Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-13-2010, 09:17 PM   #381
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have recently listened to $20 per gallon : how the inevitable rise in the price of gasoline will change our lives for the better , by Christopher Steiner, which is about....well, exactly what it says it's about. An interesting speculation about how the eventual rise in gas prices will affect everyday life.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #382
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here's another mention of Water for Elephants. I'd rate it a 9/10 or 10/10.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #383
Give me a forum ...

I'm just finishing The Quants: How a New Breed of Math Whizzes Conquered Wall Street and Nearly Destroyed It, by Scott Patterson. This is an inside seat to the hedge fund strategies that contributed to the collapse and the stomach churning roller coaster they found themselves on. Very good read.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:39 PM   #384
Recycles dryer sheets

The Winds of Dune by Brian Herbert & Kevin Anderson.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:14 AM   #385
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just wrapping up "Scratch Beginnings: Me, $25, and the search for the American Dream." It's a direct response to Barbara Ehrenbach's "Nickel and Dimed" in which the protagonist, just out of college, embarks on his own life experiment -- starting with just $25, a sleeping bag, the clothes on his back and an empty duffel bag, can he make it? "Making it" is defined as, at the end of a year, having an operable vehicle, a place to live that is furnished, and $2500 in the bank -- basically, the foundation for further advancement.

Interestingly written, and feels much more honest than Ehrenbach's books, which felt like cop-outs to me. Definitely a recommend.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:31 AM   #386

I'm at home nursing a cold so I am fortunate that I have a library book on hand...Teddy Kennedy's autobiography "True Compass"(2009). It makes for a very good, entertaining read regardless of one's politics. Just finished it.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #387

I just finished 10,001 Ways to Live Large on a Small Budget by the writers of Wise Bread. A good read, although many of course are irrelevant to some people.

I just started $20 Per Gallon: How the Inevitable Rise in the Price of Gasoline Will Change Our Lives for the Better by Christopher Steiner. That does give one pause.

I would keep my full-size GMC pickup truck (we do use those capabilities) but at $500 for a fill-up it sure wouldn't get much use. No point trying to sell it - who'd want it anyway? 50cc scooters would be very popular.

Air travel would once again be the province of only the very wealthy. And so on....
Old 03-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #388
Confused about dryer sheets

Reading a book that's changing my POV on world history- J.M. Roberts' New (Penguin) History of the World. It is a challenging read. His sentence structure is very complex but more importantly, practically every paragraph yields a profound philosophical observation from this great British scholar. Yes, he has a deep-seated "Eurocentric" bias-- after all, he did write The Triumph of the West. I'd like to think I can keep his prejudice in perspective and benefit from his thought. (Roberts was Ward of Merton College, a post recognizing a foremost British intellect continuously since the 1200's). It's not a history book with a list of events, telling their significance in comtemporary context. It's subtly different-- a look through a long lens at how the big currents of history brought the world to its various stages of development, stretching from hominid evolution to the present day. Its packed with provocative, delicious ideas and falls into neither sophistry or semiotics. Be prepared to spend time ploughing through it though; a worthwhile companion is a copy of the Random House Timetables of History. Powell's Books - by

BTW, my guilty pleasure is reading No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency books, I've finished all 10 and can't wait for the next book due in April! I'm also re-reading Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany-- an exquisite book, one to get lost in for hours.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #389

Just read A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick. It was an ok book, it wasn't a waste of my time as I read it on a flight. However, would not say it's one you must read.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:41 PM   #390
Give me a forum ...

Travel reading over the past two weeks:

The Bishop's Man by Linden McIntyre. Won the Giller Prize this year. Well written exploration of the life of a lonely priest whose job it is to manage colleagues who become child abusers. The abuse is a travesty that affects many people. Would have liked to see the main character more critically question his faith, but in reality he had nowhere else to go.

Handle with Care by Jodi Piccoult. This is the second book I have read by this author, who also wrote My Sister's Keeper. She specializes in medical - ethical dilemmas. Entertaining enough for travel, but a bit sensationalistic.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #391
Give me a forum ...

