Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-17-2010, 10:33 PM   #321
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Christie, Murder at the Vicarage.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2010, 08:53 AM   #322
Recycles dryer sheets

Christopher Hitchens - Letters to a Young Contrarian - excellent read!

Don’t struggle so much, the best things happen when not expected. — Gabriel García Márquez
JacqJolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #323
Give me a forum ...

More important news from MA. Two famous authors died yesterday. Erich Segal (Love Story, which I never read), and the man who holds 2nd place (behind Louis L'amour) in the number of volumes in my library, Robert Parker. RIP, both.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:53 PM   #324
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
More important news from MA. Two famous authors died yesterday. Erich Segal (Love Story, which I never read), and the man who holds 2nd place (behind Louis L'amour) in the number of volumes in my library, Robert Parker. RIP, both.

Robert Parker is one of my favorites . I will really miss Spencer .
Old 01-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #325
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Having enjoyed the movie staring Matt Damon, I tried to read The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith. This novel was written in 1955 and is very well done. Tom Ripley is a true sociopath and you experience things from his point of view. I feel a little guilty for putting it down after about 75 pages, maybe it's just the winter rains now, but I just couldn't enjoy the strange views Ripley had. I'd still recommend it and the two other books in the series. DW read them and liked them.

At least try the DVD .
Old 01-21-2010, 12:27 AM   #326
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm finishing up "Rats: Observations on the history and habitat of the city's most unwanted inhabitants" by Robert Sullivan.

It's insightful, interesting, and kind of creepy. Much as I imagine a good murder mystery would be. Two thumbs up, and that's not just the health inspector talking. I mean, the guy spends a year in a NYC alley observing rats and talking to people about rats. How quirky is that? The book is great.

Next up: Hospitality Law: Applications and procedures. Required for class. I will probably not be recommending it here.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:40 AM   #327
Give me a forum ...

Urchina! Where ya been?
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:10 AM   #328
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Urchina! Where ya been?
Hi, Ed! Started taking a night class. Three hours a week in class, but massive amounts of reading and homework. So my evening time, formerly my forum time, has become my study time.

On break now (hence the non-academic reading, yay!). Will probably go back underwater for a couple of months (more or less) starting next week.

Till then.... more books on deck! (Including Shop class as Soul craft, about the nature of work).

Old 01-22-2010, 10:32 AM   #329
Give me a forum ...

I just got The Associate and 9 Dragons from the library and am looking forward to reading them both.

I recommend one of these books:

Amazon.com: Uncle John's Unsinkable Bathroom Reader (Uncle John's Bathroom Reader) (9781592239160): Bathroom Readers' Institute: Books

Not for the bathroom, but for the kitchen table. It's perfect for reading a quick item or two while eating breakfast or lunch.

Stuff like this:

Old 01-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #330
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Christie, Murder at the Vicarage.
I love Christie--a nice quick read with perfect plotting, the perp always gets caught, but you can't always tell whodunnit even though all the clues are right there!

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #331

Trombone: I think you´ll enjoy The Associate, even though it´ll remind you of another one by Grisham. I won´t tell you which one, just in case I spoil something. Anyway, you´ll find out soon enough....
Old 01-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #332
Give me a forum ...

Well, it turns out that I didn't like it (The Associate). I gave up after 67 pages. I didn't like the way the plot was turning out. I thought maybe it would get better, so I checked Amazon reviews, and it only got 2.5 stars. Now, on to 9 Dragons.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:47 AM   #333
Give me a forum ...

I just read David Finkle's, The Good Soldiers, which follows 15 month's of a Battalion's deployment in the Iraq surge. Harrowing stuff that doesn't really get brought home through the nightly news. It is probably the best book I have read on the war. It doesn't take a position on whether the surge was a good idea or a bad one. It just tries to look at the experience through the eyes of one group of participants. I would hazard a guess that the soldiers portrayed think Finkle did a good job of it.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #334

Read The Second Death of Goodluck Tinubu by Michael Stanley. About a Botswana detective inspector who is investigating a double homicide at a game park camp/resort. Has a likeable hero and gives us some insights into life in Botswana. Also there is some discussion of the politics between the neighboring countries. Botswana shares borders with some troubled African neighbors. Interesting to read about a country I'll probably never actually visit. Well written too and contains a good map, character list, and back has a glossary.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #335

A year or so ago, I started War and Peace...ha...gave up on that. Maybe someday I'll start over and try again. Determined I would complete something by Tolstoy, I am now reading Anna Karinina. So far, I think I'll be able to complete it. According to Kindle, I'm 33% through it. I think I've finally sorted out all Russian named characters.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #336

Sail by James Patterson and Howard Roughan, Dirt by Stuart Woods, Killjoy by Julie Garwood and Killer Smile by Lisa Scottoline. I am not improving my mind, but I am having fun reading fluff.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #337

The Turnaround by G. Pelecanos. No Second Chance by H. Coben. Both very good.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:25 PM   #338
Give me a forum ...

I just finished

Amazon.com: American on Purpose: The Improbable Adventures of an Unlikely Patriot (9780061719547): Craig Ferguson: Books

Excellent book, highly recommended. I rate it a 9.5/10. This guy was a drunk and an addict for many years, and led a tough life growing up in Scotland.

Craig Ferguson is the host of the late late show, which I began watching recently.

A fun thing is that book, his autobiography, mentions something from his past (like a sitcom he was in), you can check it out on Youtube.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #339
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I just finished

Amazon.com: American on Purpose: The Improbable Adventures of an Unlikely Patriot (9780061719547): Craig Ferguson: Books

Excellent book, highly recommended. I rate it a 9.5/10. This guy was a drunk and an addict for many years, and led a tough life growing up in Scotland.

Craig Ferguson is the host of the late late show, which I began watching recently.

A fun thing is that book, his autobiography, mentions something from his past (like a sitcom he was in), you can check it out on Youtube.
I am an avid fan of Craig Ferguson's Late Late Show. Somehow he tickles my Celtic sensibility with the double entendre, the ambiguity, and the murky past. Based on Al's review, I'm putting his memoir on my reading list. Should make great airplane reading!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #340
Give me a forum ...

P.S. I meant to write "A fun thing is that when the book, his autobiography, mentions something... "