Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #361
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In that vein, Two Years Before the Mast is good. I think I read it twice.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2010, 07:42 PM   #362
Give me a forum ...

A Failure of Capitalism, by jurist Richard Posner. It is about our recent problems in the economy, which he calls a depression. I like his way of thinking, but he is a polymath and thinks he knows more of the details of non-legal fields than he really does.

However, he really does know a lot! And his thinker works quite well.

An interesting thing is that he seems to be neither a conservative nor a liberal. He seems to approach each question openly with modest pre-existing ideas other than whatever solution is chosen, it ought to have a high probability of helping at least somewhat, and a low probability of making things worse.

Ha
Old 02-23-2010, 07:56 AM   #363
Give me a forum ...

I recently finished one of the best mysteries I have read in years. The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo, by Stieg Larsson, follows a Swedish Reporter and a 23 year old girl with Asparger's syndrome as they track down the story on the disappearance of a 16 year old girl 45 years ago. Good plot, nice twists, interesting setting in rural Sweden. Unfortunately, Larsson only has two books in him - he died shortly after turning the two manuscripts in to his publisher. His second, The Girl Who Played With Fire, is waiting for pickup at the library.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #364
Give me a forum ...

Hey Don, they made that book into a movie called Män Som Hatar Kvinnor (Men Who Hate Women). In Swedish and it probably has English subtitles. We saw it and it's quite good. Same for the second one (Flickan some Lekte med Elden), which we haven't seen.

Lena says there are three books by Larsson, the third being "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest."
Old 02-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #365
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Hey Don, they made that book into a movie called Män Som Hatar Kvinnor (Men Who Hate Women). In Swedish and it probably has English subtitles. We saw it and it's quite good. Same for the second one (Flickan some Lekte med Elden), which we haven't seen.

Lena says there are three books by Larsson, the third being "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest."
Thanks Al. I didn't know about the movies or the third book. I will have to get them all.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #366
Give me a forum ...

I got the movie from Lena's Mom in Sweden. It looks like it will be released here "in 2010."
Old 02-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #367
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Look for my signature line as you read it! I didn't get it from a quotation website or other canned collection of quotations - - it was a sentence of Melville's that really spoke to me (as did the entire book).
I will. So many good books to read / intersting ideas. Makes me glad I am ERed!

Free to canoe
Old 02-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #368
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow! That is a persuasive review of The Investor's Manifesto. I had not even considered buying it but now I might.

I think reading Bernstein's Four Pillars of Investing was an invaluable experience for developing good investment instincts, and I have read it three times and recommend it to all, but it is also so boring I could almost puke. But if Bernstein has improved his writing skills, The Investor's Manifesto could be fantastic. Guess I will read it after all.
I downloaded a free sample of The Investor's Manifesto, skimmed it, and saw his writing style is MUCH improved compared to 4 Pillars.
I just downloaded it to my Kindle for $9.99.
TY to both W2R and lsbcal for the tips about this book.
I haven't read any serious investing books for a long time, so I'm overdue for a refresher.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #369
Give me a forum ...

Just finished Rebecca Goldstein's, 36 Arguments for the Existence of God. Goldstein is a philosopher and a MacArthur Genius Award winner. This novel satirizes the inanity of academe while seriously exploring the "new atheism" and a lot of interesting things about Hassidic Judaism. It is funny and deep at the same time.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:40 PM   #370
Gone but not forgotten

Just finished Lisa Scottoline's "Look Again". Great book I could not put it down .
Old 03-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #371
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been reading every diabetes book ever written. Ugh. What a mish-mash of conflicting information is out there. Even the ADA seems to have outdated info.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:34 AM   #372

The new Highlights For Children is in! Now where did I put those crayons?
Old 03-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #373
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUM View Post
The new Highlights For Children is in! Now where did I put those crayons?

I love Highlights! I got it myself when I was in elementary school, and that was pretty long ago. 40 years of working with kids under the age of 11 changes your perspective on everything.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #374
Moderator Emeritus

Is Goofus and Gallant still around?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 03-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #375
Give me a forum ...

