Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #561
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Halfway through "Hollywood crows" by Joseph Wambaugh. Better than the previous "Hollywood station". But I still think that "The Choirboys" is his best so far.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #562
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
Reading The Big Short by Michael Lewis right now, like others here.

I can't believe how badly AIG got screwed by Goldman and other big banks, getting AIG to sell them credit defaults swaps on those synthetic CDOs with the bogus AAA ratings. It's amazing how unethically the big banks acted in these deals, putting together these synthetic CDOs that they knew were crap, just so AIG would sell CDS on them.

I think the big banks that did this may incur a little financial liability after it is all said and done.
That was a great read. I haven't been able to get that book off my mind yet.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #563

Restless
Unusual spy story set in WWII and the 1970s.
Liked it a lot. Two smilies.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #564

Brave New World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fantastic story. Can't believe I never read it before now.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:41 AM   #565

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Halfway through "Hollywood crows" by Joseph Wambaugh. Better than the previous "Hollywood station". But I still think that "The Choirboys" is his best so far.
Choirboys is a classic, but I like Wambaugh's Hollywood trilogy because it's obvious that he's working with new material. It's been decades since Wambaugh was a working cop, and from the acknowledgments in the Hollywood books it's obvious that he's refreshed his stuff by spending a lot of time with cops whose time on the street is more recent. It's fresher and more relevant.

There is no denying his ability to see the absurd in all of us, and turn it into hilarious and sad at the same time.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:45 AM   #566

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Brave New World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fantastic story. Can't believe I never read it before now.
Isn't it great to discover that some of these famous classics live up to their hype?

Thanks for the Wikipedia link. I read Brave New World in high school, and from the Wikipedia article, it looks like a lot of it went over my head. Also seems like I am going to have to read Men Like Gods to see what inspired it.

Have you read 1984? They are often read together.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #567
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just finished Medium Raw by Athony Bourdain, the author of Kitchen Confidential. Kitchen Confidential was funny, gritty and angry. Medium Raw's Bourdain is an older, mellower guy writing as his cover blurb says, "A bloody valentine to the world of food and the people who cook." It is a very enjoyable read, especially if you are a bit of a foodie.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #568

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
Isn't it great to discover that some of these famous classics live up to their hype?

Thanks for the Wikipedia link. I read Brave New World in high school, and from the Wikipedia article, it looks like a lot of it went over my head. Also seems like I am going to have to read Men Like Gods to see what inspired it.

Have you read 1984? They are often read together.
Read 1984 back in high school, or maybe middle school. I probably should go back and read it again to see what I missed, forgot, or have changed my mind about. My distrust of strong central government might be hereditary, but reading 1984 certainly only solidified it, if it didn't deepen it.

I was tempted to add Men Like Gods for the same reason it interests you, but I'm working my way through a list of 200+ books and I've forced myself to stop adding to it until I finish the list.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #569
Give me a forum ...

I am reading my first ebook . Is it a classic ? Yes it 's classic Evanovich. "Sizzling Sixteen " . As usual a good fun read .
Old 07-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #570
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mowed the grass, washed the cars, and played in the ESPN 2 man local qualifier. We were one stroke out of the scratch division, but won the net by 3 shots. So now we have to win one more to go to vegas. There were several guys in the tournament today that qualified for vegas last year, so hopefully we have a shot. I did play one of my best rounds today though. I guess I'll have to practice some now.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:12 AM   #571
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
A national park?
Mt. Rushmore and Devils Tower...
Old 07-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #572
Give me a forum ...

Finished "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest," the final volume in Stieg Larrson's Lizbeth Salander trilogy. This one is quite good as were the others. Salander closes the book on some reprehensible characters from previous books. this is definitely a trilogy that should be read in order.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:35 PM   #573
Give me a forum ...

If you want a laugh out loud read get "**** my Dad says " . It is the funniest book I have ever read and if you ever had a crazy relative you will definitely identify with this book . It's funny ,irreverent and just a great read !
Old 07-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #574
Confused about dryer sheets

The Ringing Cedars of Russia book series. They have changed my life and the direction I'm going in. Looking for answers to the worlds ills? These books are written to help us understand why we have created the problems we find in every corner of the globe. A must read for anyone who cares a hoot about the future of your children and the human race in general.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #575
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Mt. Rushmore and Devils Tower...
Saw your post about this on another thread . Are you keeping track of how many National Park sites you've been to? Bucket list? I went to an obscure one last fall and the park ranger said a guy came thru who only needed three more to complete the list.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #576
Give me a forum ...

I also finished "The Nearest Exit" recently. This is Olen Steinhauer's followup to "The Tourist," featuring Milo Weaver, a CIA Assassin with a bit of existential angst. Like "The Tourist", this is a very good spy thriller -- about 8.5. The jacket cover says "The Tourist" will be filmed starring George Clooney. Should be good.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:37 PM   #577
Give me a forum ...

"Spies of the Balkans," by Alan Furst is a good read. Furst is known for writing good historical spy novels. This one features a policeman in Solonika helping Jews escape from Germany in the months leading up to the occupation of Greece. I will put a hold on one or two of his earlier books soon.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #578

Thanks Don, didn't know about this new Furst novel. I've liked several of Furst's books. I think the first Furst I read was The World at Night followed by the sequel Red Gold which was the better of these two. Blood of Victory was my favorite of his books.

P.S. Just put a hold on this. I'm number 134 in the library queue so the word is definitely out on this author.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:32 PM   #579
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
Thanks Don, didn't know about this new Furst novel. I've liked several of Furst's books. I think the first Furst I read was The World at Night followed by the sequel Red Gold which was the better of these two. Blook of Victory was my favorite of his books.

P.S. Just put a hold on this. I'm number 134 in the library queue so the word is definitely out on this author.
I will go with your two faves next.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #580
Give me a forum ...

Just about finished with Liar's Poker by Michael Lewis . I'm still on the waiting list for The Big Short . Liar's Poker was interesting .