Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am now # 225 in the queue!
What queue is that? Library?

I've enjoyed a lot of walk-around-the-world or sail-around-the-world books. Here are some I've read:

Amazon.com: Worldwalk (9780380711505): Steven M. Newman: Books

Amazon.com: Tinkerbelle: Robert Manry: Books (across the Atlantic in a 13 ft sailboat).

Amazon.com: Off the Map: Bicycling Across Siberia (9781594867644): Mark Jenkins: Books

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #262
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
You can now download and read Kindle books on your PC. The application is free. I downloaded it this morning and actually like to option of reading my books this way. It is also great for the copy of Cooks Illustrated that I downloaded to my Kindle. It is much easier to use that book from the PC than from the Kindle. I am planning to down load a few more cook book.

Kindle for PC
Thanks, CB. I've downloaded it and am running it, but haven't yet figured out how to get free books onto it. I can get the free books using the instructions from this article:

Orlando Sentinel - How to download free Kindle books by Etan Horowitz

But so far I haven't figured out how to get a text file into the Kindle for PC.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:52 PM   #263
Full time employment: Posting here.

Try looking here.

Kindle Nation - The Free Weekly Email Newsletter - I.38 11.10.09 - Kindle for PC, and Thousand of New Free Books in the Kindle Store

""" Thousands of free books on your PC!

New Free Kindle for PC App Works Seamlessly
With Project Gutenberg Magic Catalog, Mobiguide, Manybooks, Feedbooks, and More!"

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:55 AM   #264
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just read Spend 'Til the End by Laurence Kotlikoff and Scott Burns. It was mentioned in another thread a couple of weeks ago and caught my attention. It's different that many of the investing books I've read - really more about behavioral economics, which I find fascinating. While not really a technical roadmap for spending, it gave me some good, new perspectives on saving, spending, annuities, and Social Security.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:25 AM   #265
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Someday, when I've got nothing else to do, and I've read all of the non-fiction that I want to....I think I may start reading some of the old classics, since I didn't read any of them as a kid! I absolutely hated reading in those days! Of course that all changed shortly after I finished high school, and no longer had to read. Plus, it was something to do while working the graveyard shift by myself for 15 years.

One day, about 30 years ago, I was in a Waldenbook store and spotted a bunch of nice leather-bound volumes on the bottom storage shelf of a display table. So I meandered over and to take a closer look to see what they were. Turns out they copies of many of the old classics...Moby Dick, Tale of Two Cities, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Ivanhoe, The Last of the Mohicans, Robinson Crusoe, and many others.

They were very nicely bound, gold-leaf stamped volumes, with gilt page edges. And they were marked down to $1 per volume just to get rid of them!!! So I broke out my wallet, and scooped up one of each title, if for no other reason than to adorn my book shelves. One of the clerks helped me get my haul out to my van, and I trucked 'em home to my ever-growing 'library'. Where they have remained for all these years, in pristine, unread condition.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #266
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I'm reading, Bike Diaries, by David Byrne (Talking Heads)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This is evidently a very popular book. I am now # 225 in the queue!

Ha
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
What queue is that? Library?

Oh, boy, I'm next on the queue! It's due to be returned to the library on the 19th. It's available as an e-book but this is one to be seen as well as read. Apparently you can see a bike traveling along by flipping thru the pages, free old-time animation. In two years I've read so many books I never saw in dead tree form.

This is from an Amazon review by Kent Peterson:

Quote:
Bicycle Diaries is a physically beautiful book, hardcover with no dust-jacket, yellow embossed letters cheerfully identify the title and author while a black silhouette of a rider draws the reader forward. An observant reader will notice a tiny bicycle peeking out from the spine at the bottom of page 11 and on each odd page thereafter the bicycle has makes more progress. Fanning forward through the pages sets the tiny typeset bicycle free, racing across the pages in the oldest style animation, persistent vision holding tight to the bike while the pages blur past.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #267
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Someday, when I've got nothing else to do, and I've read all of the non-fiction that I want to....I think I may start reading some of the old classics, since I didn't read any of them as a kid! I absolutely hated reading in those days! Of course that all changed shortly after I finished high school, and no longer had to read. Plus, it was something to do while working the graveyard shift by myself for 15 years.

One day, about 30 years ago, I was in a Waldenbook store and spotted a bunch of nice leather-bound volumes on the bottom storage shelf of a display table. So I meandered over and to take a closer look to see what they were. Turns out they copies of many of the old classics...Moby Dick, Tale of Two Cities, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Ivanhoe, The Last of the Mohicans, Robinson Crusoe, and many others.