I read Amazon.com: Between the Bridge and the River (9780811853750): Craig Ferguson: Books. It was very creative, but a little too much. New characters every several pages, and it was hard to keep track of them. I rated it a 6.

I'm enjoying Amazon.com: The Autobiography of Ben Franklin (9781595475725): Benjamin Franklin: Books, recommended here.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:22 AM   #376
Give me a forum ...

Finished The Girl Who Played With Fire, Steig Larsson's second book. If anything, this one is better than the first. This guy is a real loss to mystery lovers. My library doesn't have the third and last book yet.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:27 AM   #377
Full time employment: Posting here.

Currently reading An Empire of wealth
Amazon.com: Empire of Wealth, An eBook: John Steele Gordon: Kindle Store

This is an economic history of the United States.

Hubby and I are also watching the Great Courses DVDs "The History of the United States". This has been good since it puts the current economic and political situation in context for us. The founding and building of this country as always been tumultuous. These times are more of the same. We will get through this.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I recently finished one of the best mysteries I have read in years. The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo, by Stieg Larsson, follows a Swedish Reporter and a 23 year old girl with Asparger's syndrome as they track down the story on the disappearance of a 16 year old girl 45 years ago. Good plot, nice twists, interesting setting in rural Sweden. Unfortunately, Larsson only has two books in him - he died shortly after turning the two manuscripts in to his publisher. His second, The Girl Who Played With Fire, is waiting for pickup at the library.
I read that one last week when I was on vacation. I thought it was really well written, it's was not as if halfway thru the book it was obvious what the ending would be. I want to read the second one, but will likely wait for it to come out in paperback.

With regards to the movie, I read somewhere that they suggested seeing the original version in Swedish with the subtitles, not sure if it is was because someone had seen the English language version and thought it wasn't as good.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #379
Recycles dryer sheets

Well I've got to mention the last two books I've read. One took 3 weeks and one took 3 days. I'll let the reader determine which is which.

Well I finally read Atlas Shrugged. This I first became interested in via this thread (or possibly a similar one at Bogelhead's) then also noticed that it appeared on all "Best of" lists that I've every seen. So after many months on "my list" at the library I charged ahead.

Great book! (duh ..) Of course I liked how the generally discussed social-economic theme is presented and do feel that I'm now looking at current (and historical) events a little differently. (Do we really need to be involved in that ... ; insert program of the day etc.)

BUT ... what I was really impressed with was so much more. Things that I had either not paid attention to or hadn't heard from people recommending this book. This book is a riveting mystery, an action packed adventure series (train wrecks, plane wrecks, pirates, commando raids, etc.), a great sci-fi book with things and widgets that would make Jules Verne proud, and last but not least a wonderful love story that has some scenes that I'm sure had parts of 1957 America up in arms! Any how, liked the book. (Gee do you think maybe it's a classic for some reason??)

Next book (which may or may not have been mentioned on this thread) was Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. This is also somewhat of a mystery, adventure, and love story all mixed together. First line of Chaper 1 goes something like: "I'm 90. Or 93. One or the other." The lead character is in a nursing home and you get the warmth and humor that you have to accept at these places. (Quick plug for Amigoland which also has excellent "nursing home humor".) But the lead character goes on to tell the story of his life with the circus during the depression. Wonderful story that just cannot be put down. (See first paragraph of this post.)

Sorry this is so long.

t.r.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:30 PM   #380

I agree about Water for Elephants. A very nice read.

In the last six months I've read the first 13 (of 21) of the "Master and Commander" series of books by Patrick O'Brian. They are a thundering good read if you like adventure, comraderie, and don't mind getting to know the difference between the knees and the futtocks, a skysail and a stunsail, and the cat head and the dog watch on early 19th century English naval ships. Lots of action, intrigue, and even a little history thrown in. The books focus on the lives and careers of Jack Aubrey, a big, bold, intellectually limited naval captain and his friend Dr. Steven Maturin, who is an intellectual, surgeon, naturalist, spy, and a dunderhead when it comes to ships and sailing them!
Closed Thread