Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #461
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Listening to "An apt pupil" by S. King and reading "Hold tight" by H. Coben. Both good.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2010, 07:25 PM   #462
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
Just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and I am sorry to say that I found it a very irritating book. It is set in Sweden and has altogether too many sentences like this:
Get it?
Well, I didn't either.
I began to resent having to Google up Swedish politicians and business leaders just to figure out what the references were about.

In addition there were so many characters that the book included a family tree and a table of characters.

Not going to continue reading the series.
I have to disagree. I picked up "The Girl Who Played With Fire" because I needed something to read on a trip; I really didn't know much about the series. I must say it is one of the best books I have ever read. I then got "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" and have read that - I didn't find it quite as good, but still excellent. I have pre-ordered "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" because I can't wait for the paperback to come out.

The books are quite wordy and full of Swedish references (I personally loved the IKEA shopping trip, as I enjoy the IKEA stores) and filled with violence against women, but I have found them to be as compelling as any I have read in a long time. I have recommended them to anyone who will listen!

Old 05-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #463
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
Just finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and I am sorry to say that I found it a very irritating book. It is set in Sweden and has altogether too many sentences like this:
Get it?
Well, I didn't either.
I began to resent having to Google up Swedish politicians and business leaders just to figure out what the references were about.

In addition there were so many characters that the book included a family tree and a table of characters.

Not going to continue reading the series.
If you like Scandinavian crime noves, I recommend Jų Nesbo's Harry Hole series. There are several in the series, with the typical smart, dedicated cop plagued by difficulties and setbacks in his personal life and in the political situation at copworld. I have read Redbreast and Nemesis, both quite good.

Ha
Old 05-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #464
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
... featuring detective Harry Hole...

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #465
Give me a forum ...

These are also very good -- I've read them all:

Amazon.com: sjowall and wahloo
Old 05-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #466

A couple of vacation reads:
Amagansett by Mark Mills. In 1947 a young woman from a wealthy family drowns off the coast of a fishing village. A newly arrived policeman to this village investigates the murder but unknown to him so does the fisherman who found her. Very well written novel and well researched period piece.

The Careful Use of Compliments by Alexander McCall Smith. Isabel is a delightful Edinburgh character who edits a philosophical journal and is always questioning her ethical stance on things (paper or plastic?). McCall-Smith's books in this series just keep getting better as the characters develop. I think the first novel in this series is The Sunday Philosophy Club. All of McCall-Smith's books are pretty short reads so you do not have to invest a lot to check them out. Not all of the mysteries involve deaths and many are somewhat unconventional and refreshing.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #467
Give me a forum ...

Amazon.com: Dead Watch: John Sandford: Books

A little contrived and complicated, but entertaining. 7/10.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #468
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
These are also very good -- I've read them all:

Amazon.com: sjowall and wahloo
They are terrific, I think some of the best police novels ever written. My BIL touted them to me back in the 70s. I went back to reread them and they are not at all dated, as I experienced the read. But I more or less decided not to continue to re-read them, because they are so depressing. One of the authors committed suicide.

I am reading and enjoying the Rector of Justin, by Louis Auchincloss.

Ha
Old 05-25-2010, 08:19 AM   #469

Dead Wrong by Mariah Stewart and Dark of the Moon by John Sandford. I enjoyed both of them.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #470

"The way home" by G. Pelecanos. As always, he is great.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #471
Give me a forum ...

I am reading Pat Conroy's " South of Broad " .
Old 05-25-2010, 03:09 PM   #472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I am reading Pat Conroy's " South of Broad " .
Did you enjoy that read? I looked at it for a few minutes the other night at the bookstore (read the back cover) and decided against it. He's a good writer, but his love/hate relationship with all the things from his childhood (including much about the South) gets to be too condescending at times. I read the back of the cover and said to myself that Conroy was preaching again, and instead went for two Carlos Ruiz Zafon mysteries.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:28 PM   #473
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Did you enjoy that read? I looked at it for a few minutes the other night at the bookstore (read the back cover) and decided against it. He's a good writer, but his love/hate relationship with all the things from his childhood (including much about the South) gets to be too condescending at times. I read the back of the cover and said to myself that Conroy was preaching again, and instead went for two Carlos Ruiz Zafon mysteries.
I just started it . It's a hard book to get into so you are probably right . I don't usually read him but I was looking for something to take on my last trip . If it's a dog I'll just resell it on Amazon . Actually if it is a good read I'll also resell it on Amazon .That keeps my reading cost down . That's why I am hesitant to buy a Kindle . If the book is a dog you are stuck . No way to recoup some of the money or return it to the library .
Old 05-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #474

I just finished Azar Nafisi's "Things I've Been Silent About: Memories". I was first drawn to her writing after I read "Reading Lolita in Teheran". I attended a speakers series where she was featured soon after "Lolita" and found her indomitable spirit and independence amazing given the restrictive society in which she grew up. Moemg, I also like Pat Conroy's writing. I have just begun reading Alice Waters "In the Green Kitchen". I need a break from struggle in literature.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:03 PM   #475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I just started it . It's a hard book to get into so you are probably right . I don't usually read him but I was looking for something to take on my last trip.
If it turns out to be a good read please let me know and I might pick up a used copy. He can be hard to like consistently. He writes some good stories, and even some of his darker semi-autobiographical stuff can be intriguing (The Great Santini). But sometimes he comes across as self-righteous to the nth degree (The Water Is Wide).
Old 05-25-2010, 06:06 PM   #476
Moderator Emeritus

I am reading "Nothing to envy: ordinary lives in North Korea"... OMG, makes me count my blessings!
Old 05-25-2010, 06:51 PM   #477
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
So, on my Kindle I'm now tackling:

5. Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo, unabridged version which I last read in 1960 and it was worth $1.95. Ah! The tugs on my heartstrings.

6. War and Peace, by L. Tolstoy, unabridged version is free for the Kindle and is another that I have not read since 1960. I just downloaded it and it is next in line for me. I think it will mean far more to me now than it did when I was so young. Between Les Miserables and War and Peace, you will probably next hear from me on this thread in about a year.
Well, I got distracted and haven't re-read either yet. I am only now really getting started with Les Miserables. Victor Hugo is blowing my mind. I am getting so much more out of this book than I did when I was a kid, because of the broader perspective that comes with age. The things Hugo says are so relevant even today, and yet he also has insights on his time in history that only one who lived then, would have. I am swept away. I am a goner...
Old 05-26-2010, 04:33 PM   #478
Give me a forum ...

I am now half way through Pat Conroy's "South Of Broad " and it has gotten a whole lot better . It's a story that spans several years and a group of friends . It may be a better read for women as it has a slight chick plot .
Old 05-30-2010, 11:29 AM   #479

Storm Prey

Just finished John Sandford's Storm Prey, and was disappointed. On the last page one of the principal characters says: "The whole problem was, we're stupid people.", and that about sums up the whole book. Lots of stupid people, all the bad guys anyway.
Sorry to be a grouch, but thumbs down on this one.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:56 AM   #480
Moderator Emeritus

I'm failing to finish reading the materials for an online class in Wagner's Ring Cycle. Bummer, the lectures read like opera programs which is understandable since the instructor writes for music programs. The students in the discussion section are way beyond my background, mostly advanced music students or very very serious opera buffs; hopefully I can still learn something from them before the class closes on Tuesday.

Reminds me of Harry Brownes' idea of "previous investment trap." It's okay to drop out of class without squeezing every drop of value out of the tuition, and use the time for something else. It was all of $10. I don't know how many books I own but will never suffer all the way through.