appreciate the good ol USA.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:42 PM   #2684
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicamuxen View Post
Reading A River in Darkness: One Man's Escape from North Korea. Good read so far. Makes you really appreciate the good ol USA.
Got that book as an Amazon Prime freebie but haven't read it yet. Sounds like an interesting read. I spent some time in the northern part of South Korea in the early 70's and have always had an interest in the two Koreas.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 06:24 PM   #2685
Confused about dryer sheets

"Curing Cancer with Carrots" by Ann Cameron. Yes, I know the title sounds preposterous. Found this book while searching about juicing, which I've been doing for years. I was about to pass it by but the Amazon reviews piqued my curiosity and it was only $5 on the Kindle. Surprisingly good and well researched.

Coolrich, agreed about Nathaniel Philbrick's books. Very good. "In the Heart of the Sea" was excellent (though the film adaptation was not.) I put Nantucket on my travel list after reading that one. Quite a story.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:11 PM   #2686
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Got that book as an Amazon Prime freebie but haven't read it yet. Sounds like an interesting read. I spent some time in the northern part of South Korea in the early 70's and have always had an interest in the two Koreas.
Same here. Not the most well-written book, but I suspect part of the issue might be due to the translation. Regardless, the story is pretty compelling.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:53 AM   #2687
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Currently reading Midnight in Europe, set during the Spanish Civil War... another enjoyable Alan Furst novel:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/24/b...lan-furst.html

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:43 AM   #2688
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Currently reading Midnight in Europe, set during the Spanish Civil War... another enjoyable Alan Furst novel:

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/24/b...lan-furst.html
This author completely dropped off my (faulty) radar screen after 2010. Thanks for the reminder. Here is a list of his works in this Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Furst

I'll probably start back at his 2012 book: Mission to Paris
Old 12-14-2017, 09:44 AM   #2689

Quote:
This author completely dropped off my (faulty) radar screen after 2010. Thanks for the reminder. Here is a list of his works in this Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Furst

I'll probably start back at his 2012 book: Mission to Paris
Have read a number of his books....enjoyed them all.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:30 PM   #2690
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Finished Cold Earth by Ann Cleeves. This is the latest in her Shetland series of police procedurals: https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Earth-Sh.../dp/1250107385

I would give it 4 stars out of 5. I prefer her Vera series but this is good too.
Just finished listening to this. I love the books and TV adaptations of both the Shetland and Vera series, and the audible Vera books, but omg was Cold Earth a slow-moving story, really noticeable when listening.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:40 PM   #2691
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Just finished listening to this. I love the books and TV adaptations of both the Shetland and Vera series, and the audible Vera books, but omg was Cold Earth a slow-moving story, really noticeable when listening.
I think you have to enjoy it for the characterizations.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:32 PM   #2692
Recycles dryer sheets

Yesterday I started rereading Dickens' 'A Christmas Carol'.

A great book that I like to read every year during the Christmas season.
Old 12-16-2017, 01:47 PM   #2693

I just got done with Why we sleep : unlocking the power of sleep and dreams / Matthew Walker, PhD.

From a writing perspective, it's not the best layman science book in the world, but the content is often surprising. So many experiments show that getting enough good sleep is so much more important that society gives it credit for. Memory, health, aging... a huge list.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:14 PM   #2694

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
So many experiments show that getting enough good sleep is so much more important that society gives it credit for. Memory, health, aging... a huge list.
What, you woke me up just to tell me that?

Old 12-16-2017, 05:02 PM   #2695
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm about 200 pages into Ulysses Grant's new biography by Ron Chernow. It's a pretty good page turner -- I just got past Shiloh.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:22 PM   #2696

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
What, you woke me up just to tell me that?
Ha! Yeah. The book does say to put away the electronics long before bedtime, which probably include turning off the ER forum alerts.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:35 PM   #2697

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Ha! Yeah. The book does say to put away the electronics long before bedtime, which probably include turning off the ER forum alerts.
Blasphemy! "Get thee to a nunnery monastery!"

Old 12-17-2017, 07:08 AM   #2698
Give me a forum ...

My last three books were all pretty good. The Water Will Come, by Jeff Goodell, looks at the current and anticipated impact of rising seas on coastal areas, particularly major cities around the world. Sort of a prelude to Kim Stanley Robinson's fictional New York 2150 which is also good.

The Dry, by Jane Harper, is an excellent debut mystery set in a drought ridden south Australian town. The protagonist, a cop from Melbourne, returns to his home town after 20 years to attend the funeral of his best friend who allegedly killed his family and himself. He joins with a local cop to investigate that death and the death of his 16 year old girl friend when he was still in high school.

The Quantum Spy, by David Ignatius, is a thriller set in the current day CIA featuring Chinese efforts to steal our work on quantum computing. It is a well crafted, low key thriller, with endorsements from two former CIA directors.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:38 PM   #2699
Give me a forum ...

Bellevue: Three Centuries of Medicine and Mayhem at America's Most Storied Hospital, is excellent. It is a fascinating look into both Bellevue itself and American Medicine in general.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:13 PM   #2700
Give me a forum ...

The Infidel and The Professor
David Hume, Adam Smith, and the friendship that shaped modern thought

Hume and Smith were two of the greatest intellectuals of the 18th century, and also best friends. This very well written book gives the story of that friendship as well as a brief but very accessible explanation of their thoughts.