Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #401
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm reading "The Last Surgeon " by Michael Palmer . It's just okay .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #402
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just finished re-reading "Nickel and Dimed" by Barbara Ehrenreich....and am now reading "Bait and Switch" and "Re-making Love" by her. I just love her stuff!

Old 03-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #403
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just listened to The Dark Tide by Andrew Gross. Below average.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #404

I just finished The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. I never saw the movie, so it was all new to me and I really enjoyed it. I think it's likely to appeal more to women than to men.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #405
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
That describes a lot of the Dave Robichaux stories. Still, I like the stories even though the "cop with a drinking problem" has been overdone, Burke does it well, so I think I'll hit half-priced books to look for it.
I like his earliest Robichaux books better than the ones from the last few years. After a while they just got to be too much. Too much violence and too much bad news.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:14 PM   #406
Recycles dryer sheets

I just read "A Pearl in the Storm" by Tori Murden McClure. She is the first woman to row across the Atlantic ocean. I would not have read the book--but I heard her speak and was impressed with how articulate she was. The book is very well written and I recommend it.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:54 PM   #407
Dryer sheet wannabe

I thoroughly enjoyed Bel Canto by Ann Patchett. It's about the relationships that develop between captives and captors during an extended hostage situation. Just beautifully written. It's now my favorite book - and I'm an avid reader.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #408
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREngineer View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed Bel Canto by Ann Patchett. It's about the relationships that develop between captives and captors during an extended hostage situation. Just beautifully written. It's now my favorite book - and I'm an avid reader.
I have seen this book and I assumed it was about opera!
Old 04-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #409
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I have seen this book and I assumed it was about opera!
It is a bit. One of the main characters is an opera singer and everyone has gathered to hear her perform when the hostage takers take over. So there is a decent amount of discussion about music and opera.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #410
Give me a forum ...

Just finished, From Eternity to Here: The Quest for the Ultimate Theory of Time by Sean M. Carroll. It is a fairly dense read for the average Joe - although no substantial math is needed. Carroll spends a lot time delving into the details of the 2nd law of thermodynamics to give us background to understand why he doesn't like some popular explanations for why our early universe had a stunningly low entropy. I like his speculations on a possible "baby universe" version of the multiverse concept but there is a lot of info leading up to it. Worth a read if you are a cosmology junkie like me.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #411

I'm now #23 on the waiting list for From Eternity to Here at our library. Seems to be a popular read. There is a nice video intro by the author here Amazon.com: From Eternity to Here: The Quest for the Ultimate Theory of Time (9780525951339): Sean Carroll: Books

It's been a long time since I took that statistical mechanics class and I never really felt like I had an intuitive grasp of some of that stuff. Maybe this book will help?
Old 04-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #412
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
I'm now #23 on the waiting list for From Eternity to Here at our library. Seems to be a popular read. There is a nice video intro by the author here Amazon.com: From Eternity to Here: The Quest for the Ultimate Theory of Time (9780525951339): Sean Carroll: Books

It's been a long time since I took that statistical mechanics class and I never really felt like I had an intuitive grasp of some of that stuff. Maybe this book will help?
It is a good read and will help with the conceptual stuff but it doesn't get into the underlying math. I was surprised to get it right away when I ordered it at the library.

There is another cosmology book that was excellent, it may be "The God Effect," but I am not sure. I definitely read The God Effect but I am not sure if that was the one I liked a lot or if it was another
Old 04-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #413
Administrator

I am on my third book in about three days since I got my Kindle.

1. Mr. New Orleans: The Life of a Big Easy Underworld Legend, by Frenchy Brioullette and M Randazzo. This book was just published a month ago and I had never heard of it. Turns out it is DYNAMITE but only if you are very, very familiar with New Orleans and the French Quarter. Non-residents probably wouldn't know the people in it and wouldn't understand, because he writes as though he is writing for New Orleanians French Quarter Rats. Those interested in the JFK assassination might find it fills in some blanks, though it might seem pretty incomprehensible in other aspects if you haven't been familiar with the Quarter and its denizens for some time.

2. Lies the Government Told you: Myth, Power, and Deception in American History by Andrew Napolitano. This book is articulate, clear, well referenced, and very well written. You will love it if your political leanings are similar to Napolitano's, as are mine. If not, fuggetaboutit!

3. The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown. EVERYBODY knows about this book and has read it already. I am catching up. So far, it's fun! Great light reading.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #414

I just finished Waking the Dead by Scott Spencer. It is not my normal type of book and I am glad that I am finally done with it.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #415
Give me a forum ...

I am reading Jonathan Kellerman 's "True Detectives " . It takes a little while to figure out all the characters but otherwise it's a can not put down .
Old 04-06-2010, 08:03 AM   #416
Confused about dryer sheets

I love Ken Follet books! "Pillars of the Earth" and "World without End" were wonderful. Could not put them down. It took 18 years to write "World without End", but was worth it. I wish he would write more!
Old 04-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #417
Give me a forum ...

I finished "True Detectives " which was very good and I now started "Killer Smile " by Lisa Scottline . I've read a few of her books and they are always entertaining .
Old 04-07-2010, 08:07 PM   #418

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Interesting you should say that. This book was recently on PBS as a BBC production in the Masterpiece series. I couldn't even watch it after the first 20 minutes as it came across as so dark and depressing, so sorry can't help you out.
It is dark and depressing but strangely a facinating read. It's probably the strangest book in English Literature. You could only imagine how scathing the reviews were at the time of publication.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #419
Give me a forum ...

Just finished The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo, a Norwegian writer. Its a very good mystery involving a modern day Oslo detective trying to stop a possible assassination by a Norwegian who fought against Russia on the German side in WWII. Good enough that I put in a library call on Nemesis, Nesbo's second novel featuring Detective Harry Hole.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:59 PM   #420
Administrator

Finished reading (on my Kindle)
1. Mr. New Orleans: The Life of a Big Easy Underworld Legend, by Frenchy Brioullette and M Randazzo,
2. Lies the Government Told you: Myth, Power, and Deception in American History by Andrew Napolitano, and
3. The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown.

So, on my Kindle I'm now tackling:

4. Bogleheads' Guide to Retirement Planning, by Laura Dogu. Some is stuff that I should have learned 10 years ago, but it is interesting to see what I might have missed and it is well written. Much of it could still be very useful to me now in retirement. I am about halfway through and immersed in it. The chapters are written by a variety of Bogleheads on their individual areas of expertise, and are very clear and intelligent as one might expect.

5. Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo, unabridged version which I last read in 1960 and it was worth $1.95. Ah! The tugs on my heartstrings.

6. War and Peace, by L. Tolstoy, unabridged version is free for the Kindle and is another that I have not read since 1960. I just downloaded it and it is next in line for me. I think it will mean far more to me now than it did when I was so young. Between Les Miserables and War and Peace, you will probably next hear from me on this thread in about a year.