They were very nicely bound, gold-leaf stamped volumes, with gilt page edges. And they were marked down to $1 per volume just to get rid of them!!! So I broke out my wallet, and scooped up one of each title, if for no other reason than to adorn my book shelves. One of the clerks helped me get my haul out to my van, and I trucked 'em home to my ever-growing 'library'. Where they have remained for all these years, in pristine, unread condition.
Oh GOONIE!!! You have such a treat ahead of you. Reading the classics, when you are retired and not in a rush, is something that I suspect you will really, really enjoy. Or at least I think so, from what I have read about you on the board.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #268

Here is one for the non-fiction crowd: Open Secret by Stella Rimington. This is an autobiography by the first woman Director General of MI5, Britain's FBI equivalent. She has also written some good spy fiction novels and one would like to think she is knowledgeable enough to make them realistic. Her first fiction book is At Risk and it features a female officer in MI5 in pursuit of two terrorist.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:11 AM   #269

Judge and jury by J. Patterson and Shadow prey by J. Sandford. So far reasonably good both, mainly Sandford´s.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #270

Trombone Al has mentioned Younger Next Year quite a bit on this forum and I've always wanted to read it. When browsing at B&N I found that there was one for women too. (Younger Next Year for Women ). I've really been enjoying the book. I probably won't join a gym since that didn't work out very well for me last year, but, I am walking more. I'm going to read it again and take notes this time.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #271
Give me a forum ...

Just finished two books....

My Sister's Keeper, by Jody Piccoult: terjerker about a family in which one child was conceived to be an umbilical cord cell donor for her leukemic sister......but it all spirals out of hand when the leukemic sister needs repeated donations of white cells, marrow (painful) and eventually, a kidney (risky for the donor). This is actually a plausible ethical dliemma and the characters are well developed. Not telling you how it ends.....I could empathize with the characters and enjoyed the read. I will probably see the movie. And there is reference to the author's next book, Handle with Care, which is about the family of a baby with osteogenesis imperfecta.

Also just zipped through Findependence Day, by Jonathan Chevreau, which is a recently published novella tracing the somewhat choppy progress to FIRE of a US-Canadian couple. While some of the scenes are a bit contrived (when your spouse hands you separation papers would your financial mentor be the very first person you call?) most of the relevant routes to FIRE are touched on (except that I couldn't find any reference to gold). Heck, the hero's FIRE passion is his online community, devoted to vinyl records and financial independence for boomers! Chevreau is a well regarded financial columnist in Canada and is one of the founders of Canadian Money Forum as well as a regular contributor to the Financial Webring. He's obviously checked out this forum too. My assessment: no new insights here for the sophisticates, but might be a good intro for a newbie to the FIRE concept. There is a good reading list at the end.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:54 PM   #272
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday I checked out Hothouse Orchid by Stuart Woods. Talk about phoning it in! I used to be a fan of his stuff, even though his books have always been sort of Lite Reading. This one, though, makes Louis L'amour look like Dosteoevsky. I can sort of buy the life changing relationships that happen over a day or two. And I can accept the really crappy police work that would make the Tulia TX force look like NCIS in comparison. But I couldn't suspend belief far enough to accept that 3 different major characters would suddenly relocate from all over the world to a small community around Vero Beach. And the total lack of suspense! I'd be ashamed to have this one in the young adult section of the library. I want to like Woods' books, because they are such good mind rinse material. But he's not even trying anymore.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #273

Harley: I think Stuart Woods never wrote anything better than Chiefs, which was quite entertaining.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:16 AM   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

My Sister's Keeper, by Jody Piccoult: terjerker about a family in which one child was conceived to be an umbilical cord cell donor for her leukemic sister......but it all spirals out of hand when the leukemic sister needs repeated donations of white cells, marrow (painful) and eventually, a kidney (risky for the donor). This is actually a plausible ethical dliemma and the characters are well developed. Not telling you how it ends.....I could empathize with the characters and enjoyed the read. I will probably see the movie. And there is reference to the author's next book, Handle with Care, which is about the family of a baby with osteogenesis imperfecta.
I also enjoyed My Sister's Keeper. However I have refused to see the movie as they changed the ending which to me is really kicker of this book.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:51 PM   #275
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

My Sister's Keeper, by Jody Piccoult: terjerker about a family in which one child was conceived to be an umbilical cord cell donor for her leukemic sister.....

I've read several of her books . I used to enjoy them but after awhile they all seem pretty similiar . I'm currently reading "My Life in France " by Julia Child and it is curing any insomnia I might have . The movie showed it sooo much better .
Old 11-20-2009, 02:56 PM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I've read several of her books . I used to enjoy them but after awhile they all seem pretty similiar . I'm currently reading "My Life in France " by Julia Child and it is curing any insomnia I might have . The movie showed it sooo much better .
I recently saw the movie and have to say I enjoyed it immensely. I had never thought of Julia Child as being anything other than what was seen on her in the media. It really portrayed her as someone you would want to hang out with.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #277
Give me a forum ...

I'm reading the new Michael Connelly book "Nine Dragons " . A real page turner as most of his books are .
Old 11-28-2009, 05:02 PM   #278

Started listening to "Speech-less: Tales of a White House Survivor" during our 2-hour drive to Thanksgiving dinner. Checked it out from our local library. On the third CD of 12. I'm finding it funny and entertaining. It's also scary since it describes politics from the inside.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #279

I am reading Pat Conroy's South of Broad. Nothing like Conroy when you need your Charleston, SC fix.

Free to canoe
Old 12-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #280
Give me a forum ...

Just finished Sue Grafton's U is for Undertow . It was a quick read that I could not put down . It was a little hard to follow since it kept of changing time periods but it certainly kept my attention and I would recommend it .