Skimming for now, but will read thoroughly in coming weeks...
Everything Family Guide to Coastal Florida [Kindle edition]
It is really fascinating to see what there is to do in FL without going to the usual theme parks.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:24 PM   #392
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmundo View Post
Reading a book that's changing my POV on world history- J.M. Roberts' New (Penguin) History of the World. It is a challenging read. His sentence structure is very complex but more importantly, practically every paragraph yields a profound philosophical observation from this great British scholar. Yes, he has a deep-seated "Eurocentric" bias-- after all, he did write The Triumph of the West. I'd like to think I can keep his prejudice in perspective and benefit from his thought. (Roberts was Ward of Merton College, a post recognizing a foremost British intellect continuously since the 1200's). It's not a history book with a list of events, telling their significance in comtemporary context. It's subtly different-- a look through a long lens at how the big currents of history brought the world to its various stages of development, stretching from hominid evolution to the present day. Its packed with provocative, delicious ideas and falls into neither sophistry or semiotics. Be prepared to spend time ploughing through it though; a worthwhile companion is a copy of the Random House Timetables of History. Powell's Books - by

BTW, my guilty pleasure is reading No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency books, I've finished all 10 and can't wait for the next book due in April! I'm also re-reading Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany-- an exquisite book, one to get lost in for hours.
You get the all time ER.org prize for the most erudite first post!

Ha
Old 03-28-2010, 07:25 AM   #393
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
You get the all time ER.org prize for the most erudite first post!

Ha
+1 - I hadn't caught the first post aspect. Welcome to the board Edmundo.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #394
Give me a forum ...

The avatar is less erudite -- I think -- I can't tell what it is.

I put the first No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency book on hold, thanks Edmundo.

I'm halfway through Pegasus Descending by James Lee Burke. Enjoyable reading, and I see that he has many more books out, so I have lots more good future reading to look forward to.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
...(snip)...
I put the first No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency book on hold, thanks Edmundo.
There is also a TV series produced (I think) for a British audience. Best to see after reading some of Smith McCall's series. You can rent it out via Netflix. The DVD came with an interview with the author as well as some interesting comments on Botswana.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:54 PM   #396
Give me a forum ...

Just finished Pegasus Descending, which got a little too complex and messy towards the end, so I only rate it a 7/10.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #397
Full time employment: Posting here.

Started Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte several weeks ago but just got around to finishing it today. Woo, what a strange book! Anybody else read it? What the hell happened to Heathcliff in the end? To me the reader is left wondering whether Catherine's spirit finally claimed him or did he finally commit suicide/willed himself to die still distraught over his unfulfilled love for Catherine? His death is as strange as his life.
Old 03-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #398

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Just finished Pegasus Descending, which got a little too complex and messy towards the end, so I only rate it a 7/10.
That describes a lot of the Dave Robichaux stories. Still, I like the stories even though the "cop with a drinking problem" has been overdone, Burke does it well, so I think I'll hit half-priced books to look for it.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:12 AM   #399

Death of a Red Heroine is a mystery novel but also offers an insiders look at China in the early 1990's, after the Tiananmen Square protests were suppressed. The author Qiu Xiaolong now lives in the US but apparently still can visit China. The book discusses the trauma the people suffered during the Cultural Revolution. It's a good background for understanding today's China. The story is about a young detective inspector and his investigation into the death of a beautiful woman who was a national role-model worker in Shanghai.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:48 AM   #400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
Started Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte several weeks ago but just got around to finishing it today. Woo, what a strange book! Anybody else read it? What the hell happened to Heathcliff in the end? To me the reader is left wondering whether Catherine's spirit finally claimed him or did he finally commit suicide/willed himself to die still distraught over his unfulfilled love for Catherine? His death is as strange as his life.
Interesting you should say that. This book was recently on PBS as a BBC production in the Masterpiece series. I couldn't even watch it after the first 20 minutes as it came across as so dark and depressing, so sorry can't help you out.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote