Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #421
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Two movies that came out in 1953 when I was about 5 or 6 made deep impressions on me. So much so that I could recall many of the scenes (almost word for word) some 30 or 40 years later when I saw them on TV for the first time. The movies were "Titanic" and "Beneath the 12 Mile Reef". Both had starring roles for Robert Wagner. I can't say Wagner was a favorite actor over the years, but I've been aware of him as his career has developed. His love affair(s) with Natalie Wood were legend and I always thought she was just about the most beautiful actress who ever lived.

So when I got a free copy of Wagner's book "Pieces of My Heart", I decided to read it. What I discovered was a personality that was similar to my own. I could identify closely with his feelings and attitudes. Our Myers/Briggs ratings must be similar. For instance, in the movie business, even under the old "studio system", people could be and often were treated pretty shabbily. Wagner held few grudges and probably (like me) needed fewer than the fingers on one hand to count the folks he detested throughout his career. There were those who cheated him and those who mistreated him, but he took most of it in stride and could appreciate folks for their good points and balance those against their foibles. Let's face it, those in the arts (and I'm NOT one of them) are quite complex. Wagner was able to forgive a lot and appreciate people for who they were. I like that sort of approach and seem to have adopted it in my life.

I personally like non-fiction and especially biography of people I've "grown up" with. I'm no literature critic, but I'd have to say I very much enjoyed the read. The book has whetted my appetite for more biography of contemporaries.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #422
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Definitely not for everyone and not light reading, but A New Earth has had a profound effect on my thinking, including erasing 'one more year syndrome' from my ER decision-making. It was suggested to me on another thread here, I had never heard of it and never would have even looked at it otherwise. I had one 'a-ha' moment after another reading it.

You'll know after Chapter 1 whether to continue or not, most people won't make it that far - and that's perfectly fine. As remarkable as it was/is to me at age 55, I would have dismissed it as utter nonsense after the first 5 pages - for most of my life from age 0-50 or so.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #423

I just read, Step On A Crack, by James Patterson. Very entertaining and a quick read. I am halfway through with The Maze by Catherine Coulter and I am enjoying it also.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #424

After struggling very slowly thru Anna Karenina I finally finished it. Since then, I've done some very slow, easy reading. Dear John by Nicholas Sparks and Distant Shores by Kristin Hannah they were easy and enjoyable especially after Anna.

I borrowed The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo from my daughter and just started that book. My daughter warned me that I might be offended by it in some way...like she was my mother or something warning me about my reading material. Boy, she has a lot to learn about me.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #425
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I borrowed The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo from my daughter and just started that book. My daughter warned me that I might be offended by it in some way...like she was my mother or something warning me about my reading material. Boy, she has a lot to learn about me.
I saw that movie and almost did not last through it. If I had not been with others I would have left. It was maybe the most grotesquely violent movie I have seen. My eyes were closed a lot.

I hope that stuff is easier to take on the printed page.

Ha
Old 04-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I saw that movie and almost did not last through it. If I had not been with others I would have left. It was maybe the most grotesquely violent movie I have seen. My eyes were closed a lot.

Ha
Wow...maybe my daughter was right! I won't go to the movie...thanks for the warning.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #427

Madrid by C.J. Sansom is the story of a neophyte British spy sent to WW2 Spain to investigate his old British school friend suspected of strong ties to a right wing Spanish group. This book is rooted in good historical research and discusses the different factions on the right and left in "neutral" Spain after the Spanish Civil War. I really enjoyed reading this one as I always felt like I did not have a good grasp of the opposing political views in Spain during and after the civil war.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
Ha, I found it very hard to read, it made me cry at what she went through. Actually what I took away from that scene and the person inflicting the pain, is that there are a lot of vulnerable people out there, who just because they are a little bit different from the norm, are taken advantage of by some people with power. It was very sad and very hard to read, I can only imagine how terrible it is to watch.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #429
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Ha, I found it very hard to read, it made me cry at what she went through. Actually what I took away from that scene and the person inflicting the pain, is that there are a lot of vulnerable people out there, who just because they are a little bit different from the norm, are taken advantage of by some people with power. It was very sad and very hard to read, I can only imagine how terrible it is to watch.
I saw the movie yesterday (Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) and read the book a few weeks ago. I liked both but I think reading the book better prepares you for Lizbeth's treatment by and treatment of her guardian. There is a lot of background that is lost in a brief movie treatment. The comparison with her former (caring) guardian is night and day. I agree with DM that the guardian relationship highlights the precarious situations wards of the state can find themselves in.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #430

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
Madrid by C.J. Sansom is the story of a neophyte British spy sent to WW2 Spain to investigate his old British school friend suspected of strong ties to a right wing Spanish group. This book is rooted in good historical research and discusses the different factions on the right and left in "neutral" Spain after the Spanish Civil War. I really enjoyed reading this one as I always felt like I did not have a good grasp of the opposing political views in Spain during and after the civil war.
I donŽt think there was any significant political opposition after our Civil War when WWII. Franco took care of that in no uncertain way.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:53 PM   #431

Starting "The Lincoln lawyer" by M. Connelly. It looks promising.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #432
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post

All of his books are great !
Old 04-14-2010, 03:47 PM   #433

I'd seen The Wealthy Barber recommended from time to time, but I always avoided it, probably due to the goofy title.

Picked it up used the other day. I'm halfway through, and all I can say is, If only I could have read a book like this in my 20s....
Old 04-14-2010, 04:07 PM   #434

Quote:
I donŽt think there was any significant political opposition after our Civil War when WWII. Franco took care of that in no uncertain way.
Hi Vicente, just to clarify I do not mean to say that the right and left were equally represented in Spain after Franco came to power. The book is quite clear on the extremes of the civil war and the aftermath. Regarding the far left and what today we might call the center plus the right and far right, the book goes into the various factions during the civil war. This was interesting to me. BTW, there was a character in the book named Vicente (one of the good guys).

Les
Old 04-14-2010, 08:59 PM   #435
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I am sure you are right about this, Danger. I have never been able to deal with violent movies, especially when it involves sexual violence as this one did.

I went with two Swedes and two Americans. I asked if the attack by the thugs in the subway station was a realistic possibility. The Swedes said yes, a realistic possibility, but not common.

Ha
Old 04-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #436

Quote:
Thanks for bringing that up. His Harry Bosch novels are excellent, and I see that I've missed two recent additions - which means it's time for a trip to the half-priced book store.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #437
Give me a forum ...

I just finished Jason Lanier's, You are not a Gadget. I recommend this for those interested in speculations on the Internet and visions of the future. Lanier is an Internet graybeard (or, more accurately, dread-locks) who invented the term "virtual reality" and was Richard Stallman's roomate at the dawn of the free software movement. Lanier's book is a manifesto counseling humanism in contrast to what he views as trends that reduce the value/position of the individual reflected in many current notions like the "noosphere" and the coming "singularity," and incorporated in many aspects of the "Web 2.0" orthodoxy. Lanier is a close friend to many of the leaders of the "movement" he decries. I can't say I fully agree with everything he has to say but he presents some interesting ideas and fascinating digressions.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:30 PM   #438
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm almost done with "One Nation Under Dog" by Michael Schaffer, a very fun and intelligent read about the burgeoning pet business and the cultural and social shifts in perceptions about pets that underly it. It's reminiscent in style to Fast Food Nation or The Year of Living Biblically (both also very interesting). It's also not really a taxing book -- I checked it out of the library this morning on a whim and have worked through 3/4 of it so far today, in addition to multiple errands, cooking, housework and meals.... you get the idea. Recommend, especially for the social change and dog folks among us.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #439

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
Hi Vicente, just to clarify I do not mean to say that the right and left were equally represented in Spain after Franco came to power. The book is quite clear on the extremes of the civil war and the aftermath. Regarding the far left and what today we might call the center plus the right and far right, the book goes into the various factions during the civil war. This was interesting to me. BTW, there was a character in the book named Vicente (one of the good guys).

Les
Hi Les! IŽll try to find and read the book. If only to get to meet that "good guy character"
Old 04-16-2010, 02:35 PM   #440

Quote:
Hi Les! IŽll try to find and read the book. If only to get to meet that "good guy character"
Hi Vicente, just a heads up that in Madrid some of the good guy characters do not meet good endings. I don't want to spoil the suspense by saying who survives and who does not -- but it was WW2 .